Storage Solutions Which is the best backup solution? RAID, External Drive, Network Drive or Online?

BikeAdvice

Disciple
Recently one of my drives failed for the first time in my life (Well actually second time - first one was a 2 GB one nearly 12 years back!) and I just realized how important backup solutions are.

I have been doing a lot of research on backup solutions and found out that

• Carbonite.com offers unlimited online backup for 1 PC but bandwidth is a slight problem initially.
  • RAID1 fails when both drive fails due to power surge or software corruption then it is of no use
  • External drive also has same power surge problem. Disconnection and connection external drive is not a great option.
  • Network drive is not safe from fire/theft and does not clone drives like RAID 1.

Looking from my own post it seems that a RAID1 + Network backup + Online backup provides the ultimate automatic data protection but it is hardly an option because of the cost involved in setting this all up.

If you wanna say "spend money depending on how much your data is worth to you", please do not reply to this thread.

I would like genuine inputs from people who have been there, done that. Thanks.

:huh:

try this....

raid 1 in your system...plus keep backup of mission critical data in a seaprate HDD[multiple if needed] and keep it really safe...like antistatic bag + foam covers...etc....

I do not want to connect and disconnect drives. I want all the data to be anytime accessible and it should be safe as well. I tried having critical data in multiple drives in the past and ultimately I end up in confusion with multiple versions and unmatched data in various drives.

Say for example I have a set of 10 photo albums. If I am adding the 11th album, I just wanna add it. I do not want to get and connect my drives.

Well, you really need to spend the amount of money depending on the type of data.

IMO, If there is such important data really, get a cheap netbook, make it run freenas or such a software. make the drive a network drive. save the data to it. also, if reqd, for local backup, get another 2.5" HDD of similar capacity and put it in mirror mode.

this will avoid the power surge problems, plus if power fails, then netbook has battery. just dont keep it running 24x7.

I have a Belkin router which has a USB port. I can install a printer or USB hdd in it. It would be enough for network backup? I have a 1 TB external drive.

Excluding the problem of power surge, If I am going to store only data and no OS on my Raid 1 Disks, then it is pretty much safe right? I have an SSD where I will have the OS.

i've been using external hard drive to backup system and important data. It is easy to carry, and safer than internal hard drive.
RAID 1 also can do the job, but i think it is a waste of space.
Never tried any network drive or online backup.

i recently setup the raidon 4bay gr-5630-sb3 with 2tb x 4 in raid5 for backup purpose.

you can keep it always connected to your pc via esata or usb3 or you could connect it via usb to the router as well.

http://www.raidon-usa.com/content.php?sno=0000303

looking for a good software for automated backup now. any suggestions. sorry for hijacking the thread, hope you dont mind.

update- using syncback free. great software for backup.

stormblast said:
looking for a good software for automated backup now. any suggestions. sorry for hijacking the thread, hope you dont mind.

update- using syncback free. great software for backup.

Try Allway Sync
BikeAdvice said:
Excluding the problem of power surge, If I am going to store only data and no OS on my Raid 1 Disks, then it is pretty much safe right? I have an SSD where I will have the OS.

You can build a system to arrest power surge by fixing problems on various levels.

Level 1: Get your house wiring checked for earthing. A trained electrician should not charge you more than 200 bucks for that service.

Level 2 : Buy a decent UPS. I have found that APC UPSes are pretty good at handling power fluctuation. (Hyderabad is a nightmare when it comes to power). This should also refine power input to your storage system.

Level 3 : Buy PSU (SMPS) of a reputed brand such as Corsair (expensive) or VIP (inexpensive but rock solid).

Level 4 : Add a power surge suppressor , preferably something like Belkin Gold which has protection from power surge in Cable TV lines, Phone Lines (Airtel/BSNL Broadband) and LAN (Direct LAN internet lines) cables.

Total Bill should be around Rs. 6500 = 200 + 3500 + 1200 (VIP 400w) + 1600 which is a little on the higher side. But I guess this also ensures total peace of mind. :)

Back