Monitors Which monitor to buy?

guthmann

Disciple
Hi

I have a budget upto 20-25K, I am looking for large LCD display, with high resolution.. (I am not much of a gamer).. I usually want to use it for office work and see movies on it sometimes.. :cool2:

Please help me which monitor is best? resolution I am looking at is maybe 1600x1200 or 1680x1050 ... Pls advice

24"is very expensive atleast 40K, Can u recommend a Brand/Model? I am confused with all refresh rate/ contrast and stuff.. and dont have time to research...

if you can get a hand on the AOC 22" i think that will be best bang for buck. sometime back someone had quoted 16k for the 22"er on this forum.

specs are also good.

sunilyo said:
yes the two inches make a lot of difference when watching movies especially.

And the type of Panel makes even lot more difference. :p But I guess for most of us Indians, quantity matters more than quality.:hap5:

@guthmann: If you want a quality display thats has good color reproduction, get the 20" Dell 2007WFP (S-IPS Panel). That should be available within your budget of 20~25k. If you don't care much about quality or color reproduction, then the 22" Dell E227 (TN Panel) is available for around 15~16k.

As for me, I would rather buy a 17" CRT than go anywhere near a 22" TN panel. :p Believe me, those 22" TN Panels in spite of the size are 6~8k cheaper than 2007WFP for a reason. ;)

@ lord nemesis - yes u r right. quality does come at a price. of course if he is ok with 20 inch and goes on to buy the dell, then nothing like it.

hum bhartiya hain - BADA HAI TO BEHTAR HAI :p

Lord Nemesis said:
And the type of Panel makes even lot more difference. :p But I guess for most of us Indians, quantity matters more than quality.:hap5:

@guthmann: If you want a quality display thats has good color reproduction, get the 20" Dell 2007WFP (S-IPS Panel). That should be available within your budget of 20~25k. If you don't care much about quality or color reproduction, then the 22" Dell E227 (TN Panel) is available for around 15~16k.

As for me, I would rather buy a 17" CRT than go anywhere near a 22" TN panel. :p Believe me, those 22" TN Panels in spite of the size are 6~8k cheaper than 2007WFP for a reason. ;)

Dell plays panel lottery with its 2007wfp panels, one is the S-IPS from LG-Philiphs and the other is S-PVA from samsung and with no way of knowing till actual panel is shipped.:mad:
The problem wih the Samsung S-PVA is that they basically suck ( atleast in my eyes) , the black is too much of a problem with a massive gamma shift causing a phony 3D effect for my head, compared to this you will be better of with a E228 ( saw one at sayan's place)when compared with S-PVA dell in my office.
Just be carefull with dell2007wfp , you may not always get a S-IPS nowadays. :ill:

aceman said:
Dell plays panel lottery with its 2007wfp panels, one is the S-IPS from LG-Philiphs and the other is S-PVA from samsung and with no way of knowing till actual panel is shipped.:mad:
The problem wih the Samsung S-PVA is that they basically suck ( atleast in my eyes) , the black is too much of a problem with a massive gamma shift causing a phony 3D effect for my head, compared to this you will be better of with a E228 ( saw one at sayan's place)when compared with S-PVA dell in my office.
Just be carefull with dell2007wfp , you may not always get a S-IPS nowadays. :ill:

Do you have more info on this? What is the likelihood of getting a Samsung panel vs the S-IPS panel?

^^Yep, there are three types of panels.
S-Made by samsung which is really coooooooool
A-Not bad , difference is not noticeable to the un trained eye.
C-Pathetic
the advantage with Samsung is that we can look at the panel type at the retail Walla and it should be easy to differentiate a A and S from a C type unlike dell where are scre**d.

s@dism said:
Do you have more info on this? What is the likelihood of getting a Samsung panel vs the S-IPS panel?
The S-PVA in the dell2007 suffers from the classic color/gamma shift in the S-PVA types. Generally PVA produces better blacks due to the orientation of the PVA matrix crystals but black becomes more pronounced and causes the surrounding color to lose detail. The details would be visible if the panel or the head is slightly rotated. This causes a sort of a Phony 3D effect for the eyes causing severe strain. Also the S-PVA used by dell suffers from horrendous response times making it ill suited for games, in short not worth the 25,000 bucks paid for it. On the other hand the S-IPS 2007wfp is THE BEST PANEL available in India, as I said it is a lottery.
Coming to availability, what to say it is like playing russian roulate. the revision 3 of 2007wfp was mostly S-PVA and with Rev 4 is
a) Only S-IPS for Europe (lucky ba*****s)
b) A bit of both for the Americans ( these guys can return the thing back and get a full refund)
c) A lot more S-PVA for Asia ( why god , why???????)
I have used both these types , IPS in my current office and PVA when I had went to Taiwan. I myself wanted to play the lottery but then again I decided to go for a NEC Multisync the next time I go onsite.If you cannot do this get a guy who knows about panels and buy the 226BW from retail or buy a 226CW.

aceman said:
Lots of cool info

Thanks for the detailed post. Just wondering, what is the reason behind manufacturers like Dell or Samsung going for multiple panel types for the same model? Is there a random shortage of some panels from time to time? Or do these guys just buy lots of panels in bulk (overstock, I mean) and then have to keep using them for other models?

aceman said:
I decided to go for a NEC Multisync the next time I go onsite.

... I know you are just going to love this rumour from the forums.... NEC have plans to stop production of the IPS panels and only sell TN panels as those are too expensive and not enough buyers .... people in the forums mention that they have started hoarding the NEC IPS panels in anticipation
smilie_loco.gif
smilie_loco.gif

^^:sos: :sos: , yes even i heared the rumors NEC 90 series used to be AS-IPS and NEC 70 used to be MVA but will soon be moving to TN types :cursing: .Insted to world moving to 10 bits,12 bits , 14 bits world is moving to 6 bits, 4bits,2 bit........will nobody stop the onslaught of the TN ? The only hope is that LCD TV's PVA and MVA will filter to the desktop segment.

s@dism said:
Thanks for the detailed post. Just wondering, what is the reason behind manufacturers like Dell or Samsung going for multiple panel types for the same model? Is there a random shortage of some panels from time to time? Or do these guys just buy lots of panels in bulk (overstock, I mean) and then have to keep using them for other models?
With Samsung there might be small justification since demand out-stripped production and they ship only the same panel type but dell is downright cheating by changing even the panel types, I can only presume that Dell saved a few $$ by using the lottery.

This information is good .

Can you guys tell how to recognise the S- panel or which ever is best ?
Should we look on the model number ? system specs ? On the box ? on the panel back itself ?
If we dont find ^^ .....the next best alternative ?
Shed some gyan please.

Back