CPU/Mobo Where can i find Intel D945GCLF2

lol i just realized that i posted this 2 months ago
@jennifer123
that was a nice detailed analysis ......agree with all ur points
but at that time my only concern was size
so i was looking for a microITX one and that board was the best option
and for someone who has been fine with p3... atom wouldn't be too much of a drag ;) as far as performance goes

but i eventually decided to cough up some more money and got my dad an eeepc(which happens to have atom anyway lol)

Jennifer123 said:
1. Intel D945GCLF2 don't have any PCI-E port (You have no choice other than Intel's flagship Media Accelerator)

2. It has an S-Video port, but it wont support Fullscreen overlay on that. (I don't know why the hell this board has a 7-pin S-Video port without extended desktop - may be to use a TV instead of a monitor???)

3. it support maximum 2GB of memory, that also only single channel. (This is not a bad thing at all!)

4. It wont support DDR2 800 Mhz (Yes, i know you have a spare, but no - it wont work with this board). And if you bought a 667Mhz Ram, you are a fool - because the system will force a 667MHz to run at 533MHz.

5. No DVI, still the old VGA port. (So what, we have VGA to DVI converter. - Yes, but do you know the price of that?)

6. The CPU fan is not low profile (My god, you have to search for a low profile heatsink all over Richie street, if you bought a chotu)

7. This board has lot of problems with USB Devices (Yes, I know it was not designed by an Indian after seeing the useless 7-pin (?) S-Video port - And the good joke is, it will not work with any 7-pin S-Video cable - you need to buy a 4-pin male "made in china" for this 7-pin female!!! Also remember a 4-pin male "made in India" will not work.)

Agreed mostly... BUT...

Like I said earlier, the best usage for Atom setup is 24x7 download rig/home/nas server.

so...

1) & 2)

PCI vs. PCI-E slot : Matters only if you're looking at HTPC setup in which case dedicated graphic definitely makes more sense. Home/NAS server, you're probably looking at headless or small monitor setup.

3)

DDR2 single channel + 2GB limit : Again, Unless you're looking for gaming or application performance, 2GB is more than sufficient for daily task. In those same daily tasks, Single Channel vs. Dual Channel hardly makes any difference.

4)

While it's true it doesn't run DDR2-800MHz ram, it DOES support DDR2-667. I think you're talking about older Atom board D945GCLF which had limit of DDR2-533MHz. This thread is about D945GCLF2.

5)

Quite similar to my first point. If you're looking for running 20+ inch monitor on on-board video for main usage as HD video viewing then Atom is not exactly for you. Like you suggested, G31 + cheap C2D makes more sense.

6)

Not exactly wrong... just want to correct you that it's not the CPU fan, CPU heatsink is fanless, that fan is for 945 chipset. :p

7)

what USB problems? care to share the source?

Or are you talking about s-video pin? what exactly are we talking about USB or s-video or ports designed by Indian engineers?

Apart from that, I would still agree with you that people looking for low-end system with decent power are better stick with G31+C2D setup. But unless you're getting used C2D, basic cost of this set (mobo+cpu) still runs you minimum 7k+ (2.3k for mobo + 5k for E7300 approx)... or 5.5k+ (2.3k for mobo + 3.5k for DC E5200 approx).

Off-course the main problem is Atom D945GCLF2 is costing 5500, which is absolutely rip-off. Because at 4k newegg price, this processor + mobo at low-power consumption make one hell of Home/NAS server for 24x7 usage. make it headless and you save power over Monitor+KB+mouse. Add in WD carviar green 1TB drive. You suggested 2.5" drive, but they run out at 500GB and that's not exactly good point for Home/Media/NAS server where you're looking for more storage space.

The basic problem with your comparison/argument is that you're confusing Atom for different usage scenario than it's actually fit for... that's it. :)

it DOES support DDR2-667

Agreed, but the D945GCLF2 will force a 667MHz to run at 533MHz.

just want to correct you that it's not the CPU fan, CPU heatsink is fanless, that fan is for 945 chipset.

Exactly. its my mistake.

what USB problems? care to share the source?

