Car & Bike When is right time to change Bike Tyres ?

raksrules

Elite
I am using a Honda Unicorn. It was bought in October of 2007. The bike has done around 17.5K Kilometers till now. It is mostly being used for city riding and that too sparsely.
The stock tyres are MRF Nylo-Zapper something.
Want to know what is the right time to get the tyres of the bike changed ? I feel that the tyres on my bike may have become "bald", you know what i mean right ?
I will try posting pictures for others to see.
If now is the time to change then what tyre brand would you suggest ? I do not want Fat tyres as i believe they reduce mileage (but give better road grip ?).
How much cost am i expecting ?
Also any reliable shop in Pune to get the tyres replaced ?

I was getting some problems like frequent tyre puncture and loss of control on wet slippery surface. I was replaced mine with MRF Nylo Grip plus last month, purchased for ₹1800/-

check your tire's tread depth, anything below say 1mm is implies a replacement is necessary, but that depends on how the bike feels - I had bald Pirellis that still gripped much better than brand new Ceats in the dry. Also replace if you see cracks/damage on the tire

If you plan to replace the tyres, just get a stock size set, if possible the OE set for unicorn these days (ask a HH dealer). Good shops - There is a tyre shop opposite Garware college. Or Anand tyre works near the BSNL exchange in Aundh.

Attached are front and back pictures of the tyres.

Attachments

• Photo Dec 30, 12 28 20 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 30, 12 28 20 PM.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 2,886
  • Photo Dec 30, 12 28 33 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 30, 12 28 33 PM.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 2,902
I think time to change the rear one. I am assuming you use rear brake more than the front one??

Please avoid that practice for a safer ride. Use front first/more and rear to complement it. The bike will be more in control then. Wondered why super bikes have 2 disc in front? Otherwise you will end up on your ass one day.

Yes i do use rear brake more than front. Back is drum brake and front is disc. Ideally i suppose one should use both together right ?

Yes i do use rear brake more than front. Back is drum brake and front is disc. Ideally i suppose one should use both together right ?
60-70% front, 30-40% rear. It's simple dynamics; the front wheel takes the majority of the force no matter which brake you apply, and it is better to give it increased stopping power than the rear wheel so that the bike can be controlled properly.

Ideally yes.. but you would want to develop a habit of braking using the disc more often. Drum brakes lock up and cause skidding a lot. I hardly use the rear brake and mostly use the front disc's.
Also my suggestion would be to change both the tyres. Both look a bit worn out. I changed the tyres on my Uni after 45k kms and the tyre fellow was like.. Sir why u changing the tyres; they look awesome, I said 45k kms dude.. he went whaaaaaaaa !!!!

@raksrules

You have a family damn it... Learn to brake properly... :mad: :mad: :mad:

I was of the presumption that since the motor drives the rear wheel it is more important to use rear brake than front. I will definitely exercise caution from now. I rarely ride now a days. May be doing 3-4 Kilometers per week. Yes that less. I just go to buy groceries etc and drive in ok speeds, no over speeding and helmet is mandatory else no riding for me.
But yes i do understand that using brakes properly is something i should do.
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I was of the presumption that since the motor drives the rear wheel it is more important to use rear brake than front. I will definitely exercise caution from now. I rarely ride now a days. May be doing 3-4 Kilometers per week. Yes that less. I just go to buy groceries etc and drive in ok speeds, no over speeding and helmet is mandatory else no riding for me.
But yes i do understand that using brakes properly is something i should do.
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Chillax dude.. our whole life is one big massive learning experience. However I would suggest you to slowly shift your braking from rear to front and then over a period of time completely stop braking the rear tyre. Trust me it takes some time to getting used to it.
Also my weight helped me keep the bike planted on the ground. If you are lighter, be a little more cautious... once you get used to it you'll be good !! Always keep in mind.. practice makes @raksrules perfect !!

Also... just think why in SBK, peeps are leaning forward?. Centre of Gravity and all :D.. Anyways.. Front broke more from now on.

Also don't pull front abrupt. It should be a gradual motion. Dunno how else to explain :D

Ideally yes.. but you would want to develop a habit of braking using the disc more often. Drum brakes lock up and cause skidding a lot. I hardly use the rear brake and mostly use the front disc's.
Also my suggestion would be to change both the tyres. Both look a bit worn out. I changed the tyres on my Uni after 45k kms and the tyre fellow was like.. Sir why u changing the tyres; they look awesome, I said 45k kms dude.. he went whaaaaaaaa !!!!

45k withtout wearing the tyres. o_O Where do u ride ba?

Coz here in Navi Mumbai, its a mixed track - Superbike staright roads and dirt bike muddy roads. Tyres wear out easily at 25k kms.

Also regarding braking @raksrules - Whenever you are about to brake, hit the front brakes first, shifts the center of gravity and your weight to the front and then apply rear brakes with the front brakes. Results in quicker stops - More Control - And proper wear and tear of tyres.

PS: This technique saved my life when an accident occurred right in front of me while the adjacent bikers who just applied the rear brakes went in a fishtail and eventually added to the accidental mess.

I have done almost 15k kms in a year & my tyres are still like new, way to long to become bald, looks like I can easily reach 50k kms, but looking to replace it to tubeless before the rains.

Last edited:
45k withtout wearing the tyres. o_O Where do u ride ba?

Pune :p Also I slipped on Friday.. at 20kmph :| I did not get even a scratch; but my ZMA's right side fairing is all broken along with the headlight assembly and all.
Trust me, Pune roads are equally or more crappy than Mumbai..

Pune :p Also I slipped on Friday.. at 20kmph :| I did not get even a scratch; but my ZMA's right side fairing is all broken along with the headlight assembly and all.
Trust me, Pune roads are equally or more crappy than Mumbai..
Don't blame poor tyre learn to ride :p

Back