Linux Which is the best version for linux for desktop

ya josh pls provide a tute i don't want to play with primary partition any way i will try to get a new HDD and flow shirish's great tutorial

Sure i will post a tutorial on how to install on logical partition.

Here is a screen shot of FC5 installation in extended partition. Hope u all can see one primary. After that extended starts (W95 Ext'd). Dont get confused by all those linux partitions but all are essentially logical drives in extended. They also happen to be the last drives so in case i want to remove linux, i will boot into windows rescue. Run command fixmbr, fixboot etc so that boot sector is overwritten by windows. Once u confirm that simply delete the partitions from Windows.

ya

i agree with josh we can install linux on logical partiton too.

here is a image of my partiton distribution.

and if u want to remove linux just delete the partitions from windows and then

FIXMBR from windows rescue mode to recover original windows MBR.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 133
Hi all,

Instead of me posting a tute somebody has done a review in a more impressive way. Head to Lunapark6 » Archive » Ubuntu Dapper Review for some good screenshots alongwith the famed XGL thing. Don't be afraid by the usage of cmd line. I'm sure somebody will wrap the whole thing in a nice interactive script with a dash of icon. I''ll be cross-posting the link to the Ubuntu 6.06 LTS thread too. Although he hasn't talked through the whole installation & skipped quite a lot of details he gave some high-points. My sore point is the graphics card story. I don't 've hence it would've been difficult. Once or twice it's done then it's into the system.

i use Ubuntu its really g8 and easy to configure ( i was completely newbie to linux ,but configuring and using ubuntu is quite simple) .

i use 3 os 1 xp pro for programming ,2 xp pro for internet and gamming

and 3 ofcourse Ubuntu (Just 5 gb space required) for learning Linux .

really fat32 makes life simple , for multiple OS's

ok guys finally finished installing SUSE linux 10.1.shirish u have provided a great help to me now pls answer my following queries also.

1.how to connect to internet. i am using Globespan virata USB ADSL modem

2.for what prupose i can use suse.can i do all the task that i do in windows.

3.need some tips & tricks and need to learn lots of things about linux

once again thank u for the support u have provided

will come back a little later in the day on this. Before that define what all tasks do u do in windows? Then I could perhaps guide u to the software best suited to the job. AFA the ADSL modem is concerned, PPOE over Ethernet is much better than USB. USB was kind of finicky last yr. when I used it. Within the yr. how much progress has been done I'm not aware of.

u mean that i will have problem using USB.i dont have a choice i have to use it.Task i do in windows.
1.Browse net and check mails.
2.do lots of work in MS office word,execl powerpoint.
3.play games.
BTW i want to learn linux commands do some advanced configuration in linux.

In GNU/Linux there are more than 1 app. which one can choose :-

1. In mail clients there is sylpheed, sylpheed claws, Evolution, Gnus, Novell Evolution, pine, mutt, mh-E, elm, slm, Pico & on & on. Now each client have their voracious supporter hence wouldn't say which is better or worse. (Been sighed in many a flame war on the same topic). So a big white flag before I venture into any of this.

Just a brief idea about some of the notable ones :-

1. pine & mutt :- these are text-based clients. The good point about them is speed. They're fast. Both have their own brownie points but Mutt has an in-built MTA. So if done properly a Mail server is up & running

2. sylpheed & sylpheed claws :- These are GUI-based clients. Sylpheed claws is a fork having many more features than the original.

3. Novell Evolution 2 :- The much hated, the much loved client. This is an enterprise grade one in all kinda thing. It has integrated connectivity with Novell Groupwise as well as MS Exchange server.

4. Gnus :- This one is an interesting one as its part of GNU Emacs/Xmacs. Not many people know that Emacs has its own IDE & programming language (lisp) so if u're the programming kind then you could do stuff to your liking. Its often argued that Gnus has the most no. of features than all the other mail/news readers (except perhaps Novell Evolution)
I could go on & on but let some things be found out by you. That's the joy with GNU/Linux systems.

A foot-note I would like to add however is the MH message handling system. It's unique in the sense that it's not 1 program but quite a bunch of programs loosely interacting with each other. Also they don't store the messages in a single file but each message would have its own file in a special directory. The beauty of this system is that some powerful filtering methods can be applied & in some senses in much like a mini-database system. There're enhancements to the project known as MH-E

Browsers :- Here also one is spoiled. Right from FF which is available u have Konqueror, K-Melon, Galeon, Kazehakase, Skipstone, Salamander & on & on. Again u'll find people swearing by one or the other. So no prizes for guessing my favorite it's FF here. Although also like Epiphany as well as Kazehakase even though it's just one guy who's developing the whole thing.

Games there's no dearth of Games on GNU/Linux . I would rather point u to the master list at wikipedia which has links to all the other Gaming lists.

This is a tricky one. O.k. what I would recommend is first read the docs. There is a Suse user guide as well as Suse admin guide which will tell u quite a bit about what rpms are, what srpms are & so on & so forth. Instead of putting your efforts into learning commands put more into understanding concepts. Once the concepts are understood then commands & their logic is easily understood. Of course with the GUI & all for day-to-day purposes u shouldn't need to use it although the CLI is fast.

Secondly, see which is the nearest repositery & download all the security updates. Even a month in a GNU/Linux distro. is a long-time, any vulnerabilities & bug-fixes are fixed as they're open. Also install only what is needed. This will make the OS & the environment compact which is more secure as well as easier to handle in the long-term.

Hopefully 've answered the above to the full satisfaction :) As always flames, tips welcome :)

the USB modem ... is there a seperate cable for ur lan card through it ?? I mean USB is there for power + data transfer or what ??

For USB devices can recommend only 1 resource Linux USB & the USB guide Although it's written for the earlier 2.4 kernel it should hold in good stead. Just need to know what enhancements have been added in the 2.6 kernels. Just do a simple uname -a & it'll give the no. & name of u'r kernel. That's the starting point. I'll be playing around with USB devices but in the future (another 6 months) :)

Josh said:
the USB modem ... is there a seperate cable for ur lan card through it ?? I mean USB is there for power + data transfer or what ??
no slot for lan cable USB modem get from USB slot.(it is bus powered)

then plug in the USB modem. Check with dmesg command to see it the modem has been recognised or not. If ur machine has recognised the modem then not the /dev/ xxxxx which the modem will use from dmesg only. Use this to set up the dialer utility which comes with Suse.

Back