Audio Which headphone to buy

adi_vastava

Code Game Code F**K
Adept
I am a very basic user when it comes to headphone. I was good with my philips SBC HL 150 for past few years.:ashamed:. Now it has reached its age and its time to replace. I thought to take your opinion on this, I was researching for past few hours and read several reviews including several TE pages.

I initially thought about Sennheiser Headphones HD 202 but found few reviews in TE which said Philips SHP8500 is way better than these. I searched for it but its not available now (old model perhaps). Ebay selling it for MRP 1999 which I do not found appropriate. Next I found that Philips SHP 2700/97 is a good headphone too and it is available for 1300 Rs approx.(durability is a question though).

I am furnishing my details next, kindly suggest what is good for me.

Budget: 1000-1500 (can go till 2000 if the product is really recommended, obviously can get it down too :p)

Use: In Games, listening music from PC mainly and from my nokia N79. I am no way a heavy user of headphones. I have speaker system attached to my PC so primarily I use it only in night while gaming or for music when I am traveling.

Should be comfortable: I wear glasses while playing so it should not hurt. My ears are not small so that is another point to consider.

I love bass but not at the cost of good music, so expecting a balanced solution.

Please suggest a good VFM product and if possible a link too?

Thanks for your time. :clap:

SHP2700 are really good...i've been using them for the last 3 years...and they are full size (circumaural)...so very comfortable too...imo they'll be ur best bet..

>> SHP2700 are really good...i've been using them for the last 3 years...and they are full size (circumaural)...so very comfortable too...imo they'll be ur best bet..

I heard there neckband is not durable? Any comments on sound quality?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

>>Koss porta pro , if your budget is around 2K , this is the way to go!

Ok, I'll look in to it. Can you share your experience about its durability, comfort and sound quality. I doubt anyone at TE sells those.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Update: Koss porta pro - > Checked the review and it looks like the best in range. Though I did not found them for 2K, they are available for around 3K at ebay. I do not think I will stretch my budget till that point.

well i've never faced any issues with the build quality...they've held up perfectly even after rough usage...

sound quality is pretty good for the price...being an open headphone, bass is little light, but mids and highs are pretty decent...

Hi I am Audio Technica distributor. I can recommend you ATH-M20. These are extremely detailed with good bass. Fantastic build quality these are semi-closed earphones, with coiled cables. We can also offer you the Koss products as we have them in stock. However these are portable earphones. The ATH-M20 are studio monitors headphones. They come with one year warranty from us.

^^ Thanks, I saw your thread (I generally surf a lot before asking a question :)), I am just curious that with normal onboard sound card or sound coming from my phone. Will these be overkill? I do not mind saving few 100 if I can not use a product to its fullest. :)

M50 are easy to buy so i dont see a reason why the M20 wont be.

But i 'd still recommend the Koss Portapro

Portapros have very good reviews aroud the net, while i have not seem many reviews on the M20.

ask Brendon ( BF1983 ) , he has the portapro and highly recommends it.

I would really recommend the Sennheiser PX80. Their sound signature is very close to the awesomeness that the PX 100 is - but at a significantly lower price. They fall into your budget too.

I love the Portapros and its no secret that I am a big fan of them. :p

However I have also heard the M20s and I find them pretty good VFM as well.

They sell for around 2.1k and they should last a long time.

While I do like the Portapros with the forward midrange their build quality is not the best. They can get very uncomfortable after some time and their overall construction does seem a bit weak.

SQ I prefer the Portapros a bit more but the M20s are no slouch and build quality wise the Audio-Technica has a clear advantage. Plus isolation is much better on the M20s so gaming will sound better on the M20s. Neither headphones have any clear drawbacks that you need to watch out for.

Back