Intel D945GCLF2 Dual-Core Atom - MP3Car.com

Or are you talking about s-video pin? what exactly are we talking about USB or s-video or ports designed by Indian engineers?

Why don't you try a 7-Pin or 4-Pin S-Video cable in the board and let us know the status.

comparison/argument is that you're confusing Atom for different usage scenario

No, The Atom based system consumes around $35 power per year, while G31 with DES consumes $36 power. My question is, why do we need to buy this R & D product to save $1?

Agreed, but the D945GCLF2 will force a 667MHz to run at 533MHz.

Can you guide me to source, please? this is interesting.

Wow... that's one huge-ass thread... it will take some time to go through all the posts looking for one USB problem. :p

Why don't you try a 7-Pin or 4-Pin S-Video cable in the board and let us know the status.

I'm not saying there won't be a problem... I didn't understand what exactly you were getting at, as you started the sentence with USB troubles and suddenly went about S-Video port... so was wondering what was that about.

By the way, to be honest I didn't exactly understand why that port was put there anyway? since Atom is clearly not a viable HTPC solution. Maybe board designers at Intel wanted to joke around. :p

No, The Atom based system consumes around $35 power per year, while G31 with DES consumes $36 power. My question is, why do we need to buy this R & D product to save $1?

hmm... that's interesting... what were the components used in both the systems? Are you referring to TOM's article you posted earlier?

If you have an article that pits Atom and G31 setup against each other using same components (HDD, PSU etc)... can you please share it? I would like to know where those definite numbers are coming from.

Can you guide me to source, please? this is interesting.

Why are you asking me for sources? Do you have a D945GCLF2 Board or not?

If not, why don't you buy a board & 667Mhz Ram and prove here that "I am a stupid posting wrong information in TE".

Or even better why don't you mail to Intel and ask them for this feature(!!!)
If you have an article that pits Atom and G31 setup against each other using same components (HDD, PSU etc).

I don't have to share any source for this, but if you like to prove me stupid, you need to buy a Hardware based DES 'G31' with dynamic VID and 'E7200' with Enhanced speedstep.

24h/day * 365 days = 8760 hours

Atom 330 @ 41W * 8760 hours = 359,160 W/hr = 359.16kWhr

G31+DES+E7200 @ 42W * 8760 hours = 805,920 W/hr = 367.92kWhr

Now let's say we pay $0.10/kWhr

Atom 330 would use $35.91 and G31 DES would use $36.7 in electricity running for a year

Whoa... why are you agitated mate? I'm simply trying to have conversation here, a discussion if you call it. Did I call u stupid?

I asked you about the DDR-667 stuff because I intend to build NAS in next month, and planning to get D945GLF2 board from US (as the one available here is ripoff). Anyway, since I couldn't find any definitive information over the issue that you mentioned, I asked you if you know any known source where you might have read this. Or going by your tone, if you yourself experienced this then were you able to find the cause of it or any work-around for it. It was just a simple question. Chill mate.

As for G31... I'm not against it. I have currently two systems with G31, one of which has E7200 CPU on it. Your math about power consumption sounds quite reasonable, but again I just wanted to know if there is any review as such posted on the net where two identically configured system were tested for power-consumption etc.

If you wanna just take everything as an offense then sorry mate... Let's end this discussion here. After all, we don't come to forums for having discussions, do we?

Or going by your tone, if you yourself experienced this then were you able to find the cause of it or any work-around for it. It was just a simple question. Chill mate.

No friend, I just overreacted. I am fine with you now.

I asked you about the DDR-667 stuff.

Yes, its true, but don't worry, its not a fault - actually its a feature(???). You need to spend some time on google/wiki to learn more about this. But I don't have the source with me now. Let me know if you really need to know about this or a simple way is you can email Intel about this - they usually reply within 1 month(!!!).

I just wanted to know if there is any review as such posted on the net where two identically configured system were tested for power-consumption etc.

No friend, its my personal experience and I am in the project of building 'Green PC's for some IBM hosts.

And regarding D945GLF2, its a wonderful board ever created in Intel's history. Get it now - but don't forget to do a BIOS update first.

Back