Which console to buy - India / USA ?

Hi Mates

I have read the newbie console buying thread,but still need expert advice..

I have heard gaming experience is better on xbox 360 because of better FPS games and remote. The only advantage of getting PS3 would be a blue ray player and few exclusive titles.In any case I would DL BBrips and connect my laptop to my HD TV and watch BB movies. So i suppose the experience would more or less remain the same, right ?

Next question is..Should i buy it from India or US? Friend is coming on 29th December, so he may get a good deal on thanks giving..

I don't play much of online games and wud be ok with modding.. So my question with regard to the same are what all i can and can't do after modding. ??

1. Would i be able to play original titles after modding on net ?
2. Would i be able to upgrade my console firmware ?
3. Would my machine become region free ( NTSC / PAL )
4. Some say even after modding warranty could be saved,is it true?
5. Where to get modding done in NCR,specific shops and how much do they charge?
6. I have a Bravia 40', would buying PS3 give any benefit ( Bravia synch feature )
7. Also, if you have done modding/heard about it, please share the experience.
8. Would game updates be a problem after modding ?

Do mention if i have missed anything..

Please advise, thanks a lot in advance, reps on it way :p

Mods - Request you to edit if something is not allowed from above questions..

Cheers - Peace !

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

guys, bump ?!

1. Yes...provided your console is not flagged due to improper game burning(any one which u played offline).
2. Yes. Can be done anytime.
3. Based on region you buy it would be PAL / NTSC
4. Yes...Warranty sticker needs to be removed using hair dryer technique.
5. Try Pallika bazaar or wait for others to reply...charges vary from 1500-3000 depending on model...slim modding is bit costlier
6. Not much...using HDMI both should be almost the same...PS3 might have an edge as it has better CPU/GPU
7. Depends on the games.

If warranty is not an issue then you can get one from US but it would NTSC and its very hard to find original NTSC games here...

I have XBOX...I love it with kinect(my brother's kinect :( )...Games are really good...Even i have Sony Bravia 40'...Xbox is definitely worth it...Go for Slim bundle only!

PS3 has better graphics n few very good titles but I would suggest Xbox because of Kinect.

hey, thanks for the reply.... I had word with my friend, he has PS3 and almost all latest titles.....

He says dont mod and he'll give all titles to me for free....thats 15k+ worth of titles only...So i was thinking to get PS3 from US ( as ps3 games are not region specific i guess ).

I was thinking for xbox 360 but again i need to buy titles then or mod it :(

But is kinect actually good ?? As in i have heard people get bored of it after few weeks....?

And 1 most imp question still unanswered - PS3 or Xbox 360 ??

This question has been answered more than a dozen times in the recent past! Despite all the suggestions that can possibly be given, to finally select one is completely left at the discretion of the buyer. Did you happen to go through Aman's thread? If not I'd urge you to go through it. The guide which has neatly laid down most of the pros and cons of each console, has helped a lot of members in the past and it should clear most of your doubts.

Link - http://www.techenclave.com/gaming-consoles/a-newbies-guide-to-console-get-187720.html

i have done more than that, googled it, spent few minutes in youtube comparing graphics of both. But still not able to decide as my friends say different things everytime. Few say go with xbox ( great kinect ), few say PS3 ( gr8 titles )...

In the end its like, the more you read the more confused you go !

^ there is no difference in gfx.even if there is,it differs from game to game.

if you are certain that you are going to mod it,than you will not get to play online.at the moment xbox is more mature as per the modding goes and you can easily get modding done in palika bazar.

looking by your requirements,it seems that you will be more happy with a xbox than ps3.but ps3 gives more bang for the buck if you dont mod it.

modding has some negatives -

update hassles - everytime a new update comes you will need to mod it again which will cost you and you will not get to play new games unless you do the required update/mod.

online play - fps,fifa almost half of the fun will be out of this games if you mod since you cannot play online.

warranty - now this depends on the modder and his dexterity.there are some out there who can mod it without hampering the warranty as far as xbox is concerned,but more often than not its gone.ps3 warranty stays i guess since its a soft mod and you can always remove .

ok, i guess i will not go ahead with modding. Will stick to Original titles. But 1 question,

I have heard few things on which i need your input -

1. Kinect is better than Move !!

2. FPS games are better played Xbox360

3. Xbox360 controller is better than PS3's DS...

Thanks.

^^

1]kinect's novelty gets over pretty fast

2] depends on the fps really you in for halo or kz3? personally at the price point ps3 blows xbox away and also you will be having better support for ps3 in the next 2 years as far as 1st party titles are concerned.

3 naaa it just depends on the person.once you are playing the game,you hardly think about how you are holding the controller.

in short -

if you are getting something which you are not going to mod,ps3 all the way.

