PC Peripherals Which MFP to get? (Printer/Scanner/Copy)

psynaps3

Disciple
Hi,

I would like a few suggestions on which MFP to get for a budget of around 10k. The printing functionality will be used most of the time and I so expect the cartridge to be cheap and efficient. Fax is optional. After sales service is important.

Thanks...

I bought the HP PSC 1410 a few months back. For 4000 it's a good deal and printing is cheap. Cartriges can be refilled for Rs. 75 (Black) or Rs. 750 (colour). The scanner is also quite good. No fax feature though.

No problems yet :) ... so I can't comment on after sales support.

I was working in a Printer company for software department. here are my few cents :

1. Inkjet Mfps are cheap but are not good for printing voluminous stuff. infact printer companies make more than 60 percent of revenue by selling catridges than printers. The only advantage of buying an inkjet printer is : its cheap. But I am sure you will shell out more than printer cost itself in no time if you intend to copy and print books

2. Laser Mfps on the other hand, are very costly, but then the cost per page is much lesser than inkjet. You should consider these mfps if you are thinking about voluminour printing (especially black and white ) . The color mfps, i think is way too overpriced. The advantage that these printers have over inkjet is that they have "toner catridges" or simply known as toners which is in form of powder and they are fused to the paper when you print. So effectively, the toners last for a longer time and gives you almost thrice the number of pages for the same inkjet volume

And finally, companywise, HP printers have highest percentage in world market ( i did not work for them though :D ) Their technology seems to be superior in entry level inkjet till midrange printers. So any of their printers should be a good buy. whether to go in for laser or inkjet mfps, you will have to decide :) . You can see all the models from their website and check out the features. It will help you decide the best one to buy for your budget, costwise and featurewise :)

Brother Laser MFPs are cheaper. It seems that Godrej sells them in India, but I couldn't locate a dealer when I was in market for MFPs.

I was also thinking of going for a laser BnW printer, but I am not sure if it will fit within my budget. Besides, I do occasionaly take a few colour printouts.

People who have already looked into this, can you please suggest me a few good models. Kindly make sure that you point out only those ones that are commonly available [;)]

khimera,

many thanks for the detailed post. I am inclined more towards the Canon range, but their price is just way off. I guess I will end up getting an HP.

Yamaraj,

Most of the dealers here haven't even heared of the Brother brand. It's HP all the way.

psynaps3 said:
Yamaraj,
Most of the dealers here haven't even heared of the Brother brand. It's HP all the way.
Precisely! In fact, not a single dealer here in Patna. I asked a counter girl to verify if there were no Brother printers indeed. She rang a number and muttered - "A customer is asking about Mother ...erm, what was the name once again, please?"

I couldn't even begin to laugh.

when you do buy any printer, first evaluate what is the volume of pages you will be printing per month. every printer comes with a monthly duty cycle. One of our office printers has a monthly duty cycle of less than 1000 pages. this one is out of order very often.

Invest in a colour laser. at around 20K its worth it. cost per page is less than a rupee for b&w.

You say you want to print books. Then remember that if you exceed the duty cycle, many printer companies like HP void the warranty, the first time you exceed this.

For 20K in the case of HP you get a nice 10000 page duty cycle, ADF for the scanner and 600 dpi colour. In most cheap printers even the paper tray wont hold more than 200 pages!!!

Also in an MFP can you scan and print at the same time? If not then during the time you have a long scan job, you may have to wait for a long time before you get to print anything.

If you only print in colour occasionaly, then it may be worth getting a separate inkjet, and a nice b/w mfp (laser) for about 12K. Depending on your use, you may even like to get a separate scanner and just a laser.

Guys,

I am not looking for a dedicated solution here. And there is no way that I can go over my 10k budget unless absolutely called for.

I might end up printing a book once in two months or so. Other than that, its mostly copying and printing around 50 or so pages every month.

Initially I thought of getting a laser black and white MFP, but i am not aware of any that fits within my budget. So i guess the only option left for me is to go for an inkjet based one. I would really appreciate it if you folks can provide me with some of the recommended models available in the local markets.

Thanks again...

@Crazy_Eddy,

Thanks. I am still searching for some review on the said model though. :)

Btw, does anyone understand why there is a 2x price difference for the Canon Pixma 530 b/w here and the states!!! What sort of a pricing strategy are they following? Weired!

^Canon have gone mad in this country. I was thinking about purchasing MP830, but when I was told it would come for 27k, I silently settled for an HP.

HP OfficeJet 6318 All-in-one is great! I purchased one only a few days back and it's working just fine. Quality, speed and features are good enough for a SOHO user.

You may also include HP Photosmart C5188 All-in-One in your list if you'll be printing lots and lots of quality photos. Otherwise, 6318 is fine enough.

Yes, most probably I will end up with the 6318. I could'nt find any reviews for the Epson model. It doesn't have an ADF or networking capabilities, but it looks solid and it uses 4 cartridges instead of 2. Hows the price of Epson cartridges compared to HP's?

Back