Which console to buy for 2D platformers/indie games

gourav

Skilled
I am interested in casual gaming. I play games like Limbo, Inside etc. My latest game is Unbound Worlds Apart which I'm playing on my Mac Mini.

While the MM is powerful enough for my needs, unfortunately it doesn't have a lot of games and poor controller support. And I don't want to spend a lot on a dedicated gaming PC since I play occasionally.

So I was thinking of buying a used console. However, I've never used a console and I don't know much about them. Are they good for the kind of games I want to play? If yes, then which used console should I buy?

Have you tried running those games in a virtualized windows environment?
If wanna head towards the console route, you might be able to get ps4 slim etc at 14-18k depending on the condition. Though I'm not sure whether Playstation has those titles you're looking for

I have M1 Mac, so I'll have to buy parallels desktop for 7-8k and run Windows ARM on it. Hence thought of buying a console. The other advantage of buying a console is that if after a while I don't feel like playing, I can sell it off.

I'm not looking specifically for those games, they were just examples for the type of games I like playing. I've already played those games.

How much should I pay for a 2019 Xbox One S 1TB in Mumbai? A guy on OLX is quoting 15,500 for it. I personally feel it's slightly on the higher side.

How much should I pay for a 2019 Xbox One S 1TB in Mumbai? A guy on OLX is quoting 15,500 for it. I personally feel it's slightly on the higher side.
I think it's a good deal, normally the 1TB version goes for about 17-18k.

Ask them about the condition of the controller. If it's as old as the console there could be drift or the stick caps could be damaged. You will end up paying around 5k for a new controller.

Also the xbox is the perfect console for you. You could also subscribe to the xbox game pass which comes with a good collection of games and is at the moment the most economical way to play video games.

Last edited:
I think it's a good deal, normally the 1TB version goes for about 17-18k.
That price is for a XBOX ONE X. The one S goes for much cheaper. Normally around 12-13k at max. And that too pristine condition. In fact, we have one for sale right here on TE.

Although I absolutely agree to your point of getting the controller checked. Thats the only point of contact between a console and user. And it should be in best working condition.

That price is for a XBOX ONE X. The one S goes for much cheaper. Normally around 12-13k at max. And that too pristine condition.
Ok
In fact, we have one for sale right here on TE.
It's no longer available, I had checked with the sellers here.

I eventually dropped the plan of buying a console because I mostly get bored of gaming in a month or so. I just got a controller which works with my Mac and found some games on Steam compatible with Mac. Most of the newer games are compatible, so there's quite a bit too play.

I eventually dropped the plan of buying a console because I mostly get bored of gaming in a month or so. I just got a controller which works with my Mac and found some games on Steam compatible with Mac. Most of the newer games are compatible, so there's quite a bit too play.
Which controller did you get? What games do you play on the mac? Do they run smoothly? Maybe share the specs of your mac as well?

I have M1 Mac Mini with 8 GB RAM.

I got a Redgear Pro Wireless controller for Rs. 1300. It works fine with Steam games, even though settings might need to be adjusted on a per-game basis.

So far I have played Tomb Raider (2013), runs smoothly at 2560x1440 at medium settings. Then I was playing Unbound Worlds Apart. It's 2D, but very good graphics and quite demanding, brings down my Ryzen with Vega 8 graphics to its knees at 1080p max settings, but runs smoothly at 2560x1440 with max settings on the Mac Mini. I have also played a couple of other 2D platformers which are not so demanding, so not worth mentioning.

Back