What's your opinion about Tobacco in India?

In March this year for the first time the worlds tobacco policy makers are going to meet in India. India is one of the largest (i think third) tobacco consumers in the world. Everyday 55,000 children under the age of 15 start consuming tobacco and gutkha.

Since the 14th World Conference on Tobacco or Health is being held here in India, I think we can actually have an influence on the decisions made here with the help of Salaam Bombay Foundation and NGO that has been working to help Children quit their nicotine addiction.

We have started someting called the voice of India. Can I hear the voice of Techenclave? Can put up a page to opinions dedicated from TE on that site.

You can be positive or negative, biased smoker or non smoker, your opinion on government policies, the ban, gutkha, manufacturers, surrogate advertisements anything related to tobacco? If you want to check other peoples opinions take a look at the link above and let us have yours. Thanks :)

Heh, well you start with the loaded statement that 55k children under the age of 15 are consuming tobacco.

It is illegal in this country and in many others to sell tobacco to minors.

If all you are asking for is the law be enforced specifically to address this issue i doubt you would get much opposition.

If this is a veiled attempt to increases taxes to pay for said enforcement then the response will be mixed.

hmmm good point but taxes have been raised every year and nothing has really happened to be honest, the number of people smoking increase the number of children year on year increases

the government will happily raise taxes as its more revenue for them, I am providing facts as to what the situation is, I need your opnion not based on what I have said but what you feel about the future of tobacco in India and what needs to be done etc..

The other point is 55k children needs to be put into perspective, i mean there are far worse things that happen to an order of magnitude higher number of kids in this country isn't it.

Seen from that perspective i get the impression the kids are not the real issue but its non-smokers wanting to push ever more increasing restrictions onto smokers, a bit disingenous i think.

All about the non-smokers and not the kids.

sure 55k children need a new perspective, Two Out of Five Cancer Cases in India Due to Tobacco ( Claiming that nearly 2000 Indians die ...) according to that article 2k people die of cance everyday and two out of 5 are due to tobacco.

i think smokers really have no clue wat happens to them, i think we need an education on tobacco, the cancers, firstly why is marijuana or cocaine illegal if its safer and even has medicinal effects rather than harmful effects on the human body?

my stand is completly irrelevant as all I want is your opinion rather than a debate to be honest, I smoke like once in perhaps a month or two thats a cigarette, i like it when im drunk but apart from that i have my bronchitis to take care off, I used to smoke a pack a day during college

I have nothing against smokers :) now can i have your opinion hhahahah :D

The only step I fell necessary is informing the people that tobacco and related products are harmful. But the government already does much via ads, messages on cartons etc. If anything more can be done then it should be done. Other than that its personal choice. People smoke at their own choice, if they end up dying they die by their own choice. They had it coming and why should others interfere.

As for children, most of them end up choosing tobacco is to gain social acceptance. That also can be taken care by education so that one can make an informed decision. Of course that would involve bringing dangers of smoking into the present education system (if not much is being done already).

blr_p said:
Seen from that perspective i get the impression the kids are not the real issue but its non-smokers wanting to push ever more increasing restrictions onto smokers, a bit disingenous i think.

hammerhead said:
Other than that its personal choice. People smoke at their own choice, if they end up dying they die by their own choice. They had it coming and why should others interfere.

Well, I would say that even if its just non-smokers imposing restrictions on smokers, I would say its only fair.

Smoking is the worst of the addictions in my opinion. Unlike alcohol consumpstion or drugs where only the addict and his family face the consequences, smoking has a much wider range of damange. Even non-smokers who have nothing with a smoker are forced to face the consequences due to to indirect consumption. It may be a matter of personal choice if some one wants to take poison, but it no longer remains a personal choice when others are being forced to consume the same poison.

I cannot say tobacco should be banned, but at least make it so damn costly that people will think twice before smoking. I am all in for a Rs 200 or 500 per Cigerette/Beedi or whatever.

Actually My Question: What are you feeling while smoking?. Are u feeling anything special, feeling like ur enjoying it, ur in heaven.. Are you feeling like u got more pleasure n joy.

Some dirty n dangerous smoke people are taking in inside. Some even don't know what are they feeling, while they smoking. Just keeping as a habbit, just copying some body, just thinking smoking is a status symbol.

