Where should retired folks park their savings?

Well you should consider asset allocation with 70% debt and 30% equity based on risk appetite. For dept you can go for liquid, ultra short debt, arbitrage mutual funds. For equity, go for large cap mutual funds.

Keep your money in yearly FDs, do some part time work. Seeing the way things are going, shit is going to hit the roof with banks. 1 yr fds are far more liquid. Incase banks start going down under, you can quickly cash out. (and I would cash out at the smallest hint.)

I'd do this for the next 2years atleast till a non-bjp, non-corrupt, non-stupid govt, non-lawyer FM comes in and takes things in correct direction. MF etc are subject to significant risk. Do not invest until you read up a lot and check out their returns for last 3-5years.

(and I would cash out at the smallest hint.)

I'd do this for the next 2years atleast till a non-corrupt, non-stupid govt, non-lawyer FM comes in and takes things in correct direction. Do not invest until you read up a lot and check out their returns for last 3-5years.[/QUOTE]
+1 with edited marks.. well said @Party Monger

Depends on the amount of savings. If its not a very big amount like say < 20L, put it all in 1 year FD with auto renewal. If the amount is more than that, put 20Lac in FD, and invest some amount in Mutual Funds. If there is enough surplus, one can also invest some amount in PPF as there is no upper limit on age.[DOUBLEPOST=1523294812][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'd do this for the next 2years atleast till a non-bjp, non-corrupt, non-stupid govt, non-lawyer FM comes in and takes things in correct direction. MF etc are subject to significant risk. Do not invest until you read up a lot and check out their returns for last 3-5years.

non-bjp is redundant in a sentence in which you mentioned non-corrupt and non-stupid. Those terms already rule out bjp.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Its for when you have enough surplus money that you want to leave some for children/grand-children for the long term. Not for people with limited savings.

Back