Which is the best Router among the following?

prohank

Disciple
So these are the routers
1.TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300Mbps 1552/-
http://www.flipkart.com/tp-link-tl-...icmpid=reco_rp_personalhistoryFooter_router_3

2.Netgear N300 WIRELESS ROUTER (JWNR2000) 1792/-
http://www.flipkart.com/netgear-n30...r2000/p/itmdffyskyzfsfjn?pid=RTRDFFYGHARTZXKM

3.Cisco Linksys E900 Wireless-N300 Routr 2350/-
http://www.flipkart.com/cisco-links...outer/p/itmd9tnc9enstruf?pid=RTRD9TC4N7HWBFPF

Need good wifi range in two 1BHK flats so three walls penetration is what I expect.

TP link is cheap and supports dd-wrt so its my first choice.But don't know about its WiFi range.

But the above points can be sacrificed for good WiFi so the next possible router I chose was Netgear(Only has 1 antenna sadly)but cheaper than the next one.

I would go with Cisco blindfolded(a friend has this) but I am a price conscious person(a li'll bit)also it seemed a bit overpriced to me considering the features it provides.(its an eye candy though:joyful:)

Have to buy a router in this week itself.
A good deal/coupons are welcome:p

I am thinking of TP link but you guys know the best.
Thanks again.

The Cisco E900 has a broadcom chipset and supports tomato. Its a little pricey, but its exactly the same hardware as the E1200 thats nearly 1k more (now the E1200 looks overpriced). It did quite well on smallnetbuilder's wireless throughput tests. The range dropped fast in their last test; however I know someone using it in a 2 floor apartment and apparently hasn't had issues with it being accessible all over. If your friend is willing, you could borrow his Cisco just to test it out.

Another broadcom + tomato option is the Asus RT-N12 C1, however the stock firmware leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited:
three walls penetration is what I expect.

Surfing, possible, streaming not possible.

I'm using a JNR3210 and it just about manages streaming across one wall (not HD/FHD, as it's an AP and not the main router). Surfing and file browsing is possible at two walls. Three wall performance is very weak, just about manage surfing but lots of timeouts. This is with 5dBi antennae, the stock performance is a little worse.

You can claw back performance by dropping down to 54mbps. Almost double the throughput at far distances, though with a lower absolute max speed close up.

Skip the Cisco routers, its not really that great, and I dont think its worth the price.
Will try to reconsider.

The Cisco E900 has a broadcom chipset and supports tomato. Its a little pricey, but its exactly the same hardware as the E1200 thats nearly 1k more (now the E1200 looks overpriced). It did quite well on smallnetbuilder's wireless throughput tests. The range dropped fast in their last test; however I know someone using it in a 2 floor apartment and apparently hasn't had issues with it being accessible all over. If your friend is willing, you could borrow his Cisco just to test it out.

Another broadcom + tomato option is the Asus RT-N12 C1, however the stock firmware leaves a lot to be desired.

yup searched about the E1200.
The problem of borrowing is he is a college friend,lives very far and I have to purchase the router anyhow within this week meaning on/before Sunday at most.
About tomato yeah he told me about that but again.... is it worth the price in comparison to TP Link?I am not really that into TP Link infact ignored it initially.
Thanks.

Surfing, possible, streaming not possible.

I'm using a JNR3210 and it just about manages streaming across one wall (not HD/FHD, as it's an AP and not the main router). Surfing and file browsing is possible at two walls. Three wall performance is very weak, just about manage surfing but lots of timeouts. This is with 5dBi antennae, the stock performance is a little worse.

You can claw back performance by dropping down to 54mbps. Almost double the throughput at far distances, though with a lower absolute max speed close up.

Do you mean streaming not possible in general(most of mid range routers) or for one of these specified routers?
Thanks for the tip.

But the real question is how is the WiFi range in these routers?
and How is TP Link?

Do you mean streaming not possible in general(most of mid range routers) or for one of these specified routers?

In general, any router should offer reasonable streaming performance across one wall. The higher end routers are able to maintain better throughput and could probably deliver it two walls away. This is due to better radio, better RF optimisation and better processors that can keep the buffers full and synchronised.

Note that the correct answer to your question is that 'it depends'. Your specific layout, router capability, antenna geometry - and no external is not always better than internal, it depends.

I always get better signal strength with 2.4ghz, for example, but ultimate transfer speed is always better with 5ghz. There are a lot of variables when it comes to wireless networks of all kinds. Brute power is a good solution but not always accessible to consumers. TP Link, for example, does not conform to the WI-FI Alliance specs because it does not enforce good neighbor policy on 40MHz channels. Though it seems a good idea, the resulting interference may cause signal losses in some cases.

How thick are your walls in inches ? 6, 9, more
Each is 6" thick[DOUBLEPOST=1402216153][/DOUBLEPOST]After a lot of :banghead: I think I will be going with this one here-
TP-Link 300 Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Router (TD-W8968)
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/tplink-300mbps-wireless-n-usb/1490743

its V2.x but I am worried about this:
Standard IEEE : IEEE 802.3, 802.3u
no IEEE 802.11 ? :eek: means no WiFi?
although no one complained about it.

Ok, its not mentioned in either snapdeal or flipkart but official TP Link page says it has IEEE 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n so phewwww...
anything else that I should be aware of?[DOUBLEPOST=1402218320][/DOUBLEPOST]But there's one more problem that I didn't mention and I am sorry for that.
I have to connect this router to another one(Dlink mobile companion) at my friends home a floor below.
For that purpose do we use the WAN port or LAN will suffice?
Because W8968 has RJ11 WAN.

Last edited:
Back