What should I do with older Computers/Monitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arya

Adept
I have some old hardware at my office
  • bunch of old computers (10+). Most are around 7-10 years old. Some even older. first/second gen i5, X3, E6600. A lot of variety.
  • Some laptops - Older gen i3, i5s. Macbook pros (older than 2014).
  • 7-8 x 17" Dell LCD monitors.
Some of these machines work but they are a very slow for our needs. Because of covid most team members have switched to newer macbooks and ryzen desktops.

We want to clear the clutter from the office and before we give it away as e-waste I wanted to check if someone would be interested in older stuff. What do you guys usually do?

You could sell them , give them away to random people here OR you could find some people in need and give it to them.

1st / 2nd Gen i5 can still work very well as a basic office PC once a SSD is added as a Boot Drive. 8GB RAM would make it last a few more years easily.

I'm pretty sure there will be many takers if you list them for sale here.

Last edited:
Honestly I don't know what is a good price point for those. These have i only VGA/DVI inputs. No HDMI. Purchased between 2010-13.
1st / 2nd Gen i5 can still work very well as a basic office PC once a SSD is added as a Boot Drive. 8GB RAM would make it last a few more years easily.

I'm pretty sure there will be many takers if you list them for sale here.
Thanks. Will do that by the weekend.

You could sell them , give them away to random people here OR you could find some people in need and give it to them.
Here I am, doing it the easy way :)

@raksrules I was wrong. Those are all 19". AFAIK all are in working condition. Will test them over the weekend.

I don't remember what half of this stuff is. - https://copper-bottom-4bd.notion.site/Office-Stuff-022e95ba92604a9ab6c918b2184fba04

I will make an effort to test and list all these things. Please feel free to reach out if something looks interesting.
Cool. Even i'm looking at building a basic home NAS now. I can pick a PC if it fits my budget.

I have a 2 bay buffalo NAS. It was working last I checked. However, I don't know if it is still supported. I do need to find its adapter.

I have a 2 bay buffalo NAS. It was working last I checked. However, I don't know if it is still supported. I do need to find its adapter.
Check and let me know. If you're planning to create a sale thread, count me as #1

It powers on. May require a reset in case in my last setup I gave it a static IP. This thing had a torrent client too. Pretty incredible for a little device back then.

Check and let me know. If you're planning to create a sale thread, count me as #1
Send me a PM. You can arrange a pickup, see if you get it working. Pay whatever you want if it works. Here is the manual - https://www.manualslib.com/manual/684538/Buffalo-Cloudstation-Cs-X.html?page=4#manual

You'll need to clean it. Lots of dust inside. I have another dlink 2bay nas lined up for e-cycling too. Will get it out of someone else wants a shot at it.

I'd like to buy one of the macbook pros if the condition is good.

Will need to check these. In some batteries may be dead because those have not been in use for couple of years. But surely we can swap components and get 2-3 macbooks working. Chargers are the bigger problem though. Those magsafe chargers and ports were major pain.

Attachments

• IMG_0367.jpg
    IMG_0367.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 46
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back