Mac OS Where are Software Update Packages stored in Leopard

Styx

Skilled
Had few software updates in queue for sometime, so i decided to give them a go today.
As the updates were sizeable, i though why not save the packages(if its possible) for later use, just in case.
Googled up a bit, found that updates are stored in: /Library/Receipts

But all i see in this folder is some package files some of which are not really associated with the actual updated version, and the ones which are, have a very low size.

Any clues?

There must be some folder where they are stored in actual size but probably they are deleted after the software is updated to the required version.

In future, once the updates are downloaded, goto the mentioned directory BEFORE you reboot and copy the files. OSX deletes them after they are installed.

dafreaking said:
In future, once the updates are downloaded, goto the mentioned directory BEFORE you reboot and copy the files. OSX deletes them after they are installed.

I did that exactly, but i never saw anything in /Library/Receipts.

i used zephyroth asu for downloading updates.when you select modify only it will download updates to download folder. i never tried intel installation.may be you can give it a try...

Source :ASU

dafreaking said:
Try /Library/Updates the next time.

I kept a watch on that folder while and after SU but never saw anything except an "index.plist" file.

20090412-gm4eagdpau2qirunm8m3hh6g3e.jpg

demigod said:
i used zephyroth asu for downloading updates.when you select modify only it will download updates to download folder. i never tried intel installation.may be you can give it a try...

Source :ASU

Seems nice, i'll try it out soon.

The downloads used to get saved in /Library/Updates for me too, but somehow, they don't anymore :S

Does "ASU" work on genuine Intel-based Macs ?

@All
When Software Update checks and displays the available updates, goto "Update" option in the Menu Bar and select "Download Only"..
This will download all the updates in the "Downloads" folder so you can easily use them any time... :D

P.S.- Sorry for the BUMP :( Just wanted to share this with you all :hap2:

Back