Storage Solutions Which 1 TB External HDD for storage purpose?

Hi Guys,

I want to buy a portable 1 TB USB 3.0 external hard disk for storage purpose(movies and TV shows) only. Budget as close to 5K as possible(5-6K).
How is this one? - Western Digital 1 TB MY PASSPORT USB 3.0 Hard Drive (WDBBEP0010BBK) or should I choose some other one?

Edit: May need a 2TB HDD too(budget as less as possible with good reliability). So please suggest a 2TB portable external HDD too along with 1TB.
How is this - Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex External Hard Drive 3.5 2TB USB 3.0 or should I choose some other one?

Or is it always advisable to buy 2*1TB instead of a single 2TB HDD(though it will stretch my budget alot)?

Please suggest(and post a link of flipkart/other reliable online shopping website if possible). :)

Thanks.

@XTechManiac the hard-drives you have shortlisted are fine, although I urge that you reconsider getting the smaller capacity hard-drive from the Seagate stable.

I simply find the Western Digital pieces too unreliable, just my thought as I have seen too many die on my colleagues, peers. It does not mean Seagate is in the green completely either, in both cases rigorous read-write cycles take a toll and often cause the untimely death of these 'portables'.

Why cannot you take a 1TB interior drive, like say a Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB [64MB cache] OR Western Digital Blue Edition 2TB internal and the 1TB you can get an external drive. It will be easier on your pocket.
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD Internal Hard Drive (ST2000DL003) | Internal Hard Drive | Flipkart.com / WD Elements SE 1 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive (Black) | External Hard Drive | Flipkart.com / WD My Passport USB 3.0 1 TB External Hard Disk | External Hard Drive | Flipkart.com.

Cross-verify pricing from these sites --
Internal Storage in India | Buy Internal Storage Online at cheap Price
Hard Drives / SSD
Buy Hard Disk Online | India - Hardwire.in

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

Last edited by a moderator:
but beware that 1TB HDD's are less prone to failure than 2TB HDD's.

Precisely why I suggested OP to go for a 2TB internal; thanks to fewer 3.5" platters in those hard-drives, consequentially fewer access heads = lesser chances of failure but in the end it is OP's need pitted against our suggestions and his budget, I smell compromise.

The funny word "Budget" is the cause of everything.:p
Precisely why I suggested OP to go for a 2TB internal; thanks to fewer 3.5" platters in those hard-drives, consequentially fewer access heads = lesser chances of failure but in the end it is OP's need pitted against our suggestions and his budget, I smell compromise.

One thing is that the external ones have 3 year warranty and the internal ones have only 1 year warranty nowadays :(

correct me if I m wrong

One thing is that the external ones have 3 year warranty and the internal ones have only 1 year warranty nowadays :(

correct me if I m wrong

At present, seagate is offering 1yr warranty & WD offers 2yr on all internal drives.
And always keep a backup of that HDD which is on continous run. I have 4 1TB external HDD (2 WD & 2 Seagate) which i use to backup my 500GB internal HDD used for only downloading purpose. The 2 seagate HDD's are external powered.

Crap. Don't need a 2TB portable external one..just a 1TB one will suffice.

Going with Western Digital 1 TB MY PASSPORT USB 3.0 Hard Drive (WDBBEP0010BBK) one then. Thanks for replying anyway.
Also, I've never shopped from infibeam before. Will be using COD option. Is infibeam reliable?

At present, seagate is offering 1yr warranty & WD offers 2yr on all internal drives.
What about the warranty of "external drives" from Seagate and WD? 3years for WD, right? And what about Seagate?

correct me if I m wrong

Yes, @vishal_k has pointed it out very correctly that the Seagate hard-drives have an extremely curtailed warranty period of 1 year whilst competing Wester Digital Green / Blue Edition hard-drives carry ~2 years of warranty, while the premium line of Black Edition drives still comes with a ~5 year warranty cover.

Source --> WD Support / Warranty Services / End User / Worldwide Warranty Policy and Limitations

All external drives have had their cover slashed from 5 years -->3 years; please note these hard-drives are generally cheaper to use Seagate LP's and Western Digital Green Edition drives. Concurrently these have a higher probability of failure.

Just my thoughts on topic, I am using a Western Digital Green drive as a dump for my movies and TV series. Of which I have a partial back-up on a Transcend device which has a Samsung Spin-Point series [5400RPM] drive and is showing signs of impending collapse.

What about the warranty of "external drives" from Seagate and WD? 3years for WD, right? And what about Seagate?

Never used infibeam, Sire. Sorry.

Both companies provide external drives with 3 years limited Warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
All external drives have had their cover slashed from 5 years -->3 years; please note these hard-drives are generally cheaper to use Seagate LP's and Western Digital Green Edition drives. Concurrently these have a higher probability of failure.
Please explain alpha, i didnt get which are cheaper, the external ones or the internal and which have a higher failure rate?

Please explain alpha, i didnt get which are cheaper, the external ones or the internal and which have a higher failure rate?

The internal hard-drives are cheaper (by ~1000/- --2500/- depending on the capacity). Also because they have the advantage of space and power they can cram more space into fewer physical-platters, this in conjunction means fewer access heads which by simple mathematical probability can be shown to be less prone to fail (due to fewer access heads and platters), while the 2.5" drives used in external portables is still a generation behind this curve 2.5" platter vs. larger 3.5" platter in an internal drive and they have to face the daily rigors of life; bumpy bags, potholed roads etc etc = lesser lifespan.

The external hard-drives are the low-power edition drives, for Seagate these are the Barracuda LP edition [5900RPM, 32MB cache] and for Western Digital these will be the Green edition [5400RPM, 64MB cache]; these are cheaper than the regular drives (Blue edition and Barracuda 7200RPM series) and just like their brethren on the desktop more finicky and prone to failure.

Hope this explains more, confuses less. Cheerio!

Got the drive! Thanks everyone. :)

Quick question: Should I buy any travel carry protector hard disk bag? Max budget: Rs.300
How's this one? - WD 2.5" Slim Soft Bag for all External Hard Drive Blue / Black / Red | eBay Or Seagate/Western Digital Hard Disk Cases, Hard Disk Covers, Pouch Slim | eBay or should I buy some other one(please give link if possible)?

I got one free with my Transcend hard-drive, never used it. It generally stays inside my drawer, neatly ironed.

If you are worried about cosmetic scratches on your hard-drive I suggest that you keep the plastic film stuck on it. Nothing can protect your hard-drives from falls.

Back