Graphic Cards Which GPU ?

With ref to my previous post regarding a decent gaming pc, I've finally selected the proccy, mobo, monitor etc etc. But I'm having some issues with the GPU.

Here are the candidates I've narrowed down.
From ATI - 4770,4830,4850
nVidia - 9800GT.

The dude is selling me the 4850 at I think 1.5k more than the 4770 so I think thats a pretty decent deal. If its sufficiently better I'll hold back for a few weeks and buy it from my first salary.

Are there any nvidia GPU's coming out which would be comparable? I can't afford the expensive high end ones and am looking at the cheaper low-mid range alternatives.

And thanks for the help in my first thread : )

i hope you have a good PSU to run the config.. Atleast a Corsair CX400..

GPU: Sapphire ATI HD4850 for rs. 6800 :hap2: (because HD4770 is unavailable)

better get CX400. Zebronics Platinum is of no good for 80W+ gfx cards.

Though Pro series are much better.

CX/VX is recommended if u have the budget.

/cry

Are nVidia planning to launch a new chipset around say august? I could play with integrated for a month and get a badass card. Am sure 4870 prices too would drop by then.

Now if only I could think and act as rationally as I type. :(

prices wud surelly fall, but not nytime soon for ATI atleast as 48XX has just undergone a good price drop last week.

4850@ 6.8k

and 4870@ 9k

almost 1.5~2k price drop. its a good time to get those cards.

@leet: actually what's badass card will depend on your display... Which monitor are you planning to use? 4850 is enough badass for a less than 22" monitor.

And Corsair CX400 would be an awesome purchase.. It can handle anything upto GTX275 with ease.

l33t_5n1p3r_max said:
/cry

Are nVidia planning to launch a new chipset around say august? I could play with integrated for a month and get a badass card. Am sure 4870 prices too would drop by then.

Now if only I could think and act as rationally as I type. :(

IINM you have a CRT monitor dont you? It doesn't make sense to buy a 'badass' card for a CRT if you wish to keep it for long! You ideally need a LCD if you wish to extract some juice out of the cards you're willing to invest.

nV and ATI keeps launching new GPUs each quarter. You could keep waiting and a new GPU'd hit the horizon and prices for existing ones would come down. It doesn't work out that way!

You haven't mentioned your budget either! You could get a Zebronics Pro Power 550W at 2.7k courtesy mediahome and probably he could give you a good deal for a HD4850. PM him!

PS: Amarbir @ Lynx have slashed his prices for Sapphire ATI cards by a good margin. You could alternately source the card from him.

Pardon my ignorance but weren't LCD's supposed to be kinda crap for gaming? Ghosting and some refresh rate issue were there back when I used to game, so I thought a CRT would be best.

Are CRT's unable to display high enough resolutions? I'm pretty sure I wont be going above 1280 at high settings for any game. Again, thank for the replies

l33t_5n1p3r_max said:
Pardon my ignorance but weren't LCD's supposed to be kinda crap for gaming? Ghosting and some refresh rate issue were there back when I used to game, so I thought a CRT would be best.
LCDs have improved a lot since they went mainstream a few years ago in terms of viewing angles, response time, darkness levels and power consumption. Just pick the appropriate panel based on your requirement.
l33t_5n1p3r_max said:
Are CRT's unable to display high enough resolutions? I'm pretty sure I wont be going above 1280 at high settings for any game. Again, thank for the replies
Most companies dont manufacture CRTs anymore, the highest possible resolution you are likely to find on a CRT would be 1280 x 1024.

Yup, CRTS were supposed to be gamer's choice a few years back. Nowasays LCDs has so much improved that its better than CRT in every aspect, be it contrast[dark to dark..or nyhtin], resolution, sharpness, color depth, power, weight, and is easy on eyes too.

actually dude, i am not able to play tomb raider underworld in my 15" CRT monitor (with ATI radeo x1550 agp) graphics card. Can u believe this ?. And when i replaced this badass monitor with samsung 2033SW LCD monitor, the game worked like a charm . In CRT monitor i got only the game menu. Other games worked fine in the CRT monitor except TRU. So today's games demand a good LCD monitor too. Hope now you have come to a conclusion....

Get the Sapphire 4850 for 6.8k

On another note,

anfjavid said:
actually dude, i am not able to play tomb raider underworld in my 15" CRT monitor (with ATI radeo x1550 agp) graphics card. Can u believe this ?. And when i replaced this badass monitor with samsung 2033SW LCD monitor, the game worked like a charm . In CRT monitor i got only the game menu. Other games worked fine in the CRT monitor except TRU. So today's games demand a good LCD monitor too. Hope now you have come to a conclusion....

I find that hard to believe. Games don't demand monitors.

lxq_ikrana said:
Get the Sapphire 4850 for 6.8k

On another note,

I find that hard to believe. Games don't demand monitors.

Probably a resolution issue, i find it hard to believe as well.

Back