PC Peripherals Where the Problem is now? in PSU or ...

sangram said:
Thumb rule is that if you can see the spark and/or hear it, please get it checked. It just takes one spark to start a fire.

Electrician in My Area just started laughing at me (I think) as in last 2 years all reputed (one of them Install and do wiring for 35+ PC's in Technical College in my City - he is my friend too) tech. consult with me but all time they come on conclusion that there is no problem with Wiring. They also check using voltage meter.

sangram said:
Sparking also creates havoc in low-quality computer PSUs that don't have an input EMI filter (99% don't) and/or improper primary and secondary filtering and reservoir capacitors. The system cannot cope with the high level of interference, and will either have its regulation wrecked for an instant, or simply shut down.

Yes with Twice visible spark and sound and PC restart with Warning "Thermal Heat".

sangram said:
The spark does not need to be generated on the computer switch, it can be generated anywhere.

Yes I notice is with my TV switch too, but it didn't create problem for TV operating.

sangram said:
The idea is to ensure that the PSU gets as clean a supply as possible, which can be achieved in a number of ways, some of which the other posters on this thread have pointed you to - CVT, UPS, etc. Alternatively or additionally, to replace the PSU with a higher quality unit that offers a little more safety for the internal circuits.

I'm thinking for PowerSafe 400W, just waiting to get more specs about Gold and Silver Model.

sangram said:
You have indicated earlier that the sparking only happens if the fan is switched while the PC is on. Is that correct?

Correct at that time, now other switches in this Board also sparks but lesser than FAN Switch.

sangram said:
If so, that 'separate board' must go. It is probably wired incorrectly (either a neutral/earth reverse or unearthed) and in an unsafe condition. Would definitely advise you run the PC off a line that can actually take the load. Change your electrician if you have to, because this is a life and death matter. Treat electricity with respect.

I check connections using Spike Guard and it show OK status (All Correct) with Both Sockets.

sangram said:
On the issue of Gold Vs. Silver power supplies. I have opened both and yes, the gold one does have more Molexes, a 24-pin native connector, a second 80 mm fan.

More Molexes? Sorry didn't get it! [/quote]

sangram said:
But the silver one is definitely better built, heavier, and has good quality components. This is probably the first time I am seeing a supply of this quality at that price (I paid a little more for it though, got it for 1300). Both have active PFC and input filtering. The only problem with the silver one is that if you have a 24-pin mobo

Yes, D845GBV is 20 pin mobo (99% sure)

sangram said:
I hope you now have enough suggestions and information to make a decision. All the best, and let us know how it turns out.

Yes, you TE friends too Helping Nature and try to reach at root cause. As I myself suspect PSU so I will go with PowerSafe Silver (do you suggest me same? is it better than Gold? am i right?). Can I have more info Link/url. One I find is VIP SMPS series :: Kunhar Peripherals Pvt Ltd

^ Since you have a 20-pin mobo, the Powersafe Silver would be good.

However *if* you intend to upgrade shortly (considering most newer motherboards are 24-pin), then the Powersafe 24-pin Gold PSU would be a better choice :)

The PSU though is still the tip of the iceberg. It would only help ease up the random reboots which look to be caused by EMI but wouldn't help the switches sparking.

If you can probably take a pic, or draw a rough sketch of how your current electrical setup is - maybe more of us will have a better idea.

[OT]@Sangram: Is the OEM for the Powersafe Silver the same L&C?[/OT]

Crazy_Eddy said:
[OT]@Sangram: Is the OEM for the Powersafe Silver the same L&C?[/OT]

Yup, that's what I'm told.

Actually I preferred the silver. It's just a shame they put in a 'proper' 24-pin connector, and they sticker it as a dual 12V PSU, when in fact it's probably a single rail supply (which I actually prefer, but don't like mislabelling).

I've not subjectied it to the usual dissection, the rig has been packed away for storage and I just checked whether the damn thing boots. Once the 6800GT service is comlpleted the rig is pressed into service again. Will be able to give a more detailed report then, after the surgery is completed.

Crazy_Eddy said:
The PSU though is still the tip of the iceberg. It would only help ease up the random reboots which look to be caused by EMI but wouldn't help the switches sparking.

If you can probably take a pic, or draw a rough sketch of how your current electrical setup is - maybe more of us will have a better idea.[/OT]

Sorry, but didn't get what exactly you mean by current electrical setup?

Do you mean Placement of Switches, Sockets and FAN Regulator on Board?

Back