PC Peripherals Which DDR3 RAM for i7 on Asus Rampage II Gene

kiran1103

Disciple
Hello,

Any suggestions on which RAM for Rampage II Gene. The board supports upto 2000 (OC).

Also which one to take CL6 or CL7 (Gskill or OCZ Reaper)?????

somebody was selling their supertalent 2000mhz cl8 ram in the marketplace. though he had bought them for 12k through kmd.

they were impressive

Look, the fact of the matter is, you'll actually end up getting lesser performance from high clocked(2000Mhz or so) kits as compared to lower clocked kits(say 1600Mhz) with tighter, or even similar timings...
Unless you can get past 210-220 or so BCLK, which is when your performance will start clawing back. Go any higher and it'll leave the slower kits in the dust. Even then, the real world performance gain may not be enough to warrant the price premium. It should however at the least give you more over clocking flexibility by letting you select higher ram ratios.
Bottomline: Consider these super-clocked kits ONLY you are going for super-high OC's.

And now a few recommendation:-
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PIS Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2200 (PC3 17600) Desktop Memory Model F3-17600CL7D-4GBPIS - Desktop Memory
And
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PIS Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model F3-16000CL6D-4GBPIS - Desktop Memory
^ If you are willing to spend a bit more for tighter timings. Matches the max. memory spec. of your motherboard too.

Don't bother with kits clocked higher than these. They are considerably more expensive for one, and the other reasons can be found in the newegg reviews posted.(sorry, feeling a bit sleepy so i don't want to type it here myself :p )
If you aren't aiming for high OC's, just get Gskill's 1600Mhz CL9 Ripjaws kit which retails for under 7k here and enjoy local warranty.
Good luck. :)

draglord said:
if u want to stich to ddr3 2000, then have a look at these

Desktop Memory - TechShop.in - Buy Tech Online Now!!!

but i wud suggest u to go for Gskill trident series, as it has looser timings then OCZ gold edition, also, it runs at 1.6V, so if u overclock it to 1.8 or 1.9V, it shudnt be a problem, and they can be overclocked to run at 2200mhz or more

since when are looser timings better?????????
you do know looser = slower right?

ideal timing to speed ratio:
1066mhz = cl5/6
1333mhz = cl6
1600mhz = cl6/7
1800mhz = cl7/8
2000mhz = cl8/9

the lower (tighter) the cl is faster the ram

draglord said:
wat i meant to say was....since it has loose timings, he can tighten it by overclocking, since there is ample headroom for that

tightening looser ram timing is not easy dude & usually needs vdimm bump which is risky on i7

you can however use a 2000mhz cl9 kit at 1600mhz cl7

DIMMs with loose timings does not really translate to easy to tighten and get quicker speeds. It more over depends on the module, the rating, certification. If it is performance or high speed. And as Udit, has mentioned one cannot that easily lower the CLs, or by upping the voltage feed to the modules.

well...the best wud be to go for 1333mhz ram at 5-5-5-24 timings at CL5 (yes, CL5)...

AM3_Nb_test.png

proof here

since OP asked for 2000mhz ram, so i suggested him that one

and i was wrong about one thing...i said that the other ram had more loose timings, thnx for correcting me Udit

draglord said:
if u want to stich to ddr3 2000, then have a look at these

Desktop Memory - TechShop.in - Buy Tech Online Now!!!

but i wud suggest u to go for Gskill trident series, as it has looser timings then OCZ gold edition, also, it runs at 1.6V, so if u overclock it to 1.8 or 1.9V, it shudnt be a problem, and they can be overclocked to run at 2200mhz or more

Whoa whoa, I would NOT want to put more than 1.65V on the RAM when using these IMC chips. Not to mention that Gskill's DIMMs have historically never liked extra voltage very much. If you(OP/TS) need higher spec. RAM, buy it within that envelope. Just trust me on this.

Also, +1 to Udit's posts. Man knows what he's on about.

Back