PC Peripherals Which HDD to buy?

apollyon said:
naaa man if u use the hdd mounting bays in either the antec p180 or super lanboy, the hdd is mounted using the 4 screw holes beneath the hdd, so neither r the sides scratched nor the threads on the screw holes damaged

YUP - I have a P160 which is like that too - but not many people have these type of cases and the thing to keep in mind is that the total number of drives dealers sell daily so the chance of getting a drive coming out of one of these mounting bays is very slim.

Here is something to think about - I have read in a forum that drives which go back to the factories under warrranty for replacement are repaired and checked much more thoroughly than a fresh drive as they have to make sure everything in the drive is perfect before putting it back in the market. Some guys actually buy reconditioned drives at a cheaper price as they say these drives work better !! :O

goldenfrag said:
Hitachi's are cool.
But Samsungs support here in much better ;).
Samsungs are reliable too....In Jabalpur almost all the HDD's we sell (and even use are SS, simply b'coz others aren't available except seagate. And seagate's were a horror...

Would you believe this: out of 40 HDD's I sold in March-April 2004, 35 came back with bad sectors in 6 months...I am dead serious

People may say they've resolved the issues, but how do we know?? And its darn painful to find out...

@ Goldenfrag....the last female in your avatar....who was she?? very, very familiar face.....cannot place her....
Sorry to go off topic here guys!!!!

Also Samsungs models are a tad slower (and the SATA's do heat a bit) than say a WD...but xtremely reliable, I still have some 20 gig PATA 5400 rpm's that we use for backup, these are around 5 years old....

smsrohit said:
Which tool is good for scanning bad sector in a HDD

I normally run "chkdsk" in a CMD window. This will give the total space occupied by Bad Sectors found on a Partition of a HDD.

Back