Graphic Cards Whats up with 3d? does hd5850 support?

TheOneVj

Disciple
im getting a 120hrtz moniter, either the samsung or asus, to play 3d. both under 20k.
my confusion lies in the fact that ATI hasnt officialy said anything about 3d , while Nvidia has 3d supporting cards. so with 15k to spare for a card, what should i do?
so, if i buy the hd5850 will it play 3d games n 3d movies? if not then what are my options?
and of course i'll get the nvidia 3d glass kit in couple of months. but for now i want to be 3d ready.
another question i had about 3d is that: lets say my set up plays 3d n i even hav the glasses with the ammiter then will all content played on this pc appear to be 3d? or do i require 3d specific media?
i hope tht makes sense, please throw some light on 3d for me.

p.s: planned setup i5 760 + intel dh55 tc + hd 5850 + 4gb ram + 120hrtz moniter.

Don't buy ATI HD5850 u will not get 3d effect, it doesnot support 3D u have to buy, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465 this will fit on ur budget same or can say more powerful than ATI HD5850.......

header_productshot1.png
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465

The new HD6xxx series has 3D support. The HD6870 has performance similar to HD5850 and will e priced slightly cheaper. The card is gonna be launched next week. So just wait for for few days before deciding.

As DarkAngel put it HD 6*** series from AMD ATi will support 3D so wait before making your purchase and instead of GTX 465 get the GTX 460, a much better performer then its hotter sibling the GTX 465, also if you want to view things on 3D on your system, following tips

Yes you will need graphics or other visual media which is properly defined in 3D properties as otherwise the illusion projected will not be of good quality or it might not display in 3D

3D grahics will further strain your eyes, I've gone to watch 3D movies in IMax and all and always end up with a head splitting headache for some reason, I'm not sure if this will repeat if it is on home system but on personal experience I'm a bit wary of this 3D effect clamor.

links for help

MSI GeForce GTX 460 Cyclone 768MB OC Review

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB & GTX 460 768MB Review

ASUS GeForce GTX 465 1GB Review

Everything You Need to Know about Nvidia

Hope this helped :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

3D is all marketting hype and people who have used it will tell you its just gimmiky not worth all the investment for just 3D. Instead of spending extra on a 120hz monitor I suggest spending the same on a good ips panel and extra money on a gpu and play at 1920 rez.

Get the 460 1gb cyclone its retailing for 13k now i think. Also its reccomended getting a board from Gigabyte rather than "ooorijinal intel" .

What PSU are you planning with this setup, with your board you will be able to add another 460 and that might be a good option a few months down the line when 460's are a fair bit cheaper and you get some heavy DX11 games on the market. Dont skimp on the psu get min Corsair VX550.

i'd wait for the HD6xxx series personally.

sorry to go off-topic

but can the VX450 handle the MSI GTX 4601GB Talon Attack ?

how much does the talon attack go for? and frankly guys I'm in no mood to wait for the hd6*** series. I've made my decision about the 120hrtz, its gonna be the Asus 23" tht coms for 28k including the Nvidia 3d vision kit.
Other than that I'm going for 600w PSU. the mobo I'm going for is asus, forgot the model but its for arround 6600.

Okay for that Talon due to being an upper-crust card will set you back by 14-15K depends, where you buy it from

You'll need a monitor with HDMI 1.4a to get 3d video. The 5000 series of ATi has only HDMI 1.3. ATi supports 3d in games through 3rd party developers.
Nvidia has better games support for 3d...but make sure your card has enough horse power though.

Back