Which earthing solution?

smAsh

Disciple
Hi all,
I have to decide the earthing solution for our new house. There are mainly two options available, Copper plate earthing and Chemical(Electrode) earthing. Some people say copper plate earthing is better since the bigger surface area of copper plate gives better earthing.
The marketing guys offering chemical earthing says that their product has better life since there is no corrosion which is the main problem in copper earthing.

I am totally confused. Cost wise both are near 6000/-. So tell me guys which one to choose and why?

~Ashish

well i don't know about chemical eletrode but the copper plate is a tried and tested method.i installed additional new copper plate earthing around a decade ago in my house after i got enlighted by the need of good earthing.its looks good in shape even now,with respect to condcutivity such that when a lighting struck more then 100 mtrs the RCBO or elcb tripped.even though the power wasn't their.

Even I am inclined towards Copper Plate Earthing. I have heard a common complaint that copper plate method gets inefficient after two-three years due to corrosion, but I see that yours is still working after a decade. Can you please tell me is there any maintenance etc with copper earthing?

BTW I am being suggested to use at least 3 mm thickness and 1.5 x 1.5 sqft copper plate for the load of 5 KW. Is it sufficient?

smAsh said:
Even I am inclined towards Copper Plate Earthing. I have heard a common complaint that copper plate method gets inefficient after two-three years due to corrosion, but I see that yours is still working after a decade. Can you please tell me is there any maintenance etc with copper earthing?

BTW I am being suggested to use at least 3 mm thickness and 1.5 x 1.5 sqft copper plate for the load of 5 KW. Is it sufficient?

should be more then inuff for a 5kw load.
well i haven't done any maintenance,except pour water in marathon non rainy days.

Back