Which is the best VFM HD Media Player to connect to my Sony HDTV??? :-/

BikeAdvice

Disciple
I own a sony bravia ex72 - 40". I don't have a blu-ray player and have no idea to get one. I want to make the best use of my TV!

So I would like to buy a VFM HD media player. It should support a wide variety of formats and should have support for subtitles!

WD Live, Amkette Flash TV and Transcend are some of the products I know. No idea whether there are more options.

Also my question - does the HD movies playback smooth enough? Because it doesn't on a PC with low GPU.

I am beginning to drop the idea of getting a HTPC or a rig for playback of HD movies. Is HD media player a good replacement for a PC?

Yes for ONLY watching movies/listening to music, its much better than an HTPC. Small size,cheaper, lower power consumption. And yes most of them play 1080p videos smoothly because the chipset is designed in such a way.

I suggest get the Asus O!Play Mini. Its cheap (~3.5k) and plays almost all formats.

vantheman5211 said:
^^ yep it is compatible.

Asus O!Play Mini has

Composite Audio L/R

S/PDIF Out (Optical)

Logitech:

Works with:

-Computers, music players, TVs, Blu-rayâ„¢ and DVD players, game consoles and other audio sources with digital optical, digital coaxial, RCA audio or 3.5 mm out

- Nintendo Wiiâ„¢ using the AV cable that comes with your console

----

How will I be connecting the two? Which is the best?

RCA and Composite audio are the same?

S/PDIF = digital optical???

Little confused!!

^Lest I forget to mention. You can alternately plug the toslink cable from your LCD's toslink out to the speakers. The HDMI cable from the O!Play will transmit the audio to your TV which will passthrough this signal to the speakers. No drop in SQ or any changes whatsoever.

If I buy the Logitech Speaker System Z623

Works with:

Computers, music players, TVs, DVD players and other audio sources with 3.5 mm or RCA audio out

Then I guess the 3.5mm audio jack is enough because there are only 2 channels. Am I right?

digital optical is only for 5.1 surround sound right?

It works for any audio signal. What gannu suggested is the best. Use Tv's RCA out to the speakers and feed the input through HDMI to TV from the Oplay. That way you can control the volume via TV remote as well as Oplay's but if any one is set at low volume, the other device cant increase the volume beyond a certain limit. Its more like an headphone amp with volume control connected to a PMP.

I received the player today. Works awesome. Movies are so smooth.

Only difficult is that the interface is a little sluggish. But good enough for a player of Rs.3,600

I just bought the Asus o!play mini and I am impressed with its performance. Only thing is that the interface is a little sluggish and not very nimble. My dad like the o!play mini very much and asked me to buy one for him.

I am planning to buy another one for myself but my desire goes to the o!play HD2 with internal hard drive bay!

I just want to know what other advantages that the oplay hd2 have compared to the oplay mini and will the interface speed be higher than the mini?

I'd recommend the Kaiboer H1055+ from eBay.in, for ~4600INR. Internal HDD space, bitstreaming of HD audio, decent price. Using mine with a 2TB internal HDD with no issues.

BikeAdvice said:
I just bought the Asus o!play mini and I am impressed with its performance. Only thing is that the interface is a little sluggish and not very nimble. My dad like the o!play mini very much and asked me to buy one for him.

I am planning to buy another one for myself but my desire goes to the o!play HD2 with internal hard drive bay!

I just want to know what other advantages that the oplay hd2 have compared to the oplay mini and will the interface speed be higher than the mini?
The chipset used in HD and Mini models are same its just the Bit torrent and inbuilt HDD which separates each other nothing else.

Since the budget now suggested is pwards of 6k, why not Apple TV 2? Jailbreak it and install XBMC, a media player. Check XBMC.org for more details.

manju_rn said:
Since the budget now suggested is pwards of 6k, why not Apple TV 2? Jailbreak it and install XBMC, a media player. Check XBMC.org for more details.

Tell me more about it! Has anyone of the TE members done it?

Back