PC Peripherals Which media should I use for regular DVD recording?

tech.addict

Skilled
Hi everybody,

i just got a LG 4167b DVD writer.

I'm a newbie to DVD recording and varios formats. :huh:

I have a few basic querie:

i) what type of media (DVD-R or DVD+R) should I use for routine recording like copying movies etc?

ii) also what type RW media to use - and which one has best price to performance ratio?

iii) also the Lg writer supports DVD-RAM - where can I a DVD-RAM media and how much does it cost?

( hope that Techhead reading my post!!)

Arup

1. Any type of Media is fine. However, +R and Book type setting is recommended for DVD Movies

2. Doesnt amtter much :p

3. DVD RAM...hmmm..no idea..sorry :ashamed:

1. DVD-R, if you want your discs to play in most DVD-Players or even in older PC DVD-ROM drives.
2. Find the fastest, that's what matters most in case of RWs.
3. DVD-RAM media isn't widely available, and less so here than anywhere else.

Well, how much did you pay for that LG-4167B?

Would recommend you a DVD+R with bitsetting set to ROM. Will work on most of the drives. DVD-R though its said to be compatible I find it unreadabable by many drives.

The Sony DVD+RW is the Best media. Have a look at the sticky thread to get some idea.

Get some MBI or Sony media, +/-R doesn't really matter. DVD-RAM are best used for daily backups, quite easily available at Lamington Road, 3X discs cost 150 or so each.

well MBI is quite crappy if u ask me and sony is amazing but 2 expensive

if you want something that costs less and gives u quality burns then go in for a brand called UMAX,comes from taipei and has excellent quality

UMAX?? I saw few UMAX CD-R near my area rated at 52x speed and supported only 32x max. I doubt their quality. it may be fake also.

@ archish,most cd-r say 52 but depends on wut ur burner can handle 2 burn at those speedsnstance MBI cds burn at only 16x here,does that mean theyre fake,no good ?

plz guys donnnnnnt mix up the cds with dvds
theyre both diff ball games :p

Back