Which is the BEST Anti-Theft App for ANDROID that works BEST in situation?

Techie#1

Skilled
After sorely loosing out my Moto Defy (stolen) recently,the memory of which is still very very fresh in my mind & remembering which puts a lot of stress on me at times.....i have just got a Samsung Galaaxy S2 as my next Best Phone!
Yes, this is a real lovely phone,......& of course i'm very happy with it hopefully,i will now start to forget my ex-defy as a Big Next step.

But the BIG worry thing about SGS2 is it's one Big Expensive phone & about 11-12k more expensive than my ex-moto defy & naturally,i have more than double worried about loosing out/misplacing the sgs2 or of it being theft! Hence, i want to fortify it& secure it as much as i can & also install Anti-Theft App that Works BEST in case my SGS2 goes lost/missing or theft !

So,Apart frm taking all normal & logical steps of NOT misplacing the phone of my own,i want get the BEST Anti-Theft App for ANDROID that works BEST in a loss/theft situation?

So, friends, do send ur recommendations! Feedback from any member who did have such a Anti-theft app/mobile tracker thing installed on the phone when it was lost & they could successfully retrieve the phone on basis of that, is more than welcome!

Anyway...plz send ur answers quickly!

for my lost defy,plan b i have tried, but problem is it directs me to my sgs2 that i'm currently holding in my hand....coz it's based probably based on the carrier sim,so it directs me to the duplicate sim of the original(which was lost along with defy) i'm currently having in my sgs2....so No use there.Lookout is on the other hand needs to be installed in the phone priior to it being lost!

For Defy,i want something that tracks down to the mobile instead of the sim,...probably that works through the phone's unique IMEI no...any recommendations/ideas?.
For SGS2,i have already installed Lookout on it!

Any other recommendations or also any stories of successful tracking of mobile phone?

I think Prey is a good software....Takes snaps of the thief,location and other info...and sends it to your email id.....Only thing to be concerned is your own privacy :p

I also lost my Defy some months ago. I can install these software's but what next? The phone anyway has various locks and its non usable until the bl00dy thief resets the whole device. Wont the software also get deleted?

Prey creates a guest account on my computer,so that the thief can log in conveniently....never installed it on a smartphone....It must be having something similar....and you should have installed it on the phone prior to the theft....after the theft...You update your prey account that the device is stolen...and then Prey gets into action

Doesn't a factory/master reset+sim change negate ANY anti theft measures? I don't think we can directly track by IMEI number can we?

^^ I don't remember the name but I saw an anti theft app which installs itself in the system partition so it isn't removed even by a format or a factory reset. The only way to remove it is to install a fresh ROM.

Check out this impressive security app shootout -
Mobile Security App Shootout - Android News, Apps, Games, Phones, Tablets - Android Police

Basically out of all the apps ''Android Lost'' and ''AVG Antivirus Free'' provides the best features for free and ''Cerberus'' is best paid option.

Others have key limitation as pointed out below -
* No Remote SMS support (eg. Lookout) - So you need to keep you mobile data on all the time. Not a good idea.
* No SIM change alert - First thing a thief does is change the SIM and getting that new number can be crucial.
* No remote GPS control - Keeping your GPS on all the time is more practical than keeping mobile data on, still accident happen and this feature can make a difference. No need to root if you're on >2.3.3
* No Remote Camera and Microphone - GPS track in certain places can be spotty. A 500mtrs radius track is no good and this feature can be handy.
* No online interface (eg. PhoneLocator) - Although controlling via SMS is foolproof, having an online interface simplifies the process.
* No Root support - This is an hardcore feature! The app can plant itself in /system partition and can survive a factory reset which is very likely if the thief has a 3 digit IQ.
* Crazy annual subscription model - Its a complete suckage for people with lack of Credit Card. And a job. And a life.
PS - Oh in case you needed more reason that HTC phones are crap, their 'Phone finder' feature doesn't work. It just rings a ring.
Tested on Incredible 2 and Explorer.

Thanks friend for putting in some valuable information & links there...inspite of installing some good anti-theft s/w..if u cant put ur mind cool in those crucial first moments..the chances of getting back the phone gets petty slim!

I am using Samsung's Own 'Find My Mobile' Setting where you can remotely lock the device/wipe/find it. Also, if the SIM is changed, you will get the latest Phone Number to which it is changed :)

In addition i also have kaspersky Mobile Security with all Anti theft options enabled.

These two can secure your phone, save your personal data and locate if required. :) GPS can also be enabled whenever you need it, even if it is lost.

I tried them all and I settled with PhoneLocator. It has a web interface and SMS control, and by far the nicest UI and functions.

There is a built in mobile tracker by samsung on the S2. It is under Location and Security in the settings menu.

You can track the phone from he website https://samsungdive.com after setting it up.

I have tried it myself and was able to track the phone, I was able to ring it, forward phone calls and SMS's being made. Even extract phone logs. You can even lock the phone and wipe it out remotely. Using this I dont see any need to have a separate app.

No [font=arial, sans-serif]MotoBlur for India [/font][font=arial, sans-serif] [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]
<
[/font]

Back