I have smoked it. i never felt anything special. some taste of smoke coming inside that'z all.

How does it our body handles. our lungs full of Black substances and ashes (CO2), and life ends soon, coughing and spitting blood.

That's the end of a smoker.

My opinion, addicted should try to quit.Tobacco and gutkha both are fast poison and welcome things for mouth cancer and injuries to health.Immediate ban will result worse otherwise it should be avoided on first priority. Well i am strictly non smoker and hate chewing tobacoo/gutkha etc.Thank GOD i never had such things in life.

arihant3123 said:
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Abey 500 per ciggy, that means 10000 per pack. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Exactly... :p and thats how it should be. Tobacco has its fair share of benifits (when taken in minute quantities and only when reqd) along with the bodily harm it causes just like with most drugs or alcohol. Its the abuse of these substances and the root of the problem and tobacco is widely abused. Keeping costs high will make sure that people will treat it as they would a costly medicine and not abuse it.

I would say the same for caffene too. Even abusing coffee is bad. But atleast the impact of coffee is on the abuser only.

Lord Nemesis said:
Well, I would say that even if its just non-smokers imposing restrictions on smokers, I would say its only fair.

Smoking is the worst of the addictions in my opinion. Unlike alcohol consumpstion or drugs where only the addict and his family face the consequences, smoking has a much wider range of damange. Even non-smokers who have nothing with a smoker are forced to face the consequences due to to indirect consumption. It may be a matter of personal choice if some one wants to take poison, but it no longer remains a personal choice when others are being forced to consume the same poison.

I cannot say tobacco should be banned, but at least make it so damn costly that people will think twice before smoking. I am all in for a Rs 200 or 500 per Cigarette/Beedi or whatever.

I am all for punching a smoker on the nose whenever he smokes in public areas. Speaking for the side of smokers, all the smokers I have encountered have put off the cigarette when asked to do so politely (when they were smoking in front of me). Should the case arise that a smoker refuses to do so one should have the right to damage his health like he damages ours.

chill guys theres no need to get agressive, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so lets try to stick to opinions on tobacco in india and no personal attacks no attacking smokers and non smokers :) hari om

nithinmohantk said:
Actually My Question: What are you feeling while smoking?. Are u feeling anything special, feeling like ur enjoying it, ur in heaven.. Are you feeling like u got more pleasure n joy.

Some dirty n dangerous smoke people are taking in inside. Some even don't know what are they feeling, while they smoking. Just keeping as a habbit, just copying some body, just thinking smoking is a status symbol.

I have smoked it. i never felt anything special. some taste of smoke coming inside that'z all.

How does it our body handles. our lungs full of Black substances and ashes (CO2), and life ends soon, coughing and spitting blood.

That's the end of a smoker.
Is that you in your avatar?

Lord Nemesis said:
Even non-smokers who have nothing with a smoker are forced to face the consequences due to to indirect consumption. It may be a matter of personal choice if some one wants to take poison, but it no longer remains a personal choice when others are being forced to consume the same poison.

I dont know why poeple make this point. Non smokers drive cars and bikes, everyone around them has to inhale that smoke too, which is not good for your health so should we ban cars and bikes too because others are forced to consume poison.
To the guy who started this topic, thanks to tobbaco thousands of ppl have jobs ( making beedis etc) , what are they and their families going to do if you ban beedis and ciggs.

Hacker said:
I dont know why poeple make this point. Non smokers drive cars and bikes, everyone around them has to inhale that smoke too, which is not good for your health so should we ban cars and bikes too because others are forced to consume poison.

To the guy who started this topic, thanks to tobbaco thousands of ppl have jobs ( making beedis etc) , what are they and their families going to do if you ban beedis and ciggs.

The world would come to a standstill if it were not for automobiles. Can you say the same for ciggies?

Also, you smoke ciggs only so that you can help someone eat 3 meals a day? (assuming you smoke that is)

Hacker said:

That is the most pathetic argument I have ever heard in support of smoking. Cars and bikes actually do something useful. Cigerattes are pathetic excuse so that someone can pretend to be 'cool' among his friends and he gets additced to the same and then makes lame reasons to justify as to why he smokes.

Back