Which 7 kg front loader?

I'd recommend a Bosch/Siemens as well. Been using a 5.5 kg Bosch unit at home for close to an year now and I am completely satisfied with this machine. Absolutely no qualms. Built like a tank, excellent wash quality - no pre-scrubbing required for even the dirtiest shirt collars.

The Bosch and Siemens units are essentially rebranded machines. Both are exactly the same sans the branding.

I was waiting for you gannu sheth.:)
what detergent you use.
what is your machine's duty cycle.?
twice a week?

my idea behind bigger size machine is,

1) planning for future family expansion
2) this is like 8-10 yrs investment so better prepared[DOUBLEPOST=1371495012][/DOUBLEPOST]i would like to know about the power failure during wash cycle.
@Gannu
would you elaborate?

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surf ExcelMatic, yeah more or less like twice a week or rarely once a week. IINM the machine resumes itself after the power is restored. We had to face this only once when the power went off but then the detergent washing cycle was done already and the clothes came out pretty well. It might be a good idea to check online.

@Chiranjib Ok will try to add pictures of the Sharp Washing Machine.

A couple of things regarding the machine

1. It only has one inlet - you can either have cold / hot or you need to have a Hot + Cold water mixer tap before the inlet if you want hot + cold water.

But we have been using only cold water and it cleans much better than the previous machines we had.

2. It has wash + rinse + dry + multiple levels of aero dry. The aero dry dries the clothes to a great extent so its helpful during monsoons

3. I am not sure how much water a front loading machine would save, but the Sharp uses less water than any previous machines we had. They also claim to have some certifications for one of the least water usages in Top Loading. Also there are 8 water levels and it automatically adjusts according to the number of clothes you put in so that also helps.

4. It does not have any holes in the drum nor does it have a central agitator stick. Due to this the life of clothes has increased and we have seen that now clothes tangling etc is almost negligible.

5. It has fiber body. The main advantage of this is that you do not need to worry about rust etc.

Given all this I am not sure why people still claim that top loaders clean much better and use less water. Actually with advancement in technology all these minor issues are a thing of the past.

Also I think if I am not wrong the front loaders are much more difficult to clean and maintain compared to a top loading one. Front loading machines are preferred only in areas where there is lot of space constraint and you need to install it in a small area. We have had the Sharp for one year now and 2 loads 4 times a week so thats 8 loads and it also accommodates full size bed sheets etc so its been giving us good service without any issues.

Hence, all said, I still prefer a Top Loading machine than a Front Loading. I guess its a matter of choice.

@pratikb - I had purchased it for around 27k and model no is ESN90HS. It was delivered by special order as they did not have any in entire state! It came direct as they said I was the only one who ordered it :) The other models are fast selling models and they have stock ready for delivery. After order I got mine after a week or so. So you need to see its availability because it depends from state to state depending on which model sells fast.

I have the LG front load and I'm not really sure about the water/power consumption but the output of the wash is phenomenal.

@Chiranjib

3. I am not sure how much water a front loading machine would save, but the Sharp uses less water than any previous machines we had. They also claim to have some certifications for one of the least water usages in Top Loading. Also there are 8 water levels and it automatically adjusts according to the number of clothes you put in so that also helps.

Given all this I am not sure why people still claim that top loaders clean much better and use less water. Actually with advancement in technology all these minor issues are a thing of the past.

Also I think if I am not wrong the front loaders are much more difficult to clean and maintain compared to a top loading one. Front loading machines are preferred only in areas where there is lot of space constraint and you need to install it in a small area. Hence, all said, I still prefer a Top Loading machine than a Front Loading. I guess its a matter of choice.

Front loaders save a hell lot of water. We had a Voltas 6.5Kg and it used to consume 200Ltrs per wash load. Then I switched to a Samsung 6.5Kg Front loader it consumes only 50Ltrs approx. I say this cause the voltas used to "drink" 50% of thewater from the sintex, while with samsung only 1/4 is taken after a full wash cycle of cottons. Its not just a claim, Europe switched to front loaders to save water and electricity as they have to wash clothes in warm/hot water, due to the cold temperatures there. A front load washer soaks clothes in water, that is similar to hand wash. A top loader will need water to "soak" the clothes wet plus also for making the clothes "float" in water.

