Graphic Cards which monitor for 8800GTS

mjain

Disciple
hi all,

i have a 17" samsung CRT. I have purchased a foxconn 8800GTS oc version. My friend was telling me that given the resolution my monitor supports, i will not see a great gaming performance difference with 8800GTS and say a X1950 which is some 100$ cheaper.
what I want to know is
1.Is this true?
2. if it is, what monitor should i go in for to realize the true potential of 8800GTS

any 17"LCD or even 19" LCD (not the wide screen ones) supports max of 1280*1024. A 19" CRT supports 1600*1200.

what would be the most cost-effective solution to this problem?

OCed Foxconn 320MB 8800GTS.

This is according to his siggy :p

@mjain ---- I dont think you HAVE to upgrade your monitor.

Many new games coming out will struggle on old cards. And the 8800 GTS supports DX 10. You can play Crysis in all it's glory

Get a 19" TFT. With the 320mb version their is no point using really high res. 19 inch monitors are fairly cheap and 1280x1024 with high levels of AA and AF is good enough.

[quote name='Nikhil']This is according to his siggy :p

:p Did not read his sig....since you already have a nice 8 series card...i will suggest you go for a 20 inch PMVA panel or if possible 20 inch dell s-ips panel monitor....

Else for 19 inch monitors use the search feature of the forum...there has been many suggestions for 19 inchers in the past few weeks

thanks guys. but still not yet sure. investing around 18K in a 20" WS TFT is tempting but if i can get 1600*1200 res and 8ms response with a 19" CRT at 10.5K isnt that better? any particualr disadvantages apart from bulk and lack of eye candy??

:) Most guys would say....that once you get addicted to a lcd you will never move back to crt.....I have not had the good fortune for comparisions.....but at this time and age I think a crt is best avoided

hey hw much did u get ur card from???

and also wont the 320mb struggle at high resolutions in all max settings in games like crysis etc...???

asking cause i really want to get a new card sick of my 78000gt...

satanofgamers said:
hey hw much did u get ur card from???
and also wont the 320mb struggle at high resolutions in all max settings in games like crysis etc...???
asking cause i really want to get a new card sick of my 78000gt...

320MB will struggle at high resolutions (1280x1024 & above) with all max settings in games like crysis surely

i have not yet laid my hands on the card. bought by my friend in the US. will get it next week or so. got it form newegg for 309$ in what i thought was a good deal. runs at 575 core and 1800 mem as opposed to 500 and 1500 reference. i will in all probability go in for a 19" CRT.

mjain said:
i have not yet laid my hands on the card. bought by my friend in the US. will get it next week or so. got it form newegg for 309$ in what i thought was a good deal. runs at 575 core and 1800 mem as opposed to 500 and 1500 reference. i will in all probability go in for a 19" CRT.

your 17" CRT is enough as I don't recommend 8800GTS 320MB for above 1024x768 with all settings maxed out

^^ Dude i play (i.e. get ~40-50fps) all the current games (incl. fear, graw, etc etc) on my 20incher at 1680x1050 with all settings maxed out on a not top of the line config..esp the graphics card is only 7900gto....and his 8800 gts is much better than mine....in all case, save up the money and go for either 2007wfp or 2025wm...monitors last much more than your config, so think more before jumping to any conclusion - 6-8k invested more for a 20inch lcd (rather than a 19inch crt), will be good...given the fast response, lesser strain, light weight, natural w.s. aspect ratio the lcds have....

Udit said:
your 17" CRT is enough as I don't recommend 8800GTS 320MB for above 1024x768 with all settings maxed out

lol..Udit...people dont have to always max out everything on everything...At higher res u can skip AA sometimes...

^^^8800GTS will be easily able to play curent gen games at 1280*1024 max without AA, with decent performance.....i dont need to prove myself the the benchies at xbitlabs will

Hotstuff said:
^^^8800GTS will be easily able to play curent gen games at 1280*1024 max without AA, with decent performance.....i dont need to prove myself the the benchies at xbitlabs will

At that res it will play max settings with AA for most games....

Back