Camera which macro lens????

i need a macro lens for my nikon d5000.. so guys plzz suggest ...
budget $400 max
tokina , tamron , nikon and sigma???? suggest from any one of these brands

The 90mm tamron is awesome.

Dragonflycanal6.jpg

+1 for Tamron 90mm

A very good value for money lens...

bit slow AF, but generally MF is used in macro (given you know to use MF)

make sure yo have a good tripod too...

The Tamron is a fine choice. but personally i find that for macro one needs to really focus manually anyway, so why not look at manual lenses which can be obtained much much cheaper and have fabalous results.
The flispside is that you lose metering.
This is a huge problem initially but as you get used to it, I think it is worth the extra effort.

The Nikon 55 micro 2.8 and 3.5 ais and ai are cheap but fine choices.
If you need more working distance, the nikon 105 micro Ais and the tamron 90 mm manual are excellent choices too.
Also though not a macro lens you will be surprised what nice close-ups (not true macro) a $80 nikon Series E 75-150 can provide.
In fact you can mount even pre-Ai lenses on a D5000 which can be bought REALLy cheap.

The money you save, can be put towards a tripod (you will NEED one for macro), flash or some other lenses.

just my two cents, but hey if you have the money, go for the autofous option.
Though I am not very good, i seem to have more fun with the manual lenses.

dr.sankhadeep said:
Its either tamron 90m or sigma 105mm ...

Any other macro lens should i consider???
Nopes... these two are the only fitting your budget... You need to kick you a*s hard to buy Nikon's AF-S macros...

secondly, Skip Tokina...

also make sure for thrid party lenses, you pick the piece with AF motor on lens... else it wont AF on your cam...

Tamron 90mm is good option.... Sigma 105, although pretty decent lens, looses to Tamron by tiny margin. Also, Manual Focusing is more fun for macro... but if if AF does matter to you then skip Sigma 105, it's horribly slow lens for AF and lens motor is quite loud and sluggish. Between the Tammy and Sigma, my vote would go for Tammy.

If you're wiling to switch to MF, then as spolygon said, check some of the fully MF options... you can save decent amount of money and invest in a good tripod (almost a must for Macro photography).

Even my vote is for Tamron...

I second iGo and spolgyon for old MF macros... however look forward for it only if you are good in Manual exposure and focusing... metering would also be absent in those lenses... also do opt for Nikons only if getting old ones...

here is the lens compatibility for D5000 - Lens Compatiblity - Nikon D5000 | Nikon

Back