Which connection for Prepaid - Lifetime validity

Say, I need to give dad (who has not used any mobile yet) a phone, so that i can contact him all the while. So thought of prepaid with life time validity.

Which one is better

Reliance?

Tata indicom?

or Airtel?

- Location in Kerala

- I also need to buy phone for the same, hence GSM or CDMA does not make a difference I guess..

Suggestions welcome...

outgoing calls are way too expensive on the lifetime pre-paids...

within a month or two, once your dad gets familiar with his new toy, he'll start using it for making o/g calls and then the high o/g rates would hurt

I would say, don't go for CDMA, good handset costs are high in CDMA model, also if you want to change the handset in a later stage, it will be a pain. Your old CDMA handset will become zero value, but GSM handsets are not like that. with CDMA, if You want to change the operator, you need to change the handset also. So GSM is the way to go. (I have both GSM and CDMA phones, I am telling it with my personal experience).

You can begin with a lifetime prepaid card, if Your father starts making out going calls, from then on he can use the monthly recharge cards (in this way he can use the recharge cards only for a particular period in which he feels that he will be making out going calls, then back to the original life time plan)

superczar said:
is that possible?

Its possible in Reliance, It must be possible in GSM also. If you recharge in a particular month for a scheme, you can use the scheme for that month, after one month, it will revert back to life time scheme.

gmano said:
I would say, don't go for CDMA, good handset costs are high in CDMA model, also if you want to change the handset in a later stage, it will be a pain. Your old CDMA handset will become zero value, but GSM handsets are not like that. with CDMA, if You want to change the operator, you need to change the handset also. So GSM is the way to go. (I have both GSM and CDMA phones, I am telling it with my personal experience).

Cant we put reliance tsim cards in tata's cells and vice a versa.

gmano said:
Its possible in Reliance, It must be possible in GSM also. If you recharge in a particular month for a scheme, you can use the scheme for that month, after one month, it will revert back to life time scheme.

this is NOT possible with ANY gsm operator

i m on airtel lifetime prepaid...i m on a scheme where daily rs 1.5 is deducted frm my account and all call charges goes by 99 paise excluding std....earlier it was 49 paise so i changed to this..but now thinking to go with billing of hutch(corporate plans)

I think prepaid palns of 1year are better. Dont know about offers in Kerala, but I had a 1year plan from last sept (Airtel). Paid 900 and got 770 worth calls and could add to that whenever I needed (calls gsm-gsm re1/min). Today I got an offer for 500 easy recharge, 300 worth talktime and 0.5/min for gsm-gsm and extension of the plan to 1year.

Im not a very frequent user of my cell, but usually spend around 100+/month. I think this kind of plan is good for both incoming and outgoing needs. And who knows what would be the prices by next year :). Check out if there are any such plans available in your tel circle.

bluediamond said:
Say, I need to give dad (who has not used any mobile yet) a phone, so that i can contact him all the while. So thought of prepaid with life time validity.

Which one is better

Reliance?
Tata indicom?
or Airtel?

- Location in Kerala
- I also need to buy phone for the same, hence GSM or CDMA does not make a difference I guess..

Suggestions welcome...

Whichever you choose you will be milked for a lifetime. :bleh:
So, choose anyone you please. Be sure that it has decent signal coverage in your area. However, personally I would prefer Airtel among the three. :)

Back