Which cell(Touch Screen) to get? Budget 6-7k

pranut

Adept
Hi guys My budget is 6-7k, i need a touch phone.
It should be attractive, and with all basic features,

i m looking forward to getting Nokia 5233, how is it ?
Also Are Samsung Star and LG Cookie good ?

Also I want to know that if I have a prepaid Airtel connection can I use GPS on it, for free or I need to activate it for a charge ?

I have to buy tomorrow evening so suggest fast.

THANKS!!

Its good. The nokia 5233 sells for ~ 6.7k now but you have to get urself a microSD card and USB cable as the package lacks that.

The Corby S3653 ~ 6.5-6.7k has a 2.8" capacitive touch screen which is better than the 3.2" resistive touch screen of the nokia 5233 but its not a smartphone. It also comes with 2GB microSD, USB cable and a good pair of ear plugs with 3.5mm jack converter as the phone doesnt have it.

The Corby has better touch response and cheaper by Rs.500-700 if u factor in the accessories that comes with the phones. So if you need better touch experience i guess its the Corby but if u need a touch screen+smart phone then the nokia 5233.

If you can increase your budget slightly then the Nokia 5230~7.6k is also a good option as it is basically the 5233+3G+GPS.

Thanks for the reply, but i wanted to know what are the benefits of having a smartphone ? Also does 5233 support CA-101 data cable, as I already have it. ? I dont require 3G. Any idea whether 5233 supports creative ep-630 earphones or apple i-pod earphones ?

Also Is GPS service free for Airtel pre-paid connection ?

Also which of the two has more third party software available 5233 or Corby ?

The advantage of Symbian is you can find many apps for it online. Regarding other queires wait for the 5230 owners to reply. else you can also post in the 5233/5230 thread in the mobiles section.

DarkAngel said:
Its good. The nokia 5233 sells for ~ 6.7k now but you have to get urself a microSD card and USB cable as the package lacks that.

The Corby S3653 ~ 6.5-6.7k has a 2.8" capacitive touch screen which is better than the 3.2" resistive touch screen of the nokia 5233 but its not a smartphone. It also comes with 2GB microSD, USB cable and a good pair of ear plugs with 3.5mm jack converter as the phone doesnt have it.

The Corby has better touch response and cheaper by Rs.500-700 if u factor in the accessories that comes with the phones. So if you need better touch experience i guess its the Corby but if u need a touch screen+smart phone then the nokia 5233.

If you can increase your budget slightly then the Nokia 5230~7.6k is also a good option as it is basically the 5233+3G+GPS.

It does come with a Cable : CA- 101D. not that its a great phone but its definetely ur best option in that price range. JUst bought it today. :)

I have symbian phone (5800XM) and my friend has samsung star wifi but trust me, the difference in UI is vast. the touchwiz UI on star simply sucked! so, it's better to get 5230 or 5233 that runs symbian S60v5 than to get phone with those java based OSes.

RadioHeAd said:
It does come with a Cable : CA- 101D. not that its a great phone but its definetely ur best option in that price range. JUst bought it today. :)

Oops.Sorry. Thought they dont come with the data cable.:ashamed: The GSM arena review said 5230 doesn't come with a data cable and so i assumed 5233 which is a cheaperr cousin will also come without one. My Bad :(

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_5230-review-427p2.php

desiibond said:
I have symbian phone (5800XM) and my friend has samsung star wifi but trust me, the difference in UI is vast. the touchwiz UI on star simply sucked! so, it's better to get 5230 or 5233 that runs symbian S60v5 than to get phone with those java based OSes.

Yup there is a big difference. The Corby/Star is feature phone and its to be expected. But guess the BADA OS and Android will turn it around for Samsung phones.

But isn't the Corby's touch response better than the Nokia's 5233/5230/5800?

ok but since the GPS feature is free, I would rather go for Nokia 5230, at the nokia site its given that it does not come with a data cable. Then how come u got a cable ?

Please explain to me the GPS feature of the phone.....

@RadioHeAd

for how much u got ? how is it ?

DarkAngel said:
Oops.Sorry. Thought they dont come with the data cable.:ashamed: The GSM arena review said 5230 doesn't come with a data cable and so i assumed 5233 which is a cheaperr cousin will also come without one. My Bad :(
Nokia 5230 review: Foot soldiers get smarter - GSMArena.com

Yup there is a big difference. The Corby/Star is feature phone and its to be expected. But guess the BADA OS and Android will turn it around for Samsung phones.

But isn't the Corby's touch response better than the Nokia's 5233/5230/5800?

How good is touch response if the UI is below average? Don't fall for the TV ads. And the feature set of 5230 is better than that of corby.

Bada OS: Isn't the word out that Bada OS is nothing revolutiony and offers nothing extra.
And I really doubt if they would bring Bada OS to sub 10k phones.

GPS doesn't require any data connection...5230 has inbuilt GPS chip..so you don't need data connection to get GPS lock...however if you are using Google Maps, then you have to use data to download maps...if you install offline maps..data is not required at all...and yes, use of GPS is free...

pranut said:
ok but since the GPS feature is free, I would rather go for Nokia 5230, at the nokia site its given that it does not come with a data cable. Then how come u got a cable ?
Please explain to me the GPS feature of the phone.....

@RadioHeAd
for how much u got ? how is it ?

The cell is definetely good for the price and since i had used it for a few days, probably thats the reason why i bought it. I am yet to checkout the Mp3 qualities but overall the speakers arent the best but they work fine.
the image quality of the cam is pretty nice although the drawback is lack of the flash feature but again its pretty good and the flash u get with the fones in that range are usually crappy. If i had to rate the fone wrt VFM it would be a full 10 on 10. If u crave to use features like the GPS and 3g which i personally felt is an added and for me an unwanted extra 1000 bucks then surely go ahead with 5230.

thanks for the reply guys, also I dont think I m gonna get a Data cable with the phone, so can anyone tell me what type of data cable does the phone support as i right now have CA-101 with me.

firstly i was having nokia 5233 , when i came to know that 5230 has gps and 3g i swapped 5233 with 5230 at the earliest through my local dealer at a cost of 2.5k . I want to tell you that if you take this phone you will have loads of option of doing things with your mobile. If you want a feature that the phone dosent have, just go online and download an app. And yes creative ep-630 works fine. I personally use it. But the biggest problem is the availbility of 5230 . Nokia has stopped the production of this coz it hitted the sale of 5800XM . As a matter of fact it has all the features of 5800 + better screen resolution. I have many friend having corbys and star3g , installing an app and freedom of customising the mobile according to them is actually " pain in the a** ".

firstly i was having nokia 5233 , when i came to know that 5230 has gps and 3g i swapped 5233 with 5230 at the earliest through my local dealer at a cost of 2.5k . I want to tell you that if you take this phone you will have loads of option of doing things with your mobile. If you want a feature that the phone dosent have, just go online and download an app. And yes creative ep-630 works fine. I personally use it. But the biggest problem is the availbility of 5230 . Nokia has stopped the production of this coz it hitted the sale of 5800XM . As a matter of fact it has all the features of 5800 + better screen resolution. I have many friend having corbys and star3g , installing an app and freedom of customising the mobile according to them is actually " pain in the a** ". And yes 5233 & 5230 both has got cat-101 cable provided in package. The gps works fine and it takes very less time to get a fix on your position as it is also assisted by service providers towers. Just get the latest version of google maps. Nokia ovi maps is preloaded in it. Just get yourself the airtel 2GB internet for Rs.98 and you will be happy.

Back