Graphic Cards What should I check if I'm buying a used GPU?

1. First and foremost, always buy one which has sufficient local warranty remaining so that even if you face any issues or observe any you can get it replaced. So even if it was used for mining the warranty warranties you some insurance.
  2. Compare its price with newer ones as cards have became uber cheap esp 1x 2x and 3x series.
  3. Look for over-burn marks on the circuit, soldered components and the bus.
  4. Fan condition/broken etc.
  5. Rusting on ports, heat pipes or anything on the circuitry.
  6. Bulged/blown capacitors or even missing ones.
  7. On-board leds working if any.
  8. No after market parts like fans, thermal pads, gpu bracket etc. as these can be a warranty denial cause.
  9. Working ports. I remember someone got a card with only 2 hdmis working so..
  10. Run the card through a stress test such as Furmark to see if it’s stable under full load. Some graphics cards in the early stages of failure will continue to work under a light load but fail when pushed to work at 100%.
  11. Temps. Idle should be well under 45-50 and load should be under 100 though safe spot is always 90-92c depending how high-end powerful is the gpu family.
  12. When in doubt always do a F2F deal but keep patience rather than hurrying.
  13. If the seller is hesitating to provide evidences or test results or hiding something. it indicates a Red flag so avoid even if the deal seems an ice-cream!

Last edited:
Start by asking screenshots/video of the benchmarks (Unigine/TimeSpy) + thermal tests (10-15 mins of Furmark should be more than enough). If the benchmarks is off by more than 1-2% of online database results that could indicate an issue.

Thereafter you may proceed with the rest of the checks listed nicely above. One seller here on TE outright disagreed to provide the test results and linked me to some random YouTube video instead. Was also claiming he fed it 600W while OC'ing - bullet dodged lol.

Seller sent me this video. I know zero. If anyone could spare a minute to see it and let me know if it passes the test I'd really appreciate it.

Cant post a video so posting a screenshot.

How do I initiate RMA? Do I need a registered email id ? ANy link to where I can enter serial number to see remaining warranty?

Attachments

• Screenshot_99.jpg
    Screenshot_99.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_92.jpg
    Screenshot_92.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
How do I initiate RMA? Do I need a registered email id ? ANy link to where I can enter serial number to see remaining warranty?
Depends as brands have become stringent off-late so if not now then may be in future the communication and identity might require the original buyer to initiate any RMA..

Last edited:
No, you don't need any registered email id for Gigabyte. No, you cannot enter your serial number anywhere to check. You have your invoice for that.
You just need to take the card with the invoice to the service center. I am surprised that no one has answered here yet. There are at least 50 members here who must have done the RMA. I have RMAED a Gigabyte 2070 super which was bought in 2019 and it was clearly out of warranty according to 3 years rule and I didn't have the invoice, but it was registered for an extended warranty, so I sent it to the service center, but I forgot to send them any proof of extended warranty. They still RMAed it even after 3.5 years. The card is up for sale right now with RMA proof.
All warranties from all brands start from the date of purchase. NO, brands don't ask for id proof or anything. It is a baseless rumor going on for the last 5 years. People have RMAED multiple cards from all brands and never faced any issue. Gigabyte has a very relax warranty policy. I also used to think that an invoice must have the govt of India seal along with a seal from air force, Navy and US army and it is invalid unless it has the signature of Modi so when I bought a Gigabyte card 6 months back, I also mailed them and asked if the warranty is valid. They sent me a textbook response and told me that the warranty starts from date of purchase mentioned in my invoice. They told me to take the invoice and card to the service center and don't bug them ever again. Same response from ASUS.
I had one card from Gigabyte which had serial number sticker missing and I still got a favorable response from them that they would still RMA it. That's gigabyte for you.

OK Guys,

Getting a Gigabyte 3080ti a year old vs a RMAed Zotac 3080ti with 22 months left on the warranty. The only issue I have with the Gigabyte is that the invoice is from a store that I can't find on the internet.

Seller has great reviews. I've never spent 50K on a used item from an unknown person, so looking for final suggestions please.

Then go for Rmaed Zotac. Since it is Rmaed so warranty is confirmed and verified. I think only you should take a final call on this and not rely on anyone. It is your hard earned money.

OK Guys,

Getting a Gigabyte 3080ti a year old vs a RMAed Zotac 3080ti with 22 months left on the warranty. The only issue I have with the Gigabyte is that the invoice is from a store that I can't find on the internet.

Seller has great reviews. I've never spent 50K on a used item from an unknown person, so looking for final suggestions please.
Whats the price diff. ?

Back