Car & Bike which 150 cc bike to buy

Dark Prince

Disciple
Hey guys

a friend wants to buy a 150 cc bike
his main concerns are mileage(around 50 or more),power and smoothness of the bike
he has a habit of turning the throttle at the sight of open road but not always
so he prefers to rev the bike at times
average riding speed would be 60-70 and higher if he gets a chance
so can he expect decent mileage at that speed from these 2 bikes that he has short-listed

the honda dazzler and the honda unicorn

i heard a lot about the new dazzler

is it really that good

or do you suggest a different bike all together keeping power,speed,mileage and smoothness into mind(no hard feelings but no pulsars please)

Go ahead.....

Both are same.....You can't go wrong any of them

Dazzler (- minus) Chain cover,Kick Start leaver

Unicorn (- minus) Digital Console,Rear Disc Break,Naked Looked

All ur requirements are there.

Check out Suzuki GS150R, damn good bike. You can heck out the owner feedback on xBhp.com, it's one of the best 150cc bikes apart from R15.

Go in for the dazzler,i own the unicorn since 2005 and it's been running fine with the same smoothness and same feel.
I was using my friends Pulsar but it used to give me backache's on highway riding.
The engine in the dazzler is the same of the unicorn which is more tuned plus u'll be getting new looks and awesome instrument panel.
Why to go in for old if the new one is there which is better.

Dazzler ftw...

Really smooth upto 85kph, really good brakes and good build quality. Only -ve I can think of atm is the lack of an Engine Kill Switch and slightly sluggish pick-up.

blkrb0t said:
Check out Suzuki GS150R, damn good bike. You can heck out the owner feedback on xBhp.com, it's one of the best 150cc bikes apart from R15.
he has tried a friends GS 150

the thing is that according to that friend the unicorn is better in long run

says that suzuki tends to become a little noisy after some time but that is not the case with a unicorn

also despite of being 150 kgs the suzuki feels a lot heavier

Dark Prince said:
he has tried a friends GS 150

the thing is that according to that friend the unicorn is better in long run

says that suzuki tends to become a little noisy after some time but that is not the case with a unicorn

also despite of being 150 kgs the suzuki feels a lot heavier
Not true, your friend's friend is actually BS-ing. Read the bike ownership thread on xbhp.com, you'll come to know. Unicorn is a good bike, one of the best commuters, but GS150R is a class of its own.

Get a test ride of all the bikes you are interested in and then go for the one which you FEEL is the best.

hunterjack said:
what about apache rtr 160. it gives good mileage and he can also 'turn the throttle' without any problems
ya that is one of the options
but then how is it compared to the dazzler as it is said to have the super refined and smooth honda engine in terms of performance and fuel efficiency
i heard that it has vibration issues
also how is it in terms of maintenance compared to the dazzler

GS150R - a bit clumsy around heavy traffic...other than that no problems at all, its a damn good bike. You might also get a neat discount on it.

Dazzler - Reliability of Honda, with the same best in class smooth gearbox as the unicorn. Nimble around traffic. One of my friends has an issue with vibration at certain speeds, maybe a one off issue. But its a bit pricey imho ( you dont really need the rear disk brakes )

Apache - best raw performance of all the three, but with low build quality. You will have ot maintain it properly, otherwise it will be rickety - rackety in short time. I wouldnt recommend it if you are looking for a long term ride.

Between Dazzler and Unicorn, my choice will be Unicorn. Dazzler is Unicorn tuned for performance. With performance, you always have to compromise on durability

kris_one said:
GS150R - a bit clumsy around heavy traffic...other than that no problems at all, its a damn good bike. You might also get a neat discount on it.

Dazzler - Reliability of Honda, with the same best in class smooth gearbox as the unicorn. Nimble around traffic. One of my friends has an issue with vibration at certain speeds, maybe a one off issue. But its a bit pricey imho ( you dont really need the rear disk brakes )

Apache - best raw performance of all the three, but with low build quality. You will have ot maintain it properly, otherwise it will be rickety - rackety in short time. I wouldnt recommend it if you are looking for a long term ride.
Thanks for the neat reply dude

i don't have much knowledge about the apache so cant say much

but AFAIK the rear disk of dazzler is not much of a problem

it actually is a very big advantage

donno why but i personally prefer the unicorn over the GS 150

i have test driven both(both belonged to my friends)

but then the unicorn which has been used in a really nasty way for the last two years

and the GS has been used in a comparatively decent way

but then i found the unicorn to be way smoother than the GS

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

guys the confusion now lies between dazzler and apache RTR 160 (hyper edge)
we've read and heard many good things about its performance
but then does it really score over the dazzler in terms of overall aspects

also like kris_one said if it going to be a problem then one would have second thoughts about RTR 160

Honda Unicorn : bigger HH splendor, nothing else. very reliable, good resale

Honda Dazzler : performance tuned unicorn, better performance than unicorn but vibes at 6000+ rpm, tubeless tyres and rear disk. -ve is cost doesn't justify the 74K+ onroad, Pulsar 180 is better at lower price.