360 controller is far superior compared to ds3 though 360 controller has very in accurate d pad which ms releases a new controller with enhanced d pad

Thanks for your input guys, but one says xbox & the other says PS3. Still, if we see the box as a whole and feature wise PS3 is more loaded.

1. DO we need to buy batteries for xbox controller & pay to use its wi-fi ??

2. Can i play PAL games on NTSC xbox ? ( I know this could be done with PS3, but not sure about xbox )

Thanks

dinjo said:
360 controller is far superior compared to ds3 though 360 controller has very in accurate d pad which ms releases a new controller with enhanced d pad

That's a matter of opinion, imo :p DS3 > 360 controller for certain games like adventure/action and 360 for FPS's.

Params7 said:
That's a matter of opinion, imo :p DS3 > 360 controller for certain games like adventure/action and 360 for FPS's.

ohakay !! But when it comes to FPS, in % terms, 360 controller is better than DS3 by what % ??

like 51-49% :p I still play all my FPS's on PS3 with the ds3 (and do pretty good online hehe). But when I hold the 360 controller, since its feels a lot more fuller there's just less jerking in very intense scenarios I feel when you tend to hold the controller really tight.

There's also decent 3rd party controllers for ps3 which are shaped like 360's like this one like Nyko Raven.

So even if your preference is 360 controllers you can still get it with ps3.

No way 360 is lead platform for shooters not only in comfort in controls but also the exclusive content comes first on 360.

I am venturing in console territory for the 1st time. Looks wise no doubt 360 controller is better, performance wise i dont know. I would play a lot of FPS. Earlier i was game for PS3, but now few are saying that 360 is better for FPS, thus again a question mark is there.... PS3 or Xbox !!

I was in similar Dilemma and Bought the then 120GB ELite from US..

I thought of Modding it then, but bought a Few originals and an Indian Power Adapter..

Now After 1 year or so, I am thinking of Modding it....

BTW Regarding controller, I had a chance to use my friend's PS3. And its Controls for FPS/Racing games Suck in My opinion..

If you play more of them, get the 360 and mod it..

Else PS3

I know its taking me time ti take a decision, but i am cool with it as i am gaming on my Asus G-50 right now. But yes, would like to buy console the moment me out of this dilemma, so help me for the same.

My options at the moment are -

1. Friend coming from US on 29th December.

a. I can ask him to buy xbox/ps3 during Thanks giving SALE on 24th Nov and then wait for a month & give me on Dec 30.

b. Ask him to buy xbox/360, one week prior of his leaving i.e. around 20th Dec.

2. Buy new xbox/ps3 from India ( letsbuy.com )

3. Another local friend selling his NTSC xbox ( un-modded ), thus can buy the same from him ( Will negotiate with him thought )

So, lets put an end to this ! Suggest :)

P.S.- Good friend of mine willing to share 10+ latest PS3 titles with me :p, for free :)

But why such huge dilemma?

If you get a Xbox360 then be prepared to miss out on all the AAA PS3 exclusives and also Xbox360 doesn't have many good exclusives other than GeOW, Alan Wake, Halo (if you like shooters).

For multiplatform games Xbox360 graphics are slightly better in many cases.

And I don't really understand this argument about shooters being better on Xbox360 since I own both the consoles and I'm comfortable with both the controllers.

Does anyone actually have a point or two as to why is the Xbox360 better for shooters?

I don't think so as its a personal preference (ask your friends about the specific points)

So you just need to do following things:

1. Get a feel of both controllers and see which one you like.

2. Check out the gamelist of both and see which ones you want to play.

As for getting it from US, just double check the warranty issue.

^^ i guess warranty would be an issue. If around thanksgiving my friend gets a PS3 for 200$, i ll ask him to get it. As i would be saving 5k ( but yeah, no warranty ).

I do like FPS games, no racing games for me. I ll visit a friend and take feel of both controllers. As far as graphics are concerned, xbox has better contrast ratio ( i assume after seeing 'n' number of videos on youtube )

Could also check option of getting my friends NTSC xbox & then mod it.

you would need a microscope to pinpoint the difference in multiplatform games while playing,so contrast ratio can seriously go to hell.and i have played both the consoles for enough time to confirm that unless you are a controller freak,xbox controller wont appeal as "better" to you.if anything,its worse.and seriously guys what is this xbox being better in fps?are you looking for a flame war or what?how exactly is it better?because of the controller?what a drag.and the ps3 exclusives blow the xbox out of the water,xbox got halo,gears and alan wake to name a few but ps3 got god of war,resistance series,uncharted series,killone series,infamous series,littlebigplanet etc.(its a big list),need i say more?after a buying a console the only thing that matters is the games,and would you like to get stuck with a console which doesnt let you play all those delicious games i mentioned?you chose.

Back