where to learn developing a website from ?

Hi guys

i need your help in this one !

i know of lot of people who belong to different business fields and looking for making a website for themselves.

as they know me to be a compu-freak from past 9 yrs, they mostly end up assuming that i am good in making websites too.

but it does`nt live long, i give them some info about various site making institutes nearby our city and they contact them .

enough is enough ....

now i have decided that i should learn this art myself. when ppl who approach me, pay 15-20k for just a basic site, which is really nothing compared to professional websites that i am always seeing on the other side of the world.

hence plz advice me on which options to choose :

1: Join NIIT or anyother good institute u tell for a web development course

2: i have lynda.com and 'total video' adobe cs4, photoshop, dreamweaver tutorials.

3: you tell the best way !

kindly help..
in this killin time of recession & MBA course fees gettin more and more higher (close to 9lacs with loan), i might start my own venture out of it !

MODS can move to the rite section if they find this here inappropriate !

*First Start With Basics, HTML and CSS:p

*then proceed to Server Side Scripting in any of following areas PHP,ASP or JSP

* Now you get used to Client Side Scripting with Javascript and AJAX

* Also learn some basic designing work like logos,buttons,headers etc.

Gaurish said:
*First Start With Basics, HTML and CSS:p

*then proceed to Server Side Scripting in any of following areas PHP,ASP or JSP

* Now you get used to Client Side Scripting with Javascript and AJAX

* Also learn some basic designing work like logos,buttons,headers etc.

While this is all useful to build a web site, not all of it is necessary, and if one is to build the site alone then it is also important to know about layout design .

I just took on a relatively basic web site design job for 6K US Dollars... there is no Ajax, no Javascript, no ASP, JSP and the only PHP are prefab scripts to help with the forms I am using.
I would say the majority of the work is designing the layout using css and making templates is a good idea so that large sitewide changes are easier. Another important thing to understand is how to compress the images you use so that the pages are not taking too long to load.
Using a program like Dreamweaver is great because you can look at the code that it automatically inserts for you when you change something using the gui. I learnt a lot this way ... and of course google is your friend .. there is soooo much stuff out there if you get stuck.
Best to dive in right away, you will pick a lot up as you go.
I am not of course saying that learning any of the aforementioned scripting and coding is not useful, but it is not absolutely necessary to know everything to build a nice site. :D

linuxtechie said:
One word: Google.

~LT

we all know about google dont we ?

avoid making such posts plz.... i did look into google before askin here..

but my question was to wether to join a institute or learn by myself, for which google dint have any answer.. !

Well a professional course is always preferred not because they will teach you something extraordinary but simply because :

1)You have paid for it and want your money worth.

2)There is a prescribed period and scheduled time you have to spend there unlike when learning on your own where you have to take out time.So you are more likely to follow it.

3)It is an add-on to your portfolio.

The cons however are:

1)You have to shell out some bucks in, as you say, these times of recession.

2)Sometimes some instructors can turn out to be really bad, and that is irrespective of the institute.

So make a call.

With a bit of common sense and a basic understanding of HTML/Flash, you can make websites using templates and customize them according to your needs.

You could choose professional templates from templatemonster or use the basic templates on some sitebuilder apps that almost all website hosting providers have.

any more info guys ?

is there something like a perfect all-in-one learn to develop a website set avaible somewhere ?

i dont mind payin for it, if its worth it ! :)

Dinesh_Malhotra said:
we all know about google dont we ?

avoid making such posts plz.... i did look into google before askin here..

but my question was to wether to join a institute or learn by myself, for which google dint have any answer.. !

You would find the answer for same again on Google. Its a different thing that you couldnt find the answer.

~LT

These days very few people build a website right from scratch.

You can use ready to use packages like - Drupal, Joomla .

They can let you develop website very easily without having you to delve into tedious work like creating frames etc.

When you need more control then you can go for adv anced settings of these packages. I think you can use your own CSS coding also, not sure though.

linuxtechie said:
You would find the answer for same again on Google. Its a different thing that you couldnt find the answer.

~LT

You can also be gracious and provide him with links instead of harping about his inability to do so. :no:

linuxtechie said:

~LT

lol, i really dint expected another dumb answer from u.

keep it up... ppl like u are an asst on TE :)

You can start by developing basic sites on your PC. A website is a combination of

1. Server side scripting (php/asp/ruby)

2. Client side scripting (javascript)

3. Design/layout (photoshop/css)

4. Database (if you need to store lots of info)

To bind all the elements together, you will need html. Instead of using ready made tools or templates, start out by coding the entire page on a simple text editor. That is the proper way to learn, and you will get to experiment too.

I'd recommend starting out with html/php/javascript/css as its easy for beginners. Check out the corresponding tutorials on w3schools and you should be ready to go!

hey,

Please do not join a class for web development or building websites, they will teach you crap!!!

I had been to one, thinking they will teach me something good, but they thaught me what I already knew.

( ^^ well my experience lol others may have something different)

In order to learn web development, its always better to start on your own, check out online sites, check source codes of various websites...

the easiest way to make a website without knowing coding is

1) Create a design in photoshop

2) Slice design so that design does not get broken when adding content

2) import in dreamweaver

and they you get a website in hardly anytime without writing a single code...

hope this helps!!!

deaddevil said:
hey,
Please do not join a class for web development or building websites, they will teach you crap!!!
I had been to one, thinking they will teach me something good, but they thaught me what I already knew.
( ^^ well my experience lol others may have something different)
In order to learn web development, its always better to start on your own, check out online sites, check source codes of various websites...
the easiest way to make a website without knowing coding is
1) Create a design in photoshop
2) Slice design so that design does not get broken when adding content
2) import in dreamweaver

and they you get a website in hardly anytime without writing a single code...
hope this helps!!!

kya baat karing ?

just make the design in photoshop and import the design to dreamweaver ?

then should i learn photoshop first ?:huh:

Back