Storage Solutions Which brand HDD to go for?

All right, I am on a tight budget for an internal as well as an external HDD.

I will be buying things at Siliguri, WB. I am situated remotely, Siliguri will be my best bet. So I need to buy a more reliable brand/series cause it will be hard for me to avail services.

I want an internal drive within 2.5k and an external one for about the same price.

What are my options? As in capacity and price? I hear certain series of Seagate Internal show problems? What should I avoid? What about external?

Any help at all. Would be grateful. :)

for 2.5k you can get 500GB internal HDD..

either Seagate or WD..

IMO Buy WD as it's more reliable.

as of now Seagate Reduced the warranty from 5 Years to 3 Years but WD Still comes with 5 Years Warranty which is awesome..

but as you are located in a remote area try searching the Service Centers for both of the Companies first & then decide to buy.

coz if WD SC is far from your place then Seagate is your best bet..

but still i'll Suggest you to go for Western Digital..

bikalpapaudel said:
^ Which series? Why?

not series specific with transcend just their replacement takes a hell of a lot time.
As for seagate many are complaining about high failures,Accel frontline not accepting some coz they say they are not legally imported etc. the list is endless.

My personal choice is Western Digital. Reliable hardware, backed by great prices and a good after-sales network. I find the blue series to be excellent value for money, and the green series to be very quiet. (Havent used the black series so far)

You probably will find the widest after-sales support from Samsung in India. They have an extensive sales network covering a large number of smaller cities. Their drives are great too. I have had two samsung drives so far. No problems with what so ever with either. [Have been using the 80GB one for 2010 - 2004 = 6 years] so far.

WD it's got to be!

1. Door to door pickup and drop for the RMA policy.

2. Refer above!

3. Reliability and performance at a decent price comparable to Seagate drives.

Seagate has announced a new RMA policy wherein the user needs to do a one-time registration at the Accel Frontline website, fill up the RMA form and approach the service centre in person and submit the drive which apparently has to be given in an anti-static bag! Those are too much of hassles if you ask me.

2.5k should get you a 250GB WD Scorpio Blue IINM. An external one should retail for almost 400 bucks more.

personally

indian seagate sucks had a horrible exprience

always makes that irritating noise

anyways

GO BLIND and ASk the vendor for WD

hands down boy great reliability

c ya

So I think WD is a safe bet for the Internal HDD. What about external?

Gannu said:
2.5k should get you a 250GB WD Scorpio Blue IINM. An external one should retail for almost 400 bucks more.
Isn't that almost half the capacity I would normally get for 2.5k? Someone here said Internal 3.5" 500GB HDDs were available for that much. If yes then the WD hard drive is not competitively priced at all!

And external for 400 bucks more? I do not understand? How is it possible for same capacity external (which is probably 2.5") to be just 400 bucks more?

^Errrm why do you think the SATA controller in the external drive is expensive? :S

2.5" internal drives are expensive compared to the desktop counterparts. That's quite an old news if you did not know that yet!

Gannu said:
^Errrm why do you think the SATA controller in the external drive is expensive?
You mean an External Case for an Internal HDD?
I do not know if I want to go that route.

Gannu said:
2.5" internal drives are expensive compared to the desktop counterparts. That's quite an old news if you did not know that yet!
Of course. Which is why I wondered how one would get a "decent" external drive (which I fathomed to be 2.5" ones) for just* 400 bucks more than same capacity internal.

Now I know that you were referring to 3.5" Internal Drives made external via a casing.
I was thinking about 2.5" portable externals.

BTW I still find the 2.5k price you gave for WD 250 GB as expensive when you get Seagate 500 for around the same.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so I want the external drive for backups.
How judicious would it be if I bought a 3.5" SATA external casing and use it with a regular 3.5" drive?

I want things to be cost effective. How much will an inexpensive external casing cost? What are the risks?
I hear the transfer rates are very slow ~10-15 MB per second with the aftermarket inexpensive casings?

bikalpapaudel said:
So I think WD is a safe bet for the Internal HDD. What about external?

Isn't that almost half the capacity I would normally get for 2.5k? Someone here said Internal 3.5" 500GB HDDs were available for that much. If yes then the WD hard drive is not competitively priced at all!

And external for 400 bucks more? I do not understand? How is it possible for same capacity external (which is probably 2.5") to be just 400 bucks more?

external HDD's comes in two types -

1) External Desktop HDD i.e. 3.5" which comes in a Huge Casing

2) External Laptop HDD i.e. 2.5" also known as Portable Drives

so,the price he told you is probably for the External Desktop HDD i.e. 3.5" & not for 2.5"..

hope it's clear to you now & yeah for the External HDD go for WD in that too.. :hap2:

was just navigating on forums and i came across this >>>>>>>>>>

My data recovery company says that Seagates have the lowest frequency of repair/data loss of all the hard drive manufacturers (I just went through $700 in data recovery fees on my Western Digital 120gb year old drive with major head crashing problems

any comments ??

Back