Which BB connection good in Chennai?

hey guys i'm staying in metha nagar, i wanted to get spectranet or tikona or Reliance since they were the only ones without FUP.
i called up the reliance guys they told me it wasn't feasible !!
i tried calling the Tikona guys for the 2mbps UL plan they told me you have to pay 2 months advance rental (i had a feeling that i might not get speeds so i kept em on hold).
i tried calling the spectranet guys, they never got back to me !
After a month and half of waiting i again called up the reliance people and this time they told me it's feasible, i took up their 2mbps(Rs.699) thunder plan. The first month costed around 1.7k including the installation and service charges + first month rent.
Got a tplink-740n router sharing the internet with 5 people :p !! getting constant 200+kbps on utorrent, i get "no internet access" occasionally, i download loads (downloaded about 250+ gigs the first month alone!) but well hey i pay 699 a month and i get 2mbps UL !!

I think no provider gives the promised speed. Even for a 10mbps connection the maximum speed achievable should be atleast 7mbps to 8mbps that is atleast 70% of the promised speed. The customers are always taken for a ride from these telecom companies. When in USA I used to get constant speed for a 20mbps line and not once did the speed go down beyond 19.5 mbps. Here we are completely at the mercy of these telecom companies with a big attitude that the customers are their servants and can be pushed around no matter what comes.

If a provider says your getting 2Mbps line, your not going to be entitled to get 2Mbps; there is something called the contention ration which each ISP has in place.
So now if Airtel gives you a 2Mbps line, you will get roughly 250KBps. (contention ratio is 1:8, so 2048/8=256KBps). If it was Tikona it even goes down further, for them its 1:20 / 1:50. Each provider has its own contention ratio, including state owned BSNL.

What most of us miss is the fine print. Telecom Authority has made it mandatory for all ISP to display the Broadband Traiffs in TRAI format, but hardly do we even bother to open and read them. And if you did so, you will have found what is the culprit.

If a provider says your getting 2Mbps line, your not going to be entitled to get 2Mbps; there is something called the contention ration which each ISP has in place.
So now if Airtel gives you a 2Mbps line, you will get roughly 250KBps. (contention ratio is 1:8, so 2048/8=256KBps). If it was Tikona it even goes down further, for them its 1:20 / 1:50. Each provider has its own contention ratio, including state owned BSNL.

What most of us miss is the fine print. Telecom Authority has made it mandatory for all ISP to display the Broadband Traiffs in TRAI format, but hardly do we even bother to open and read them. And if you did so, you will have found what is the culprit.
Whatever the Contention Ratio, TRAI says the user at his premises should get atleast 80% of the said speed. i.e 1.6mbps for a 2mbps connection.
http://www.trai.gov.in/Content/faq_subcat_details.aspx?id=68&qid=1&link=0

Precisely that is my point. Even if the contention ratio is 1:8 it would be good, but it never is even if it is Airtel. This is where they take the customers for a ride. As far as Tata DoCoMo is concerned they lied to me about the 10mbps connection and I even asked them if I would get ateast 70% to 80% of the 10mbps connection.

Precisely that is my point. Even if the contention ratio is 1:8 it would be good, but it never is even if it is Airtel. This is where they take the customers for a ride. As far as Tata DoCoMo is concerned they lied to me about the 10mbps connection and I even asked them if I would get ateast 70% to 80% of the 10mbps connection.
Contention Ratio reason doesn't hold ground when TRAI says your are entitled to 80% of subscribed speed. I suggest your file a complaint with TRAI or contact Docomo's Nodal officer along with the TRAI's page saying the same.
This same Contention Ratio reason was given to me by Reliance BB guys sometime back. I used showed them this rule from TRAI & got a refund from them.

Update.....
I emailed them stating that if I do not get the required speed I would like to get the connection disconnected. I got a call from them and they said that the problem has been rectified and I would get the speed as promised. Here is the speed test below for the 10mbps line.

2943724945.png

Update.....
I emailed them stating that if I do not get the required speed I would like to get the connection disconnected. I got a call from them and they said that the problem has been rectified and I would get the speed as promised. Here is the speed test below for the 10mbps line.

2943724945.png

what are you paying,for this connection....

UPDATE.....
Cancelled Tata DoCoMo Broadband. Experienced worst backend service from them. Just in a month's time there was 10 days of disruption of service. Once their service is down it takes almost 3 to 4 days for them to rectify and that too after constant follow-up. Whenever there is a power cut in the area, the connection gets disconnected. I think they have started the service without any backend support. Now I am back with BSNL.

In the end one always realises MTNL and BSNL rock :p

I had problems with MTNL in mumbai too, and was looking for another operator, i mailed the Ed and GM of broadband along with nearest telephone exchange head.

Connection running smooth Luke butter since then.

The exchange head himself called and asked whether net is working :p

I don't have any option as the private players are very inconsistent in providing their service as they do not have proper infrastructure. I would ditch BSNL anytime if I get a good option and a reliable service provider. For a 4mbps line I don't even get a download speed of 200 kbps. Thought of moving to Airtel but heard horror stories regarding their billing and service and the recent experience with Tata DoCoMo made me stay away from them.

I have a Bsnl connection for 7 years now. It works well. Only causes problems when there are heavy rains. I just lodge a complaint on the website they fix it the very next day.

Back