What to look for in an AC stabilizer?

calvin1719

Mostly harmless.
Adept
Hello

I need some advice in buying a new AC stabilizer. Just had my AC checked and it seems the stabilizer is giving an output of 260V+ which is overheating the compressor causing frequent shutdowns. I had the guy test his multimeter at another outlet in the house, it was showing 223V. The AC outlet was also 223V.

It seems the stab just malfunctioned which is strange to me but the readings seemed correct. This guy was urban company and denied that he could sell me a stabilizer when I asked, so I don't think he was trying to scam me into buying a new one.

The AC is a Blue Star window 1.5 ton. I'm not sure about efficiency but I don't think it's more than 1 or 2*. What do I need to check when buying a stabilizer for it? The ones I see on Amazon are 2000-4500, what is the difference between the cheap and expensive ones? I want something reliable and durable. Any brand recommendations? Currently considering Microtek. The one I have is some generic one I think.

get V-Guard or Microtek. They have been default choices for decades.

Go to a shop & pick it up. Not many discounts on these. You will get it without damage too!

I bought a microtek EM4170+, previous one seems to be some electro something, a brand i've never heard of.

From what I could make out, the price difference in 2k to 4k to 7k were mostly double/triple boost (i think that's the correct term), basically the lowest input voltage they could handle while still giving the correct output voltage.

I guess it's late but I'd say lookout for at least a 100% copper wound and a one with a digital display so that you know what's the input/output voltage to make sure it's working correctly.
Another important thing is input range. You need to know what lowest and highest voltage in your area is. In my area I get high voltages a lot of around 280V so a stabilizer with max input range of 270V wouldn't work for me and it would just cut-off.
I would need a one with max 300-320V.
Also if one has budget then can oversize it by 25-50% so that it runs a bit cooler and has good life.

I guess it's late but I'd say lookout for at least a 100% copper wound and a one with a digital display so that you know what's the input/output voltage to make sure it's working correctly.
Another important thing is input range. You need to know what lowest and highest voltage in your area is. In my area I get high voltages a lot of around 280V so a stabilizer with max input range of 270V wouldn't work for me and it would just cut-off.
I would need a one with max 300-320V.
Also if one has budget then can oversize it by 25-50% so that it runs a bit cooler and has good life.
Yeah the copper wound thing is one thing I had vaguely heard about but I couldn't find much info on. I'm not too worried about the high cut off; we have a genset and I don't generally see high voltages or low voltages, just some fluctuations from time to time.

I needed to buy one sort of quickly and didn't wait for responses here, but I'll keep it in mind for the next one.

Back