TVS apache 160 RTR : best in class performance, decent average if ridden properly, superb handling, not as reliable as Honda or HH bikes but not so bad. biggest negative is too many vibes. buy for absolute performance only.

Suzuki Gs150r : well balanced bike, economy, power, raw modes. -ve is weight and heaight ( bit higher than others)

HH Hunk : again a good bike, better alternative to Unicorn, same engine as unicorn

Bajaj P150 : better bikes from japs are in market, avoid unless die hard Bajaj fan. update is due in 2Q 2011.

Yamaha SZ-r/x : low on power, features, avoid unless on tight budget

Bajaj Discover 150 : higher power tham Yamaha Sz but low refinement, excellent power to weight ratio. buy it for excellent average + ves are 53 K on road for alloys, disk brake, self start, DC headlight. total VFM package.

geek ashish said:
Honda Unicorn : bigger HH splendor, nothing else. very reliable, good resale

Honda Dazzler : performance tuned unicorn, better performance than unicorn but vibes at 6000+ rpm, tubeless tyres and rear disk. -ve is cost doesn't justify the 74K+ onroad, Pulsar 180 is better at lower price.

TVS apache 160 RTR : best in class performance, decent average if ridden properly, superb handling, not as reliable as Honda or HH bikes but not so bad. biggest negative is too many vibes. buy for absolute performance only.

Suzuki Gs150r : well balanced bike, economy, power, raw modes. -ve is weight and heaight ( bit higher than others)

HH Hunk : again a good bike, better alternative to Unicorn, same engine as unicorn

Bajaj P150 : better bikes from japs are in market, avoid unless die hard Bajaj fan. update is due in 2Q 2011.

Yamaha SZ-r/x : low on power, features, avoid unless on tight budget

Bajaj Discover 150 : higher power tham Yamaha Sz but low refinement, excellent power to weight ratio. buy it for excellent average + ves are 53 K on road for alloys, disk brake, self start, DC headlight. total VFM package.
hey is pulsar 180 better in all aspects(like mileage,performance,maintenance)???cos from what i have heard that pulsars are bad in the long run and maintenance becomes a pain

it is said that they start causing some issues or the other in 1-2 years also the ride quality deteriorates

also that is the most worked upon bike by mechanics due to its inferior quality

thats what i have heard and read on different websites

I have used both, p180 and dazzler, and I'm an avid biker. I do a lot of touring
and organize group rides as a hobby too ( purely non-commercial).
I do most of my servicing of my bikes at home.
I own HH Karizma, Pulsar 150 DTsi, Discover 150 and owned-sold a few in past.

Pulsar 180 DTSi

+ves
Better than Dazzler
Looks
Power
Performance
Stability
cornering
tyres
Shocks
Wheelbase
Spares Availability
Riding position
Big bike feel
Cheap spares
Bigger Battery ( 9A vs 5A in Dazzler)
Instruments ans switches
Bigger front disk ( as same as Pulsar 220)
Better exhaust note
Flexible indicators ( they don't brake in public parking or in case of a fall)
Headlight spread
Self canceling indicators
Spilt seat
Full DC electricals ( headlight on battery than alternator)

-Ves
Worse than Dazzler
Resale value ( but you pay a lot more for dazzler than its actual worth)
FE ( more power, 30cc more, wider tyres)
Periodic maintenance ( you need to do the things when they are due, don't delay)
Less engine refinement ( not as smooth as Japs, a price you pay for +ves listed above)
Rear drum brake
no clock

If I was in your place, I would go for P180.

Your concerns
Mileage ( Average KMPL)
Honda 150 cc will definitely have more. say 5-10 KMpl
People have reported 45Kmpl for P180 when ridden at normal speeds.
As experts say, Average of a vehicle depends more on the driving style.

Performance
P180 is known for its performance.
Ride it sanely for good average and wen you need the power , just twist the throttle a bit more.
You can cruise at 100-105 KMph in P180 while its 90Kmph for 150cc Honda ( if you care for the engine life)

Maintenance
Bit frequent than Dazzler. There are going to be small niggles developed in long run, but nothing will
cost you a fortune. cause the spares are way cheaper than the Honda.
RESALE
Of course, P180's engine is not as refined as Honda or Yamaha but again they are charging you
a fortune for that. What's the point of buying a bike for 6k/- more than the other bikes and selling
it for 2k/- more than the other.

Also in today's time, if you are into long rides, 150cc's power feels insufficient ( except RTR160)

Back