Security Software Which is the best free AV around?

Switch

Skilled
As the thread title says... I want a good free antivirus for my office PC... Should take few resources as i have a Venice 3000+..

TIA

Switch

AVG is also an good option, its quite light on the system too. I myself run it on my 3000 venice. But its not very effective, it could not detect the I DNT HATE MOZILLA! ORKUT IS BANNED!! virus :(

I'm gonna shift to avast and see how effective it turns out to be..

rushabht said:
AVG is also an good option, its quite light on the system too. I myself run it on my 3000 venice. But its not very effective, it could not detect the I DNT HATE MOZILLA! ORKUT IS BANNED!! virus :(

I'm gonna shift to avast and see how effective it turns out to be..
That was not a virus but a kind of spyware, even NOD32 was not able to detect it.

+1 for AVG. hv been using on my home pc for years. hardly any trouble so far. but, if you have sensitive data on ur office pc it might not be a good idea to have something like AVG. for that i'd prefer kaspersky.

A couple of days back I was given a price of 350/- for Kaspersky Anti Virus (with one years liscence which is Re 1/- for each days use) by Gulbir of Prime.... I think this price is as good as FREE ... or very close to it !! :)

Thanks for that easy... But i tried using the Kapersky latest edition few days back... It could be just me but i found my p2p speeds crashing a lot and system running relatively slow...

As for now i have downloaded avast... Will go to NP and buy a copy of kapersky in few days... Will try it again as loads of peeps are suggesting that... earlier i was using 6.0 and it was working fine...

using AVG ....has detected and cured a coupla viruses that manages to sneek thru pen drives ......hardly dents sys performance

Switch said:
i was using 6.0 and it was working fine...
The Kaspersky from Prime is ver 6 :) Gulbir mentioned that he also had a 3 year liscence available but did not have a price for it at that time.

I'm also using the AVG Free Edition for over a year and without any problems. It worked great on XP and now on Vista also :hap2: ... I think it was one of the first Antivirus packages to be certified by MS as Vista compliant

checksum said:
+1 for AVG. Haven't had a single virus attack for more than 2 years now. And consumes very less resources
i'm using the AVG Free-Version.. n it's good n all but yeah..
i just can't update my virus signatures :bleh:
i even tried the *ahem* copy ..stil no luck..
all it says is.. update failed :S

v1gnesh said:
i just can't update my virus signatures ....all it says is.. update failed

I had this problem last year and I uninstalled AVG and reinstalled the latest version which I downloaded from AVG and it then worked fine. Could be a problem with the Firewall blocking the AVG updates.

Eazy said:
I had this problem last year and I uninstalled AVG and reinstalled the latest version which I downloaded from AVG and it then worked fine. Could be a problem with the Firewall blocking the AVG updates.
not gonna try now :p
have shifted to comodo anti-virus :D (free version :bleh:)

Back