Storage Solutions Which DVD Burner Enclosure to buy?

djanuj

Disciple
Hi guys I am djanuj from Mumbai. I have Sony Optiarc 5280S CB Plus DVD burner. I need to convert the drive to external with USB 3.0 feature but I don't know which one to buy. My main criteria is that it should be external and have USB 3.0 connectivity only. And without power supply if possible. Don't know if to go without power supply or with. Is it possible to tweak the enclosure such that it gives extra power without Power supply? Also what confuses me more is that whether to buy 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch. As for my drive I found that it is a 5.25 inch drive so how will I be able to fit them inside the enclosure in such a small space? Please help. Need to decide asap.

Currently I found was Vantec NexStar DX which allows 5.25 inch drive to be fit in and has USB 3.0. But it costs 3200. So is any cheaper option available? In India?

Read the label on top of your DVD burner. It says 12V ~ 2.5A. Your USB port outputs 5V ~ 500mA. You won't be able to get it to work without an external power supply.

Read the label on top of your DVD burner. It says 12V ~ 2.5A. Your USB port outputs 5V ~ 500mA. You won't be able to get it to work without an external power supply.

The DVD burner shows me 2 watts one is 5v ~ 1.5A and other is 12v ~ 2.5A
So if I use Y shaped USB Cord then it may work no?

^ Looks fine.

If you're looking for a compact unit without a power supply, can try the slim external dvd writers instead of looking for a casing for a 5.25" drive : http://www.flipkart.com/laptop-accessories/external-dvd-writers/pr?sid=6bo,ai3,w44
USB 2.0 is not a bottleneck for DVD writing. 8x speeds are 11MB/s. USB 2.0 can handle 40~50MB/s.
Thanks the thing is that I don't want to buy a new burner. I already have an external burner but I want to convert this to external too.

Back