Storage Solutions Which 2TB internal HDD to go for?

hgps

Disciple
I need a 2TB internal HDD for use as my primary HDD [OS, games etc], I already own a 1TB green which i will use as storage disk for movies, DVD backups and other stuffs. budget is 6k . [6.5k max]
Will buy the HDD via online shops only. as 2TB HDDs are not available in my area. So suggested HDD must be available at sources like ebay, flipkart etc.

i have found only seagate drives in 2TB 7200rpm.

1.Seagate Barracuda (ST2000DM001)

http://www.flipkart.com/seagate-bar...SUKN&ref=2c82d83d-97df-4e06-b726-7be80b93660a

2. Seagate SV35 (ST2000VX000)

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/seagate-st2000vx000-internal-hard-drive/186178?pos=1;5

i googled and found this for comparision between barracuda ST2000DM001 and SV35 ST2000VX000
http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.p...ndup-12-hdds-with-2-tb-capacity.html?start=14

I have never owned any Seagate drive in the past. and i don't trust seagate considering many people say their A.S.S sucks and drives are prone to failure etc. Should i go ahead and buy a seagate drive? Which one is better among those two? any other options with 2TB capacity in 6k budget?

also please clear my doubt about RMA proceduce : I don't think there is any Seagate or WD service center in my city. How am i supposed to submit my HDD in case i have to return it for warranty claim?

Between the two - Seagate ST2000DM001. For a WD 2TB drive - your only option is WD Green, which would be slow and not recommended as a primary drive. WD Black will be out of your budget. If buying online, be careful about packaging since a lot of drives aren't packed properly and end up damaged in transit.

Which city? For WD you could just mail in the drives. Seagate has a similar mail-in/pickup service for areas outside their service centre reach :
Seagate Customers/Dealers from remote cities (more than 60 Km from service centre) can now enjoy free pick up and drop/to-pay service facility.
More at : http://myservice.accelwms.in/

Between the two - Seagate ST2000DM001. For a WD 2TB drive - your only option is WD Green, which would be slow and not recommended as a primary drive. WD Black will be out of your budget. If buying online, be careful about packaging since a lot of drives aren't packed properly and end up damaged in transit.

Which city? For WD you could just mail in the drives. Seagate has a similar mail-in/pickup service for areas outside their service centre reach :

More at : http://myservice.accelwms.in/
thanks for your answer, how can i know packaging without ordering the HDD :confused: Guessing from customer reviews, it seems like FK delivers them with only a single thin layer of bubblewrap and carboard box. and many people reported DOA and faulty barracuda ST2000DM001 and not a single report of DOA or faulty Seagate SV35 (ST2000VX000) on snapdeal.
also ST2000VX000 is designed for 24X7 use in video Surveillance. Does this means its more reliable than barracuda?

i'm from gorakhpur [UP]

Yeah I mean check feedback threads. I can't see the ST2000DM001 on snapdeal, but all the complaints on FK are DOA drives i.e. bad packing/damage during transit. Newegg feedback is better for drives, since they have a much larger sample. The ST2000DM001 has a decent 4/5 rating. The VX000 looks new and doesn't have enough feedback yet. Anyway since shipping and handling is more important for drive reliability, you're probably better off buying from Snapdeal, i.e. getting the VX000. BTW cross-check that you have the VX000 when its delivered; FK mention a VX002 which is a similar but slower 5900rpm drive.

On paper the VX000 looks better since the MTBF is rated at an annual power-on time of 8760 hours (24 x 7) vs 2400 hours for the DM001. However oddly the price for the VX000 is cheaper - usually better quality comes at a higher price, so I assume practically there won't be much of a difference in reliability.

I was not recommending surveillance drives since I was a bit misinformed about the ATA-7 streaming command set. The streaming command set has a mode where it will read/write sectors without retries, i.e. data errors will be skipped. However regular desktop use does not use this streaming command set so you should be ok.

Last edited:
Yeah I mean check feedback threads. I can't see the ST2000DM001 on snapdeal, but all the complaints on FK are DOA drives i.e. bad packing/damage during transit. Newegg feedback is better for drives, since they have a much larger sample. The ST2000DM001 has a decent 4/5 rating. The VX000 looks new and doesn't have enough feedback yet. Anyway since shipping and handling is more important for drive reliability, you're probably better off buying from Snapdeal, i.e. getting the VX000. BTW cross-check that you have the VX000 when its delivered; FK mention a VX002 which is a similar but slower 5900rpm drive.

On paper the VX000 looks better since the MTBF is rated at an annual power-on time of 8760 hours (24 x 7) vs 2400 hours for the DM001. However oddly the price for the VX000 is cheaper - usually better quality comes at a higher price, so I assume practically there won't be much of a difference in reliability.

