Monitors Which 27 inch Monitor?

snakenobi

Disciple
I am looking to buy a 27inch monitor

I like how clear,bright the apple thunderbolt display is but it doesn't work with anything other than thunderbolt Mac's

I also like the design of LG LED montiors.

These things are very important:

Design

IPS

LED

Glossy(I can do matte but not most of the time but still suggest)

Contrast

^^ You will get a lot of cheap 27" 1080p TN Panels, but if you are particular about IPS, then you don't have any choices currently except U2711 (As far as India is concerned).

As for cost, IPS based Displays are few in variety and much more costlier to manufacture than your typical fare. So companies tend throw in a few other features (like extra ports, customization options) that are not usually found in other displays and then positions them as premium products.

the dell 2711 is the best alternative to the cinema display.

its certainly one of the best displays i have seen.if you are in mumbai then imo prime abgb have it.you can always drop by and enquire about the price.

the dell 2711 is the best alternative to the cinema display.

^^ Better alternative to Cinema Displays. Apple's CD series IPS displays usually use the same panels as the (IPS based) Dell Ultrasharps, but the Dell ones are usually more feature rich and better performing. For instance on a Dell, you get a rich plethora of OSD options, numerous input choices etc, on an Apple CD, usually you cannot even change something basic like brightness or contrast from the display directly.

^^ yep totally agree with you that the u2711 is more feature rich thats for sure.But i find the cinema display having slightly better colours and overall a bit more richness, but ofcourse i have read people having the exact opposite thoughts as well.

^^ yep totally agree with you that the u2711 is more feature rich thats for sure.But i find the cinema display having slightly better colours and overall a bit more richness, but ofcourse i have read people having the exact opposite thoughts as well.

Didn't they use the exact same panel?

yep they it is the same panel for the imac 27 inch as well.the only thing i have heard is that the cd has crystal display[dont know 100%].

@ op you should have no qualms in going for the u2711.just check the price in a couple of store before going for it.

mainly smc and prime abgb.

The only other 27 inch monitor in that price range I can think of that meets your requirements is the HP ZR2740W. Not sure if it is available in India though.

As far as U2711 vs ACD goes, it might just boil down to your preference between Matte and Glossy screens.

(If you have an older GPU with no Display Port, ACD will have an additional cost of ~$100-$150 as it has no HDMI/DVI inputs)

The only other 27 inch monitor in that price range I can think of that meets your requirements is the HP ZR2740W. Not sure if it is available in India though.

As far as U2711 vs ACD goes, it might just boil down to your preference between Matte and Glossy screens.

(If you have an older GPU with no Display Port, ACD will have an additional cost of ~$100-$150 as it has no HDMI/DVI inputs)

hp zr2740w costs 65k here. i had called hp last week for it.

why dont you get the dell u3011?

Even if they use the same panel, It doesn't mean that they will have to perform in the exact same manner. There are several other factors like rest of the hardware used in the display, any post processing/image enhancement tech used, quality of back lighting, calibration, firmware etc. AFAIK, Apple CD 27" uses LED back-lighting, so there can be obvious differences inherent with CCFL vs LED.

Historically Dell's IPS displays have always been more feature rich and usually performed better than the Apple CD's with the same panels. Apple CD 27" may be different, but then again having "better colors" is not exactly an indication of better performance. IPS panels are preferred by professionals for their accurate color reproduction and one side-effect of this is that colors may often look dull/natural/less vivid on IPS Panels than the typical TN Panels which use post processing to artificially enhance the colors. So if "better colors" mean "more accurate colors" then it is fine, but if the colors look too vivid and vibrant than they ought to be, then its a sign of a display not suitable for the purpose it was intended for.

Historically Dell's IPS displays have always been more feature rich and usually performed better than the Apple CD's with the same panels. Apple CD 27" may be different, but then again having "better colors" is not exactly an indication of better performance. IPS panels are preferred by professionals for their accurate color reproduction and one side-effect of this is that colors may often look dull/natural/less vivid on IPS Panels than the typical TN Panels which use post processing to artificially enhance the colors. So if "better colors" mean "more accurate colors" then it is fine, but if the colors look too vivid and vibrant than they ought to be, then its a sign of a display not suitable for the purpose it was intended for.

Spot on, the Apple displays have saturation post-processing which makes the colours less accurate but more vibrant or "rich" as someone mentioned earlier. Of course, glossy helps with the illusion of vibrancy too. Technically, Dell U2711 is the better display, but then again what "looks good" is subjective. Some prefer enhanced colours, while others prefer accuracy. Take your pick.

Back