Which Linux for me?

Slax is from slackware. Slackware is for advanced users but slax is made simple. Install slax on Usb and try it out you will like it.

Kubuntu is another option for newbies.

Kubuntu isnt in good shape (but upcoming 9.04 will be much better), I would say either go for Mandriva if you want KDE or go with Ubuntu if you want GNOME...

even after trying the steps in the link? like reconfigure xserver and selecting vesa 800x600 mode etc? i dunno, probably some info on their forums to start with vesa video driver?

vishalrao said:
even after trying the steps in the link? like reconfigure xserver and selecting vesa 800x600 mode etc? i dunno, probably some info on their forums to start with vesa video driver?

i tried with entering username&pasword it does accept after it says your session didn't last for more than 10secs...i selected gnome fail safe as suggested but still no use...

openSUSE is very cluttered...

actually if you only really want mandriva+kde then wait for the upcoming 2009.1 release don't go for 2009.0 version - kde still sucks there.

for now you might try ubuntu 8.10 ...

Is this the lighest?
Dark Star said:
Dreamlinux :)

yaar use Ubuntu 8.10, it installs like a programe. U can install it within C partition, takes anything 4-10 GB space. 100% Hassle free ;)
ubergeek said:
not to hijack the thread but

suppose if install linux on my system how do i removie is there of the hdd going kaput if i format the linux partition how do i removie the grub loader than :huh: darkstar please shine some light ont shubject ;)

No.. If you want the lightest get Ratpoison :p Yea the desktop will work even in 8Mb :p

Dreamlinux isn't the lightest XFCE but the features and cool utils it provides is worth using :)

P.S : Even if you install Ubuntu [which is very heavy] don't go with WUBI cause once you get used to it you won't be able to install other distro [which is very much needed after using ubuntu :p] :p

as per vishalrao's suggestion i downloaded and installed Xubuntu .....
after 2-3 hrs of use i had no clue what i am doing....
the only thing i could do sucessfully was running few games....creating folders and delteing them.....so uninstalled it right away
now i am downloading Mandriva 2009 kde4.... :D

^^Huh. .Mandriva KDE4 in no sense a light distro :p If you want download Mandriva XFCE or Puppy Linux :)

A piece of advice Mandriva and other distro will release new version after few days so either test the development version [very usable] or wait for few days :)

my secondary rig on which i am thinking of installing linux is

p4 1.6ghz

256mb ram

nvidia 16mb card

will it work on this rig?

vishalrao said:
did you not try web browsing , email checking, media playback, internet radio etc?

I couldnt run my sify broadband client on it :)

Dark Star said:
^^Huh. .Mandriva KDE4 in no sense a light distro :p If you want download Mandriva XFCE or Puppy Linux :)

A piece of advice Mandriva and other distro will release new version after few days so either test the development version [very usable] or wait for few days :)

As per : System Requirements - Mandriva Linux

1.It can run on any amd/intel cpu
2. it requires 256mb ram (though 512mb is recomended)
3.3-4gb HD space is required

and my pc fulfill all these requ.'s :)

Back