Budget 51-70k Where should my friend buy his PC from? should he even get a pc?

BRUT

Disciple
For gaming only.

I got this friend who gets great deals from his dealer since he has decades old work relationship with them. My friend is not the kind of person who particularly enjoys PC trobleshooting and going extreme with learning stuff. I suggested he get a console instead, but his reasoning was "you can't play CSGO-like games on that". So not a very rational thought since there's so much else to play. Very adamant about starting console gaming. But he is insisting that his dealer will always help him out in case things don't work.

Something about the whole situation doesn't sit right with considering convenience for my friend and reliability.

Should he get a pre-built? and custom built? or a console?

i have gone in loops on this eternal question for almost 35 years now :tearsofjoy:
Consoles .. then PC in late 90s then back to consoles in mid 2000s and now dabbling with both again 15 years later.

There are no right or wrong answers. But for a casual/ semi casual/ noncompetitive gamer, a console (esp the current gen ones) should be the weapon of choice.

While one can debate the pros and cons till the cows come home, for this particular category of users, it's usually extremely important to jump into the action right away without having to wait for minutes to load everything up.
And current gen consoles really deliver on that front , PCs don't

"not the kind of person who particularly enjoys PC trobleshooting and going extreme with learning stuff".
Based on this comment alone, the answer is no.

But he is insisting that his dealer will always help him out in case things don't work.
They might up-to a point. No one is going to help with replacements or daily troubleshooting for your "Gaming PC's" problem for free in the long run (unless they have a truly exceptional relationship with the dealer).

What was his past experiences gaming in the first place though? Just basing off the one line he said about CSGO, I feel like he might not be the typical person who enjoys playing single player games. Was he ever one of those young college kids back in the 2000s who used to play cs 1.6 in internet cafes lol.
imo we need to hear more of his wants, what sort of games he wishes to play, how much he's willing to pay (even though you say your friend is not keen to learn, I believe anyone would be willing to learn how to pirate when they hear it's "Free") etc etc

He has only ever been a budget PC gamer. No he avoided the cyber cafe crowd. He wishes to play games he can manage to play (Not something overkill like SIEGE or APEX). He cant handle games with very high learning curves. He probably will play single player games too.

The more I hear, the more it seems that he is leaning more towards console gaming however he wants a pc so I will say its upto him. I am a strong believer in custom builts over pre builts and will suggest going for a mid range pc. But still would say give second thoughts to console. New gen consoles are pretty new and have a long life ahead of them and have good comparable graphics too.

Back