@The_Falcon > I agree that front loaders consume less water and I have mentioned that, but with change in technology the difference has reduced. My 9 kg machine uses 90 litres and has 8 water levels. So at 6.5 kg my machine uses only around 60 litres of water. Hence, the difference in water consumption if any is highly negligible. Power efficient, I doubt - but one user pointed that you have to keep the heater off then it consumes similar of 500 watts power same as the top loader I have. If you use the heater it consumes over 1500 watts.

Now coming to the overall discussion, yes this is one of the most famous discussion TL V/s FL. Each one has their reviews and opinions and both work without issue.

But here are my advantages of a top loader
1. It consumes less power and also uses less time to complete a full cycle.
2. You can stop / lift the lid anytime during the cycle and add / remove clothes from the machine if you need. Like the water filling just started and you remember one cloth is still outside, you could lift the lid and throw it in - this cannot be done in a front loader.
3. Overall low maintenance compared to the front loader. You do not need extra door sealer for water tight lid, different kind of detergent etc. I have also heard they need regular cleaning too (not sure what that is but the sales person was mentioning that)
4. Usually, is cheaper than the front loader by a huge margin. When we had checked the machine the price difference was between 20-30% less than the front loader. Hence, any benefit of power saved or water saved (if any) is negligible.
5. Some front loaders will compulsorily use the heater mode - so you need to check that because some require a specific temperature to run.

Front loaders are usually preferred if you have
1. the machine in the kitchen or a small area say below a platform etc so it occupies less space.
2. you want the clothes close to dry as I have heard the front loaders dry clothes to a great extent.
3. if you have lots of time. When I checked, the average time of a full cycle was close to double that of a normal Top Loader.
4. If you have limited load each time.

@@prtk >sorry it may seem like an argument, but I am compelled to answer. I cannot digest(without proof) that Top loader will consume water equivalent or close to a front loader, had it been so, Europe would not switched to Front Loaders.

I agree that front loaders consume less water and I have mentioned that, but with change in technology the difference has reduced. My 9 kg machine uses 90 liters and has 8 water levels. So at 6.5 kg my machine uses only around 60 liters of water. Hence, the difference in water consumption if any is highly negligible.
>>>What change in technology? The basics of washing cloches still remains the same. The shape of a top loader requisites that it take in a good amount of water to completely immerse the clothes in water, without which it will not clean the the clothes. Front loaders soak the clothes in a more concentrated water solution than top loaders.

Power efficient, I doubt - but one user pointed that you have to keep the heater off then it consumes similar of 500 watts power same as the top loader I have. If you use the heater it consumes over 1500 watts.
>>>Power efficient yes, because it uses a lot less water, so less amount of electricity is required to heat a small amount of water. Yes, it may still consume a little more than a top loader, but you buy a washer for cleaning clothes not just for power efficiency. Moreover front loaders consume more power not due to the heating requirement, but due to the the high speed spin cycle. Top loaders cannot match the spin speed of a front loader. Mine does a max. of 1200 rev/min. There are other costlier ones which do 1400/min as well.

Now coming to the overall discussion, yes this is one of the most famous discussion TL V/s FL. Each one has their reviews and opinions and both work without issue.

But here are my advantages of a top loader
1. It consumes less power and also uses less time to complete a full cycle.
>>> Less time to complete full cycle? Clothes will be cleaned better if they are immersed in detergent solution for a longer period - a simple principle of chemical reactions(plus also the heated water helps to do it better). I never trusted the the top loader to clean clothes in 15mins wash cycle.

2. You can stop / lift the lid anytime during the cycle and add / remove clothes from the machine if you need. Like the water filling just started and you remember one cloth is still outside, you could lift the lid and throw it in - this cannot be done in a front loader.
>>>All new front loaders come with a facility where you can open the door within the first 15mins of starting the washing.

