PC Peripherals what to do with old people ? dump em ?

er... i meant old computer

i have a p3 633 mhz (HP 7700 pavilion)

remains is mobo, cabinate, processor, and 128 + 64 sd.

what should i do ?

sell it peice by peice ?
sell it whole ?
dont sell use as proxy someday(5 years from now or so) ?

please advice the price i can get for my (52k) pc, mentioned above

Well my 50k pc Celeron 266 with 128mb ram and 20gig hdd is right now acting as a download client and a proxy server for my other computer. This baby reamins online all day downloading torrents. So maybe u can use it for some similar app. Hey urs is a p3 man so it can be hell lottt more useful. maybe a jukebox but too powerful to use it as a jukebox :p

Well you guys who are using a standalone pc for a router/proxy, what software are you using to do that? Also does it do port forwarding?

I am thinking of designating a pc for routing/downloading work (a p3). I have 4 pc's on the LAN rite now and that will be the 5th one as Im planning to build a new comp :) It will just be a standalone box with no keyboard/mouse/monitor, autologins to windows and connects to internet and can be controlled via vnc or remote desktop.

Well if you want it without a HDD you could probably use a live firewall linux CD, and use it for your purpose. Never tried it myself, but you could get some info on this from any search engine.

Well i have a HP8505 older than urs

I will be using it just to access net.

Its the best why Viruses mess with my main rig.

Dont care if any infection happens to this.

Well i do protect my PC with loads of things - AV,Firewall,Spyware Removal, etcc...

Hmm, my P3 450 is lying useless too. It runs Win98 so networking should not be a problem.

Read about some dude on the net who converted his P2 Linux box into his web server !

He still gets 20GIGS of web space which he can even sell off !

Someone please post how to setup a webserver or router with such PC's.

To run a webserver,I think u need a fat pipe net connection first-atleast a 1 Mbps line.So while the idea to use old computers as webservers is good abroad ,I don't think its feasible here.
I am not much into webhosting and site creation stuff,but theoretically, any comp. can be made into a webserver provided its got a net connection thats upto snuff.Rest is just software.

Well i am running slackware linux on mu old celeron and setting it up is easy and u can define the firewall rules with ipconfig. Do let me know if u need a detailed explanation

How about as a media server? Plug an el-cheapo FX5200 or something in, as well as a TV tuner card and a fairly modern sound card, et voila! A media server..load it up with MP3s, FLACs and DIVX rips. I've done that with a P3-500, works just fine with an 802.11g router. My laptop and primary desktop both have wireless enabled, so I can surf the net and listen to MP3s from the pot...

;)

I have a P4 1.7gig box to spare. I liked yer idea TechHead, might go with that. Additionally, i'm loading up a Unix flavor onto the box and hooking it up to my current rig. can't use it as a Download drone, cuz i have nothing to download :) Will probably use it for Distributed computing projects :)

sunnydiv said:
please more info

Well since u have a 500Mhz processor u can load any good distro like Suse 9.3 and then enable DHCP for the clients to access the net through it. Also u can set up the torrent downloading using any good bittorrent client. Well I dont know what else to say in detail. Hope u are famaliar with installing and partitioning.

Also u need all the necessay hardware for networking. If u are connecting two computers one to one then u can use crossover cabling and thus saving the cost for hubs n switches :)
MaxX said:
Well you guys who are using a standalone pc for a router/proxy, what software are you using to do that? Also does it do port forwarding?

you dont need any special software to enable the proxy feature in linux. Setting up DHCP server on will itself be enough. Also port forwarding can be enabled :)
with iptables u can even filter the traffic :clap:

sunnydiv said:
yeh i wanna do that too, please someone tell

i would so much like it if it were without HDD too :p

Well u can use knopix for that. Needs only a cdrom and 128mb ram to boot.

ALso there are distros like Smooth Wall Linux that functions only as a firewall and a filtering software that can run even on a 486 and needs less than 200mb for install

archish said:
you dont need any special software to enable the proxy feature in linux. Setting up DHCP server on will itself be enough. Also port forwarding can be enabled :)
with iptables u can even filter the traffic :clap:
Well u can use knopix for that. Needs only a cdrom and 128mb ram to boot.

ALso there are distros like Smooth Wall Linux that functions only as a firewall and a filtering software that can run even on a 486 and needs less than 200mb for install

http://www.smoothwall.org/

Smoothwall sounds good, I will look into it :) Wonder if it has NAT, port forwarding capabilities.

Back