What was your first operating system in the PC?

Its the DOS - The Universal Commandment to the computers. Simple syntaxes! In my childhood, i got amazed when i type MKDIR, CD.., RMDIR, etc. DOS introduced me the games like Good'ol' Prince of persia, Dangerous Dave, Paranoid. Still, i use the CMD for ftping files to servers. Its like your 1st lover - though you dint connect with her, you will still think of her.

Then came the Windows XP.

Dos 2 to 6, System 7 (os of Apple PC in the 286 or 386 era) , Win 3.1, Win 95, Mac OS 8, Mac OS 9, Win 98/98SE, Win ME, Win NT 4, Win NT 2000, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows XP (both 32 and 64 bit), Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 , Windows 7, Ubuntu, Debian, BEOS, Novell Netware 4.x, Slackware.

All the linux versions except debian and ubuntu, I only used for very short period of time like 4-5 months before removing them.
Edit: the list is is no particular order. I've frequently used two to three os's at the same time. Ex Mac OS8 at office whereas windows at home.

Win 95(Relative's Pc)<Win 98(My Pc)<Win XP<........<Win 7(Current)

Longest i have used is XP then currently using 7 and then Windows 98

Dad's Office: DOS. At home Dos and windows 98: I remember a game in which we were a space car jumping from tracks to tracks. It had Mars and a few more. Although i had a demo. 3 levels only! :p

DOS > 3.1 > 95 > 98 > XP > Vista -> 7

DOS - Felt awesome. Geeky. All those lines of text going up after i press some command. Super cool.
3.1 - First taste of GUI - used on a black and white monitor.
95 - Wow color (because i got a new PC with color monitor then)
98 - Even better than 95
XP - Still was using in my office laptop till 3 months back. My work programs don't really work well on windows 7. Used 98 for lot of time and was reluctant to change to XP, don't remember why.
Win 7 - Using it now after i got a replacement office laptop.

DOS --> Win 95 --> Win 98 --> Win XP --> Win Vista --> Win 7

Vista was used for a very small period of around 2 months.
Used Mint for a while when my friend's HDD died, so that I can teach him a bit.

1993 summer computer coaching camp for Kids . It pretty sure look like DOS. Played lot of games on mathematics, alphabets..also prince of persia.
1995 Win 95 .Amazed and had goose bumps seeing computer with mouse and speakers attached to them.the CD Drive Creative had remote contol too. Played the game warcraft. Still cherish those moments.
2000 - Win Me & Win 98
2004 - Win XP
2008 - Vista
2010 - Win 7

MSDOS 5.x, SCO Unix, Win 3.1, Win98SE, WinME :| WinXP, Win7. Never used Vista. Used RHL 7 in the middle out of curiosity :p

Back