I was not recommending surveillance drives since I was a bit misinformed about the ATA-7 streaming command set. The streaming command set has a mode where it will read/write sectors without retries, i.e. data errors will be skipped. However regular desktop use does not use this streaming command set so you should be ok.

I went to local shops and found Seagate barracuda ST2000DM001 selling @5.8k. Shopkeeper said it comes with 1 year warranty. is that true? flipkart shows it has 2 years warranty

another question is, What is the Warranty period on ST2000VX000 ?? Snap deal was showing 3 years a few days ago, but now its changed to 1 year.

check the wd20eurs drive. its a great drive. have 2 of them. come with 3 year warranty.
I have a WD10EURS and it sucks :( too slow.

@hgps, Kindly clarify why are you putting a 2TB drive as your primary?[DOUBLEPOST=1375441344][/DOUBLEPOST]Please look into this before you buy
because, i am using WD green 1TB as my primary drive since i sold my older WD blue 250GB last year :( and WD green is too slow.

i don't want SSD or separate low capacity disk for OS as budget is really tight and i am low on space in my current 1TB green

just a word of caution though on the drive you plan to buy from Seagate, check my post above.. Its a hit or a miss.
Seagate/WD/Toshiba all offer 2 years Warranty on the current generation of drives.

As for a better option is to get a 500GB drive as a primary drive and put it as a OS & App drive. I dont think applications these day would occupy your entire 500GB.
Get another 2TB drive for storage and sell off your WD Green.
The problem for going for a 2TB as primary drive is the time taken to read from various locations on your drive, so suggesting the 500GB

They're all 2 year warranty AFAIK.

The 3 platter 666GB variant seems ok. Its anyway going to be faster than a 500GB drive with a 500GB platter. Plus if you make a small 500GB partition on your 2TB (at the start of your drive), then all your data stays on the outer edges of the platters so its going to be consistently faster. Its a myth that 'bigger drives' take longer to access data. You have heads for each platter, your seek times should stay the same.

just a word of caution though on the drive you plan to buy from Seagate, check my post above.. Its a hit or a miss.
Seagate/WD/Toshiba all offer 2 years Warranty on the current generation of drives.

As for a better option is to get a 500GB drive as a primary drive and put it as a OS & App drive. I dont think applications these day would occupy your entire 500GB.
Get another 2TB drive for storage and sell off your WD Green.
The problem for going for a 2TB as primary drive is the time taken to read from various locations on your drive, so suggesting the 500GB

I'll try to get 2X 1TB platter one. [deeper notch].. I can't buy another HDD as of now. [pocket money is tight :( ] i might invest in a SSD next year :(

The 3 platter 666GB variant seems ok. Its anyway going to be faster than a 500GB drive with a 500GB platter. Plus if you make a small 500GB partition on your 2TB (at the start of your drive), then all your data stays on the outer edges of the platters so its going to be consistently faster. Its a myth that 'bigger drives' take longer to access data. You have heads for each platter, your seek times should stay the same.

thanks i'll go for ST2000DM001.

i'm n00b about HDDs so please clear these doubts:

1. Even if the shopkeeper says 1 year warranty on HDD? will i get complete 2 year warranty?

2. What is 7200.14 . 7200 is RPM right? but what is .14 ? how to identify a 7200.14 HDD?

3. while creating partitions after buying the HDD i plan to create a 50-100GB partition for windows and 400-500GB for game installations. rest of the space will be used as storage space for movies, tv shows etc. Should i perform a quick format or complete format? how much time is required for complete format.

1. Yeah you should since warranty is dictated by Seagate. Cross-check the warranty on Seagate's site : http://support.seagate.com/customer/en-GB/warranty_validation.jsp?form=0

2. 14 is Seagate's internal numbering system for drive generations. Older generation models were 7200.12, 7200.11, etc. ST2000DM001 is a 7200.14 drive - your drive will say ST2000DM001 on the drive label.

3. A quick format is usually ok, since a complete format will take hours. But a complete format will also stress test and check for any bad sectors on the drive before you put data on it. Which OS are you using?

3. A quick format is usually ok, since a complete format will take hours. But a complete format will also stress test and check for any bad sectors on the drive before you put data on it. Which OS are you using?

Thanks a lot for your help :D i'm using windows 7 ultimate 64bit

@hgps, Kindly clarify why are you putting a 2TB drive as your primary?[DOUBLEPOST=1375441344][/DOUBLEPOST]Please look into this before you buy

bought it today. :) i think its the 2 X 1TB variant

2013-08-03_15-05-55_HDR_zpsb58eaf84.jpg

Back