Which engg stream in 2014 and beyond - ECE, CSE, IT or EEE

i was targeting your view on "general perception - not entirely true."

yes, there are always exceptions. chances of buying a hummer is like 1 in a lakh for a pottery maker, but 1 in a thousand for a software engineer.

and then people will always come up phrases like, "you need to be good at what you do." i guess the programmers you've seen not-owning-a-car-or-house are not good enough in their jobs. rightfully, they don't deserve a car or house.

so far i haven't come across a bad pottery maker but seen a lot of bad software engineers. lot of software engineers have cars. one needs to be practical in choosing professions. i wanted to buy a car without doing physical labour, so i chose to work with computers in an air conditioned office. i love to do pottery but i couldn't have earned that much with the pottery business, because i want to sell pottery made by my hands only! i am good at whatever i 'wilfully' do, so i am sure that i could've bought a hummer with pottery alone, but how practical is that? one serving of sushi is thousand times costlier than a piece of pottery. both the professions need dexterity and i'd definitely switch to sushi (from pottery) to increase my chances of buying a hummer.

Of course for a candidate the inclination is important but the prospects should also be there.
if a person has decided to choose one of the streams you mentioned, it's clear that he/she wants a professional degree. so, it's all about the earning prospects. if one is so inclined, there's no dearth of vocational courses.

for most of the desk jobs in software field, CSE and IT are preferred. exceptions are everywhere... ECE & EEE guys can also work with CSE/IT guys, after conversion.

^ Again, you are missing the point entirely... I meant to emphasize that money should not be the aim of choosing a path in life. money will follow. where I live construction workers earn more than software engineers.

I bet you don't live in India, am I right?
I thought everyone knew it already...

btw, I have seen many people here who came for higher studies in CS and then ended up working casual jobs. Not saying that there is any disgrace in that. but when you are out of India, you will understand that SW guy is just like any other professional.

Hmm. I t Moshink you have a very short view of other engineers or their abilities. Or understanding of their profiles. You kinda dismissed a lot of people. But agree that you can have your opinion. And that's all I am going to say about that. :D

I think you are still misunderstanding my point. I am not undermining the role of testers or testing. My point simply put is that, people who say they can only test software are redundant and pointless to have and it applies the other way as well. i.e. developers who say they cannot test. They have always been except for the fact that companies used to hire such people to cut costs or as in the software services industry, when they want more people just for head count and billing purposes.

Testers are absolutely needed and the best people for that role are who are fully capable of implementing or fixing said functionality if required. In this fast paced world of technology, companies have begun to realize that they need software engineers, people who are capable of designing, developing and testing software to perform all those roles interchangeably. As such people who claim to be software engineers/professionals, but are either not capable of or don't like the idea of being able to do both are fast becoming obsolete.

Secondly, I am also not saying that a software engineer will have to test all aspects of his code himself. He will do his own DEV testing part as usual, but the other guys who are going to test it will also be software engineers who are just as capable of designing and developing that software or fixing the issues that they uncover as they are with testing it. That's is the best possible way to test software.

Further QA/QC are different from the usual software testing.I think you are mixing those roles as well with software testers which is sort of understandable because they are often mixed in with the software testers. The people in those roles are experts in both the domain and the relevant processes and they cannot be replaced by your regular developers are testers. However most companies have very few of these people and the people who often who refer to themselves as QA team are actually the software testers.

Back