Other What will happen if I plug in my Macbook Adapter into my Phone?

salian

Disciple
The Macbook and Samsung phone both have USB C charging ports.

Every day when my phone battery is low, I am tempted to plug in my laptop charger into my phone instead of walking over to the phone charging hub at my other desk.

What will happen if I plug in my 67W Macbook USB-C Power Adapter into my Samsung phone?

Edit: Once long ago I plugged-in the adapter of my Tata Indicom Walky WLL phone into my Reliance WLL phone. Both phones looked exactly the same, but unfortunately all the magic smoke escaped from that phone. So once bitten twice shy.

Every day when my phone battery is low, I am tempted to plug in my laptop charger into my phone instead of walking over to the phone charging hub at my other desk.

What will happen if I plug in my 67W Macbook USB-C Power Adapter into my Samsung phone?

Edit: Once long ago I plugged-in the adapter of my Tata Indicom Walky WLL phone into my Reliance WLL phone. Both phones looked exactly the same, but unfortunately all the magic smoke escaped from that phone. So once bitten twice shy.
nothing, your phone will charge as expected. We use all type C chargers interchangeably between laptops, phones and tabs in my house.

Magic smoke in last case would have occurred because 1 phone would have been a 12V input phone and the other probably 5V - and the power supply a dumb 12V DC out .

Type C power is smarter than that and the charger actually queries the device for the voltage and current it expects.
On a side note, this is also the reason why one should always use certified and fully compliant chargers for all type C devices instead of the no name generic versions prevalent on most shopping sites (and yes, your macbook 67W charger is a fully USB C compliant charger)

Modern usb devices have built in bms (battery management systems) they can automatically manage the amount of current and voltage they can optimally charge at. Now a macbook charger is capable of usb power delivery (that's a usb charging standard) upto 67w, and most samsung phone can take usb pd charging upto 25w the newer phones can handle upto 45w, so if you plug your macbook charger into your phone it will charge either at 25w or 45w depending on your phone. Nothing bad will happen.

I have been using my Lenovo 65W laptop USB C charger to charge my phones since 2019 (earlier LG and now Samsung S20FE). No issues faced.
Infact many in my office advised me not to do so as they feared that it might damage the phone. I told them not to worry, the phone and charger are smart enough.

Subsequently many of them started using the laptop charger for phones as well :).

Devices draw power, you don't push power into the device. So it doesn't matter if the adaptor is 69W or 6900W, the device which is plugged into will draw whatever maximum it's needs/allowed to draw.

Back