3. Overall low maintenance compared to the front loader. You do not need extra door sealer for water tight lid, different kind of detergent etc. I have also heard they need regular cleaning too (not sure what that is but the sales person was mentioning that)
>>>Front loaders will easily serve you their full term (9-10years) without any service requirement if you use them properly, not overloading etc.
>>>They suggest low suds detergent so that the clothes should "hit" down with some force in order to increase the cleaning action. suds would "cushion" the impact, which is not recommended. But I guess it is all a marketing gimmick, I use a normal detergent and it has not had impact on my cleaning.

4. Usually, is cheaper than the front loader by a huge margin. When we had checked the machine the price difference was between 20-30% less than the front loader. Hence, any benefit of power saved or water saved (if any) is negligible.
>>>True, but its cheaper because the motor is smaller. Moreover the fron loaders always have a stainless steel drum, which increases the cost and the life of the machine.
5. Some front loaders will compulsorily use the heater mode - so you need to check that because some require a specific temperature to run.
>>>Yes, mine also needs the heater on depending upon the cycle chosen. And trust me its always better to wash clothes in warm or hot water than normal room temp. or cold water. Ever since we switched to the front loader, my mom has always ensured she turns the water to at least 40 Deg or 60 Deg (for cottons) so that clothes come out more cleaned. And when your mom says it cleans better in hot mode, it sure must be.

Front loaders are usually preferred if you have
1. the machine in the kitchen or a small area say below a platform etc so it occupies less space.
>>>Not really. Front loaders were born in Europe where there are no "wet areas" like we have in bathrooms here. The bathrooms there used to have carpets as well (although this trend has almost dies out). Even today you cannot wash clothes in a European bathroom as we do here in India. They have tiles now, but under the tiles it still wood. So they (FL)) were designed to be compact and space efficient to be placed under the kitchen shelf. An average European home is smaller than an average American home.

2. you want the clothes close to dry as I have heard the front loaders dry clothes to a great extent.
>>> True, as it saves on drying costs if you were to use a dryer later, but in India we really don't; except for monsoons/winters.

3. if you have lots of time. When I checked, the average time of a full cycle was close to double that of a normal Top Loader.
>>> Again, I would like the clothes to be soaked in detergent solution for a longer time, i really doubt soaking them in detergent for a short would clean them really nice. It may be, but will require quite a large amount of detergent.
4. If you have limited load each time.
>>> Well, you get bigger front Loaders as well comparable to any big top loader nowadays!

@The_Falcon - Let me answer to some of your queries point by point.

sorry it may seem like an argument, but I am compelled to answer. I cannot digest(without proof) that Top loader will consume water equivalent or close to a front loader, had it been so, Europe would not switched to Front Loaders.
>> no any healthy discussion is great and at times you come to know of facts that you might not have known earlier. Like I mentioned each washing machine whether FL or TL have their own advantages and disadvantages, but to fully support only one saying that's the best and the other will never work is also not good. Well for argument purposes I can also say that if FL were so great the entire world would have used it, but that's not the case. Europe my gut feeling is because of its climate. Also the European FL are a class apart, I guess their base range starts where our ends, so you cannot compare the two even in-case of FLs.

What change in technology? The basics of washing cloches still remains the same. The shape of a top loader requisites that it take in a good amount of water to completely immerse the clothes in water, without which it will not clean the the clothes. Front loaders soak the clothes in a more concentrated water solution than top loaders.
>> Well with my previous TL I would completely agree with you. That was a 6kg machine consuming more water than the current 9kg sharp! Yes that's a fact. The new Sharp machine uses a lot less water. When we add clothes it suggests the water level. The full load complete cycle uses appx 90 litres. Now you cannot compare a 6 kg FL with a 9kg TL and say that it consumes more water. Appx. per kg based on 90 litres it would use around 10 litres so on a 6kg load it would use around 60-70 litres. Now a FL would use appx 50-55 litres of water. Hence, when I said the gap between the two has narrowed, it was in that sense. Earlier the TL used to consume say around 100-120 litres or even 200 litres like you have mentioned which is a thing of the past. The difference between any good quality FL and the Sharp is around 10-15%.

