Linux Which Linux Distribution for a P4 PC

DarkAngel

Skilled
Setup:

P4 2.26GHz

Gigabyte 8I845GVM-RZ mobo

256MB DDR RAM

Which linux distribution can i run on this PC.

Need it for browsing, C programming, movies, music

Edit: Mods, please change the title to 'Which Linux Distribution for a P4 PC'

+1 to ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala -- you can have it shipped for free within a week from their website.

btw they've stopped giving those ubuntu stickers now :-( !!

+1 for Linux Mint, but they don't ship it to you. Also, the gnome desktop will be a teensie weensie bit heavier than Xubuntu. On the current config, playing HD movies (above 720p) will be a little buggy, if it plays at all. Although Mint gives you codecs out of the box, Ubuntu 9.10 is not as painful as it used to be. There will be a prompt on your first login to install restricted formats, and that's that.
Also, if you are comfortable with programming, think of either Arch or Slackware. Not too hard, really, and not too painful either. Slackware gives you codecs out of the box too. Arch has rolling updates, if you plant to use the setup for a long time.
If all of this is confusing you, then just go for Mint.

i would suggest first try ubuntu 9.10, if u feel the performance isnt good or sluggish then move on to Xubuntu (ubuntu + xfce) :D

Karthi007 said:
Setup:
P4 2.26GHz
Gigabyte 8I845GVM-RZ mobo
256MB DDR RAM
Which linux distribution can i run on this PC.
Need it for browsing, C programming, movies, music
Edit: Mods, please change the title to 'Which Linux Distribution for a P4 PC'

256MB is less in the present linux distro age. I would recommend you the latest and very fast but a lightweight Linux distro which would meet all the above requirements:

Puppy Linux Community - Home
Puppy Linux
package management

Good luck!

Note that it is currently not available, next (first) release will be in April as version 10.04 :D Unless you want to try the alpha go ahead!

Back