PC Peripherals Which HDD to buy?

kin_of_evil said:
Hi,

Im plannin 1 buy a 160 GB HDD,PATA... i wud lyk 2 know, which brand to buy..

Which brand are you inclined toward ?

I prefer the Hitachi's today. I bought a Hitachi 160GB PATA HDD last month for 4k. I think they should be a bit cheaper now. If you want to check out a comparisons of 21 160gb drives ....

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/21hdd-160.html

Whatever you do DO NOT buy the Maxtor DM9 series drives ...bad... bad... bad .... The Maxtor DM 10 series are meant to be good.

although in the review Seagate HDD are given as low performing HDD I own a 2MB 160gb HDD for a year now and there has been no problems till date and i am quite satisfied with the performance. Just my personal opinion it may not be the best out there.

kin_of_evil said:
Hi,

Im plannin 1 buy a 160 GB HDD,PATA... i wud lyk 2 know, which brand to buy..
buddy if performance isn't a 90% requirement with u then it truly don't matter...
Just go with the 1 that gives u better support or maybe a better warranty...though thats a moot point these days since all have 5 years...

btw PATA's warranty maybe 3 years....I havent' bought a PATA since 2002....

I have been using Samsung hdd's for the past few years. I found them to be good. Nothing spectacular but good. They are also less noisy than Seagate. At least in my experience!

i got a Seagate 160Gb IDE HDD today, hasn't installed it yet, there is no much price difference between hitachi and seagate, i haven't read the reviews,but both of them is as good as the other, if you have a bad day then any harddisk can die, irrespective of how good the review is, on daily usage you wont see any difference in the performance of HDD, i have a samsung since 5yrs no problems till date.Infact while buying today first i ordered a hitachi 160GB, i even got the bill made, but i didn't like the packing of the product there was no seal on it,so no way i could i known it is brand new, so i had a change of mind and got a seagate.

Seagate 160GB IDE HDD = 3700/-

Hitachi 160GB IDE HDD = 3800/-

well hitachiz actually are the only drive that comes wit ha vacum SEAL afaik, and if it didnt ur prolly getting a used one or JHOLLed one :D
bad thing is there is no box or bubble pack,and also the sata ones dont come with a power converter cable

i personally prefer hitachi over seagate anyday,and YES the seagate hddz r quite noisier comparing any other brand

id suggest u buy in the so order

hitachi
samsung
seagate
maxtor

well hitachiz actually are the only drive that comes wit ha vacum SEAL afaik, and if it didnt ur prolly getting a used one or JHOLLed one :D
bad thing is there is no box or bubble pack,and also the sata ones dont come with a power converter cable

i personally prefer hitachi over seagate anyday,and YES the seagate hddz r quite noisier comparing any other brand

id suggest u buy in the so order

hitachi
samsung
seagate
maxtor

My preferences in purchase of HDD today would be..

Hitachi T7K series (not yet available locally)
Hitachi 7K series
Seagate 7200.9 series
Maxtor Maxline 3 series (enterprise class drives)
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 series
Western Digital (bad support in India)
Samsung (have seen many dead drives)

The Hitachi HDD he tried to sell me, had no seal pack, no box pack, no vaccum,

The drive was in a transparent plastic box, which to me look like a jholled drive,

most probably a used drive, so i didnt accept that, and took a seagate which has a better pack.

So guys stay away from RK Infosys.

Gives a cheap price, but not a good place.

smsrohit said:
The Hitachi HDD he tried to sell me, had no seal pack, no box pack, no vaccum,
The drive was in a transparent plastic box, which to me look like a jholled drive,
most probably a used drive, so i didnt accept that, and took a seagate which has a better pack.
So guys stay away from RK Infosys.
Gives a cheap price, but not a good place.

When I bought my Hitachi 160GB PATA drive about a month back it too came as you have mentioned - not only that - the drive said made in Thailand and the plastic box said made in Singapore. :) But I checked the black paint on the sides of the drive alongst the mounting holes and there were no scrapping marks nor did the screw holes show the slightest disfiguration of the threads which occurs even after the first time a screw is tightened onto the drive. Believe me after a drive has been handled you can see marks along the sides and top plate of the drives. Are these Hitachi drives reconditioned <<shrug>> who can tell. If these are reconditioned so can be the Seagates and Maxtors etc. ... how difficlut is it for the factories to vacuum seal the drive after a repair job ? I had 2 Maxtor sealed drives die on me early this year within months of use and I have one Hitachi for 2 years and one for a month with no problems.

I did confirm with the seller that I was getting 5 years warranty on the 160gb Hitachi PATA drive from the official importer - Cyberstar Chennai. I trust the seller APEX and so the drive is good enough for me.

@ eazy if used these guys use within themselves without screwing it in so :D

u never really know,unless u have a good dealer , isay beware

^ Eazy has a point - I dont think someone would use a drive without screwing it in and without mounting it in one of the drive bays as well !

You'd have to leave it dangling outside your case to be that careful , and IMO its not worth the hassle :p

Does seagate hdd package has a manual, cd, cable ?

This is what seagate mentioned at its site, i didnt get any of these, is it meant for only the american market, and not for us ?

Crazy_Eddy said:
^ Eazy has a point - I dont think someone would use a drive without screwing it in and without mounting it in one of the drive bays as well !
You'd have to leave it dangling outside your case to be that careful , and IMO its not worth the hassle :p
naaa man if u use the hdd mounting bays in either the antec p180 or super lanboy, the hdd is mounted using the 4 screw holes beneath the hdd, so neither r the sides scratched nor the threads on the screw holes damaged

SoulFire said:
@ eazy if used these guys use within themselves without screwing it in so :D

u never really know,unless u have a good dealer , isay beware

I know 3 big ... and I am talking about BIG BIG dealers in Mumbai ..... who use hardware till they have a buyer for it and then quitely it is cleaned up and repacked and sold as new. These 3 never screw their drives into drive bays but have them lying on their tables. Needless to say I have never bought HDDs or Motherboards from these guys. If you see a guy in a shop using a HDD this way then dont buy from them !!

By-the-way it will interest you people to know there is a well known shop at Lamington Road who has a back room where I have personally seen a sort of vacuum sealing machine - have a good day !! :D ..... and yes this same dealer had about a thousand disks of the type smsrohit has mentioned which are supposed to come with the HDDs - I asked why they were collecting these disks and not giving it with the drives and they just smiled and gave no answer !!!! Needless to say I have never been allowed inside this backroom since then :)

GOOD HONEST DEALER = IN YOUR DREAMS !!! CAVEAT EMPTOR (buyer beware) !!! :)

Back