Power efficient yes, because it uses a lot less water, so less amount of electricity is required to heat a small amount of water. Yes, it may still consume a little more than a top loader, but you buy a washer for cleaning clothes not just for power efficiency. Moreover front loaders consume more power not due to the heating requirement, but due to the the high speed spin cycle. Top loaders cannot match the spin speed of a front loader. Mine does a max. of 1200 rev/min. There are other costlier ones which do 1400/min as well.
>> When we talk of power efficiency its usually per cycle cost of power and my remark was in that sense. My machine does not heat water nor uses hot water at all yet cleans the clothes! So per hour it uses around 500 watts while entire cycle full load takes around 40-45 minutes. Hence, I do save a lot of power. Plus I do not need hot water to wash clothes and due to this I find my clothes color lasts longer and does not fade as fast. Secondly, I am not 100% sure but was told the sharp spin rev is appx 700-900 (this is not confirmed) but I find that if I use the aero dry mode, it does make clothes dry to a great extent.

Less time to complete full cycle? Clothes will be cleaned better if they are immersed in detergent solution for a longer period - a simple principle of chemical reactions(plus also the heated water helps to do it better). I never trusted the the top loader to clean clothes in 15mins wash cycle.
>>This varies from person to person. The machine does have a soak function we use when we put in bed sheets, curtains and such items. The soak function does exactly what you want, keeps clothes immersed for a longer time. And it cleans it well.

All new front loaders come with a facility where you can open the door within the first 15mins of starting the washing.
>> Ok that is good to know, was not aware of that. When I evaluated, no one mentioned that to me

Front loaders will easily serve you their full term (9-10years) without any service requirement if you use them properly, not overloading etc.
>> My previous Top Loader lasted 10 years without any issue and we gave it to another person who is still using it so years have passed yet it needed only a minor repair once which cost around 500Rs. Hence, both FL and TL are reliable without doubt.

They suggest low suds detergent so that the clothes should "hit" down with some force in order to increase the cleaning action. suds would "cushion" the impact, which is not recommended. But I guess it is all a marketing gimmick, I use a normal detergent and it has not had impact on my cleaning.
>> Yes, most machines also do mention that if you do not use the suggestions the warranty is void. Hence, though you can use any detergent, is your warranty valid if they find out? Not sure on this count, but you may as well check.

True, but its cheaper because the motor is smaller. Moreover the fron loaders always have a stainless steel drum, which increases the cost and the life of the machine.
>> Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Even the sharp has a stainless steel drum and also has a rust proof body

Yes, mine also needs the heater on depending upon the cycle chosen. And trust me its always better to wash clothes in warm or hot water than normal room temp. or cold water. Ever since we switched to the front loader, my mom has always ensured she turns the water to at least 40 Deg or 60 Deg (for cottons) so that clothes come out more cleaned. And when your mom says it cleans better in hot mode, it sure must be.
>> Heater in any form will consume a lot of power. Hence, to say that a FL is power efficient would be wrong in that sense, because if you need water heater to heat clothes, it cannot be considered power efficient. My guess is when the heater is on it uses around 1500-2000w of power.

True, as it saves on drying costs if you were to use a dryer later, but in India we really don't; except for monsoons/winters.
>> Yes, drier is one area the FL wins. If you need dry clothes you need to buy a FL. Hence, this will depend on case to case basis. Or you rightly mentioned, you might need to have a separate drier for drying clothes.

Again, I would like the clothes to be soaked in detergent solution for a longer time, i really doubt soaking them in detergent for a short would clean them really nice. It may be, but will require quite a large amount of detergent.
>> For a full load of 9 kgs we need less than 1 measuring spoon that comes with the detergent. I guess a similar amount is also needed for FL.

Well, you get bigger front Loaders as well comparable to any big top loader nowadays!
>> Yes that comes at a cost and the cost is close to double that of a Top Loading.

But its good, we now have a reference area so we can discuss more regarding Pros and Cons of each the top loader and the front loader.

Dont listen to them :D

Go to market and buy Godrej Eon Front loader, its a nice machine, using since 2 yr and it works flawlessly :D

and it got a dry-wash function also, which can be used to clean your shoes with just air wash :p

Back