Graphic Cards Which GPU to buy for i5 3470

Arjun

Skilled
Below are my specs, PSU is 9 years old.
Intel Core i5-3470
Gigabyte B75M-D3H
Gskill 2x 8gb ddr3
PSU Corsair CX400

I had a GTX 650 TI boost , sold last week , i was looking to buy a used 1050 ti or rx 570 but there are no sellers here, so thinking of going for this 1650 https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_p=649eac15-05ce-45c0-86ac-3e413b8ba3d4 , is this a good price,does this GPU make sense for my specs, it is energy efficient also, i would be mostly playing some old games , GTA5, maybe RE 3.

If you have the budget, go for a better GPU. Don't worry too much if its overpowered. It will be useful whenever you upgrade.
I have a 1650 from an impulse purchase. Its okay but not exactly vfm. Very power efficient though. A slightly more expensive 1060 would be better . See : https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/05/08/nvidia-gtx-1650-vs-gtx-1060/

That price is on the higher side IMO. Seen it go below 11.5k . 1060 second hand can also be considered. seen it go at 8k

I am no longer looking for RX570 due to the PSU, 960 is too old, If i go for new GPU 1650 is what fits the specs, super would be overkill and bottleneck, i wont be upgrading the CPU for another 2-3 years, i dont see the need to upgrade for my usage, i can get the 1650 at 11500 after 1k SBI discount. Ideally i would like a 1050 TI for around 4-5k. I may get a i7 3770 later if i find it dirt cheap.
Post automatically merged:

If you have the budget, go for a better GPU. Don't worry too much if its overpowered. It will be useful whenever you upgrade.
I have a 1650 from an impulse purchase. Its okay but not exactly vfm. Very power efficient though. A slightly more expensive 1060 would be better . See : https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/05/08/nvidia-gtx-1650-vs-gtx-1060/

That price is on the higher side IMO. Seen it go below 11.5k . 1060 second hand can also be considered. seen it go at 8k
Will check for any deals for 1060, it is about the same performance as a RX 570.

Last edited:
If i go for new GPU 1650 is what fits the specs, super would be overkill and bottleneck,
That extra 2.5-3K for GTX1650 Super is worth IMO. Performance improvement of super over vanila 1650 is nearly 40%. It can easily add more than a year of longevity. Also it will add cherry on cake if you going to upgrade your proccy too. Performance wise it would be GTX1650 Super >= GTX1060 > RX 570 > GTX1650 !

BTW, what is your total budget for this overhaul ? I am somehow skeptical for 9 year old PSU and would see it can be changed first.

Last edited:
That extra 2.5-3K for GTX1650 Super is worth IMO. Performance improvement of super over vanila 1650 is nearly 40%. It can easily add more than a year of longevity. Also it will add cherry on cake if you going to upgrade your proccy too. Performance wise it would be GTX1650 Super >= GTX1060 > RX 570 > GTX1650 !

BTW, what is your total budget for this overhaul ? I am somehow skeptical for 9 year old PSU and would see it can be changed first.

Actually the 570 4GB is faster than the 1060 3GB in almost everything modern. The 6GB card is obviously faster but then they cost more. The 570 is the best card overall considering current prices in the used market. It might be the most vfm AMD card ever to be honest. It has had a very very long life.

If buying new, I agree the 1650 Super makes the most sense. Vanilla 1650 isn't a gaming card - it is an htpc card.

Actually the 570 4GB is faster than the 1060 3GB in almost everything modern. The 6GB card is obviously faster but then they cost more. The 570 is the best card overall considering current prices in the used market. It might be the most vfm AMD card ever to be honest. It has had a very very long life.

If buying new, I agree the 1650 Super makes the most sense. Vanilla 1650 isn't a gaming card - it is an htpc card.
Considering "CURRENT" prices. I will be honest with you here, i am not seeing a lot of sale ads for gpus on techenclave and we have one less site with erodov down. The FB group also is currently in a slump with more WTB ads there than people selling cards. a year back the situation was completely different with close to everyone selling 1050tis and rx 570s.

This is for OP, i myself am running a xeon e3 1230 v2 which i bought from aliexpress for around 3.3k with an asus rog rx 570 which i bought second hand for 8k(still has like 2 year warranty left as of 2020). It is equivalent to an i7 3770 and is a big improvement over my i3 3220, and is a good improvement over your i5 with 4 extra threads. I'm not too sure about your psu although corsair is indeed a good brand but it really is old and it's just 400 instead of the usual 450 (which is strange). Now although the 1650 super released a few months after i bought my rx 570, and if i had the extra cash i would have went for that but honestly, even the rx 570 and for the price i paid for it, it's too good :p

I dont have a budget i dont game, with the lockdown and work from home i have some time to game and got GTA 5 for free so looking for a GPU, I am OK spending upto 11k for a new GPU and 5-6k for a used GPU, the PSU is working fine, had run a GTX 650 ti boost which takes more power than a 1650 super. Dont plan on upgrading the PSU unless it starts malfunctioning, the hardware will have to fit the PSU.

In such case, I would suggest to spend less and limit to used GPU. Vanilla 1650 is nearly waste of money IMO.

Ordered a GTX 1650 Super
Post automatically merged:

Last edited:
Considering "CURRENT" prices. I will be honest with you here, i am not seeing a lot of sale ads for gpus on techenclave and we have one less site with erodov down. The FB group also is currently in a slump with more WTB ads there than people selling cards. a year back the situation was completely different with close to everyone selling 1050tis and rx 570s.

This is for OP, i myself am running a xeon e3 1230 v2 which i bought from aliexpress for around 3.3k with an asus rog rx 570 which i bought second hand for 8k(still has like 2 year warranty left as of 2020). It is equivalent to an i7 3770 and is a big improvement over my i3 3220, and is a good improvement over your i5 with 4 extra threads. I'm not too sure about your psu although corsair is indeed a good brand but it really is old and it's just 400 instead of the usual 450 (which is strange). Now although the 1650 super released a few months after i bought my rx 570, and if i had the extra cash i would have went for that but honestly, even the rx 570 and for the price i paid for it, it's too good :p
DO you require server Ram for the Xeon? will my current system be compatible if i just upgrade to a Xeon from Aliexpress

want to know for my knowledge, i may not order, May order after a year , may order from ebay. Aliexpress shipping is 50$ for speedpost.

Ra
want to know for my knowledge, i may not order, May order after a year , may order from ebay. Aliexpress shipping is 50$ for speedpost.

This shows every cpu supported by your mobo, which also includes xeons (bottom). To answer your question, no you don't need server ram for a xeon cpu to work. A xeon cpu will work fine as long as the mobo's socket works with it

Back