Where to get a 3G Portable WiFi router ?

^^ Oops Missed the shipping part :ashamed:.

the thing is my friend asked me about the device since he has his relatives in Saudi arabia.

Well, my old Nokia N78 which my sis was using went bad. They number keys aren't working. Gave it to the service center. They tried changing the keypad, but no luck. It's a problem with the board it seems; it will cost major $$ to replace which I felt was not worth spending on an old phone. Sis anyways was looking to buy a new phone, so bought her one.

So, the point is...now my N78 has become my cheap 3G portable WiFi router :) with a BSNL 3G SIM card and Joikuspot premium.

Only this is..the battery heats up a little under constant use, but for a phone that's practically dead already, I couldn't care less :D

maddy_in65 said:
I am using Edimax 3G 6210n from long time. It almost works with all kind of 3G modem. It has rechargeable battery and it is better than huawei E5. I bought it for rs 4500 from ebay
The Edimax takes 3g usb modems. The Huawei takes sim cards ! Big difference in portability !

guptaji said:
found this:

EK Wireless, 3G Router, Data Security, India

Available for 5000/- with an extra battery; includes one year warranty and delivery charges..

looks alright considering you have to shell out 6k for the locked tata docomo router

P.S. they also have the Netcomm Myzone (MyZone - 3G24W: NetComm) for 9990/-
Does that take sim cards ? You can't pocket a router and a usb modem plugged in while on the move !

^it doesn't accept a SIM card! The netcomm one does but that's twice the price.

portability is sacrificed, but then if you are on the move you can always keep it in your laptop bag or something similar. given the dearth of options available in India, I guess one will have to sacrifice somewhere..

guptaji said:
^it doesn't accept a SIM card! The netcomm one does but that's twice the price.

portability is sacrificed, but then if you are on the move you can always keep it in your laptop bag or something similar. given the dearth of options available in India, I guess one will have to sacrifice somewhere..
Correct :)

But I can easily carry the Huawei E5 in my pocket, so no need of a bag !

And I won't be using it with my Laptop frequently. It's for use with the iPhone and iPad2, whlie on the move.

So portability is a main concern for me !

^any idea what the actual battery life on the E5 is?

and any other known issues so far?

I didn't check the ebay link earlier; seems good for the price..

Guys,

I am using Trendnet 3G Router with built in battery, it's very small & good. I can use aprx. 2 - 2.5 hrs. on battery, since I am using laptop & at home wife or kids are using iPad, so we all can use it. Obviously it doesn't have SIM card slot but you can use USB data card & insert into this router. I have checked other places on net & found that better not to buy the router with SIM slot, as some SIM are not compatible with those routers.This Trendnet works very well with Reliance & Photon.

Sorry for bumping an old thread!

I am looking for something in the lines of a MiFi router. Would that be a good idea or buying a 3G router plus a separate 3G USB modem be better?

Can someone please point me to a VFM and noob-friendly solution please? The requirement is streaming internet over WiFi for browsing through the iPad 2 and maybe a couple of phones (but mostly the iPad). At present, I am forced to slow down the torrent speeds on the netbook and then browse using the tablet - a chore.

Thanks in advance!

Is this the cheapest AIO solution - MICROMAX MMX400R MI-FI WIRLESS 3G ROUTER POCKET MMX 400R WITH 1 YEAR WARRANTY | eBay

NO solutions for you until you review Ra.One. :no:

Dont bother, was just kidding!

If you want better battery life sitck to the MiFi one. If you need to switch between 3G and EVDO, get one with USB.

I would advice to go for the MiFi one only. Although have zilch idea on the models though!

Gannu said:
Sorry for bumping an old thread!

I am looking for something in the lines of a MiFi router. Would that be a good idea or buying a 3G router plus a separate 3G USB modem be better?

Can someone please point me to a VFM and noob-friendly solution please? The requirement is streaming internet over WiFi for browsing through the iPad 2 and maybe a couple of phones (but mostly the iPad). At present, I am forced to slow down the torrent speeds on the netbook and then browse using the tablet - a chore.

Thanks in advance!

Is this the cheapest AIO solution - MICROMAX MMX400R MI-FI WIRLESS 3G ROUTER POCKET MMX 400R WITH 1 YEAR WARRANTY | eBay

That's your best bet. Or the Huawei E5, similarly priced.

Back