CPU/Mobo When turning on PC, fans, keyboard, mouse all turn on, but getting no display.

Saaz

Recruit
Hello, I tried to turn on this PC after a week I guess, its a old system, having i5-3570K, a consistent H61 motherboard, amd r7 240 and 16 GB ddr3 ram, with wd ssds.

It worked fine last week, but when I powered it on today, there was no display. I tried turning it off and on multiple times, it didn't fix it.
I am getting light in the keyboard and mouse, the caps lock turns on and off. All the fans start, including the gpu and cpu fans.

Also, I tried other things, removing the ssds, removing 1 ram stick, removing the cpu and then placing it again. Nothing seems to fix it.
There is a beeping sound, but I'm not able to identify it. It doesn't match anything I could find on YouTube.
I'm attaching the beep sound, if possible, please identify it, and help me figure out the issue.

-while possible, cpus are unlikely to fail.
-swapping ram didn't work
-both gpu as well as onboard video didn't work so not sure if its the problem
-even if ssd/hd fails you should still see POST so i don't think its the cause

this leaves the monitor/cable, motherboard and psu as possible culprits. i don't recognize the beep sound either.

-while possible, cpus are unlikely to fail.
-swapping ram didn't work
-both gpu as well as onboard video didn't work so not sure if its the problem
-even if ssd/hd fails you should still see POST so i don't think its the cause

this leaves the monitor/cable, motherboard and psu as possible culprits. i don't recognize the beep sound either.
Seems like I will have to take it for repair. I don't have extra monitors or motherboard to check.

Just removing one stick is not complete troubleshooting though. I assume you have 2 sticks - remove both, insert first into A1, then into A2, then remove it and insert second into A1 then A2. At each step. check whether the pc starts working.
I did try removing both one by one, no result, but I will try changing the slot as well.

Search in the mobo manual; what do the beeps stand for. Most common beeps are either memory or gpu and on some mobos even cmos battery. Recent mobos even give beeps for misaligned HSF. insufficient voltage supply etc.

Would suggest the take the entire setup out of the cabinet and on a wooden or paper surface just try the bare mobo with proccy, psu and one memory stick across slots. If possible borrow a gpu to rule out most of the issue.

Dumb question - is the monitor working? Have you tried alternate ports, if available, in both the monitor and motherboard/gpu?

Get a notepad and write down all your testing conditions and output. You might observe a pattern.

Any recent power surge type event?

Have you tried resetting the BIOS?
How old is the mobo?
I can't seem to find cmos pins on this motherboard.
I had tried removing the cmos battery, and turning it on for 10 secs, then reinserting the battery. Didn't work.

And the motherboard is I guess 2-3 years old.

Last edited:
Search in the mobo manual; what do the beeps stand for
The thing is I'm not able to recognise what does the beep mean. It had an AMI bios, I searched on YouTube, to hear the beeps, because just by reading it wasn't so clear. But none of the patterns matched my motherboard.

Dumb question - is the monitor working?
The monitor turns on, I can use the osd. As for other ports, I would have to find the vga cable for it, I don't remember where the kept it. I will look for it.

Any recent power surge type event?

As for this, I don't remember any power surge while I was using the PC. And I keep the PC unplugged, so I don't think it will even matter if any power surge happened while I wasn't using it.

How old is the motherboard? It might need a new CMOS battery.

Turn off power, remove the existing battery and hold the power button for a minute or so. After that wait for 10 mins before inserting the new battery and powering on the PC.

I've seen drained CMOS batteries cause all sorts of weird POST issues.

Back